Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson midtown custom?

MikeThomasmusic

I'm a little late discovering these Midtown customs, they seem like a great value for the money. I've played some of those lower end Martin's with those composite fretboards and to me it felt and played pretty much like ebony,so I don't think the fretboard would bother me too much. I've always loved the tone from big chunks of mahogany guitars. I know they made them starting in 2011 as a limited thing, but AMS and Zounds appear to have 2014 models but only in the vintage burst and ebony. I was thinking of picking one of these up since its a tremendous value compared to spending over twice as much for an ES335. It seems like an even better guitar for someone like me who likes mahogany, and I believe the maple top is solid not laminate? It doesn't seem like they have them in any stores to try out. I'm pretty sure they have the 60's neck? How do they play? I'm really tempted as they even have some scratch and dents for a grand as well of core as new ones at $14 something.

This is kind of s stupid question but, believe it or not I kind of prefer the look and feel of the aged kluson style pearl keystone tuners over the grovers. Do you think since that guitar has the custom split diamond look with the big block inlay that changing out the grovers for Klusons would look weird or funny? I would definitely change the knobs to vintage top hat style,especially if I got the vintage burst. Just thought I'd ask if anyone owns one or played one what the verdict on these was? I really can't seem to find any negative reviews. Plus probably other than purist gear snobs,(which I'll admit I kind of used to be) people don't seem to even mind the composite fretboard. My feelings have changed from when I was younger and more of a gear snob to more of a as long as it sounds good,who cares person. So I don't think I would mind the fretboard other than if it felt funny,which people don't seem to think it does based on reviews.

Just seems like a great ax for the money considering anything from Gibson with F holes that isn't a stripped down satin finish model usually costs as much as a decent used car!

I own a Midtown Custom and am very happy with it. The Richlite fretboard looks like ebony and feels every bit as nice as the rosewood neck on the SG Standard I also play. I prefer the Midtown's slim 60s neck to the SG's neck, but they're both nice. I've had no problems with the Grover tuners and like how they look, so I wouldn't replace them. I suppose the Klusons would look OK, but I have no idea if you'd have to drill new holes to make them fit. The body on the Midtown is smaller than an ES-335, but larger than an ES-339. I think it's a pretty comfortable size. It also has a flat top instead of an arch top. I agree with you that the Midtown is a great value. You might also consider the new ES-339 and ES-335 Studios.

Archived