Gibson Brands Forums

My '68 All-Hog Kalamazoo by Gibson

ajay

That would be a KG-10. Ya gotta love the Melody Maker headstock. If I recall they were only built for maybe two years at the end of the 1960s. Gibson resurrected the Kalamzoo moniker for a budget line of instruments in the mid-1960s. They also put out fiberboard, bolt neck electric guitars under that name which are far more common than the acoustics. Gibson shut the project down in 1970 or 1971.

My recollection is the same as Zombiewoof's: I remember seeing the Kalamazoo all mahogany guitar with the melody maker headstock around 69. I used to see the electrics in pawn shops in the 70s--I think they were shaped like SGs but had bolt on necks.

It was about this time that Epiphone got off shored.

That would be a KG-10. Ya gotta love the Melody Maker headstock. If I recall they were only built for maybe two years at the end of the 1960s. Gibson resurrected the Kalamzoo moniker for a budget line of instruments in the mid-1960s. They also put out fiberboard, bolt neck electric guitars under that name which are far more common than the acoustics. Gibson shut the project down in 1970 or 1971.

Thanks for that, ZWoof.....as you mentioned, I now recollect some of the Kzoo bolt-on lectrics, but never dreamed they were made by Norlin-era Gibson! I thought, straight-up, overseas...

My recollection is the same as Zombiewoof's: I remember seeing the Kalamazoo all mahogany guitar with the melody maker headstock around 69. I used to see the electrics in pawn shops in the 70s--I think they were shaped like SGs but had bolt on necks.

It was about this time that Epiphone got off shored.

The Kalamazoo electrics were more Mustang shaped. And I am pretty sure the bodies were not made of wood but were all plywood or fiberboard or something. Funny thing is the Melody Maker pickups were nice and the value of these little guitars has been going up. I know a guy who used to buy them just to snag the electronics but has started putting them back together because of what the guitars will now sell for.

On the acoustics though if you want the same vintage all-mahogany guitar you also have the Harmony H-165. This was one of their better offerings and has a far beefier neck than the Kalamazoo which for me makes it far more playable. Based on the UMGF ad, they also can be had for quite a bit less.

Isn't this one for sale on the AGF?

My Brother has MS, and he can't play anymore. He's giving me his Mint Condition B-25 Natural, so I won't need both of them. I'm 57 and in bad health so it doesn't make sense to stack any more guitars. I hadn't intended on selling my Kalamazoo, but this thing with my Brother's B-25 just came up. They are essentially the same guitar, and My Brother's wins out for sentimentality.I hope that I didn't offend by selling right after posting this. I have my AJ for a nice Axe, my Dad's '38 Dobro for sliding, and now I'll have my Brother's B-25. Plus a nice ''73 Fender Telecaster in Blonde, and a Gibson EBO Bass. I don't need two small Gibsons, and I do love the Kalamazoo..

Archived