Gibson Brands Forums

does anyone know what epiphone factory

lucille64

has the letter designation of GR in the prefix of the serial number ?

My DR500MNA was built in November of 2007 and was the 326th one made but the GR factory designation was listed as not in the data base.

I asked Gibson this question with no response.

I am beginning to suspect it my be a counterfit one.... Even Gibson can't say or doesn't know themselves what factory it was made in.

I found another one online that has the serial number starting with GR and it was made in November of 2007 also.

My serial number is.... GR-07110326

Good luck with your search this all I could find

G/GG - Identified as early modern Masterbilt acoustics (Epiphone says they have no record of G serials) <li>GR - ____?____ Seen on some early Masterbilt acoustics <li>GP - ____?____ (Korea) found on a BB King Lucille from 2001 (verified by Epiphone Customer Service

http://faridaguitars.com/FACTORY.htm

I'm not sure what other brands still use them but Epiphone did in the early 2000's. Blue Ridge guitars have also used this factory.

Well now LPS1976... even an old dog like myself can learn something new everyday if I pay attention :)

My sincere apologies. I had never heard of this factory and you may very well be right. I'd be glad if this is true because there website products page was very impressive.

Thank you for the education

Well now LPS1976... even an old dog like myself can learn something new everyday if I pay attention :)

My sincere apologies. I had never heard of this factory and you may very well be right. I'd be glad if this is true because there website products page was very impressive.

Thank you for the education

Gibson finally replied to my request for which factory built my Masterbilt DR500MNA and they tell me that they will not release that information to the general public or customers of Gibson products.

They also say they do not support the serial number decoder information or associated with it in any way.

Guess they just don't want customers or anyone else to know where any non USA built guitars are made for sure.

They will put labels on the instruments saying made in China, Indonesia , Korea and such but not what factory built them.

Wonder why they would be so secretive about that.

Gibson finally replied to my request for which factory built my Masterbilt DR500MNA and they tell me that they will not release that information to the general public or customers of Gibson products.

They also say they do not support the serial number decoder information or associated with it in any way.

Guess they just don't want customers or anyone else to know where any non USA built guitars are made for sure.

They will put labels on the instruments saying made in China, Indonesia , Korea and such but not what factory built them.

Wonder why they would be so secretive about that.

they probably don't want customers thinking that one factory is better than another (like some think that Korean made are superior to Chinese made). I knew a guy that used to work in the guitar business and was pretty knowledgeable when it came to different factories. that's how I found out GR is the factory Grand Reward.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived