Gibson Brands Forums

Min Etune tunes sharp

BlueFlametop

I have a Les Paul style Futura that the min Etune always tunes sharp. I'm using 10's for strings and I have done intonation with a strobe very careufully. I have recalibrated a number of time trying to follow instructions exactly but it goes right back to tuning sharp. Can anyone explain why this is and what I can do about it? I have read that changing to 11's will do the trick and I intend to try this as soon as the music store opens in my area. So here are a few other questions I have.

1- does the min Etune learn over time so maybe I just need to use it for a couple weeks to get it accurately tuning

2- This is brand new 2014 but I am the second owner, the first owner didn't fill out the warranty card so is it Void?

Is it sharp for all strings? Tuning technique can make a difference. Where you strum, for instance it is recommended to strum near the neck pickup. I find if I strum once or twice then mute the strings and individually strum any that haven't tuned I have better accuracy. Try it for a while and see if you find a difference.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it sharp for all strings? Tuning technique can make a difference. Where you strum, for instance it is recommended to strum near the neck pickup. I find if I strum once or twice then mute the strings and individually strum any that haven't tuned I have better accuracy. Try it for a while and see if you find a difference.

Its most of the strings, there are usually one or two that are right. I have changed to 11's and it still tunes sharp although not quite as bad, still its not good enough to jam with without referring to an external tuner just like I do with all my non Etune guitars, rendering it useless IMHO.

I strum lightly once then mute the strings and tune the strings that are red. I have tried strumming with or without a pick, I always strum over the sidewinder or right at the fingerboards end.

As soon as I get around to it I have decided to remove the unit and install standard or locking tuners.

If you buy one take a clip on tuner you trust and be sure its working right before you buy. Just because all the lights are green means nothing if its not actually in tune.

I will always prefer Gibson guitars and I really like the futura electronics but I cant recommend the Etune system to anyone from my personal experience with this one.

• 2 months later...

I had the same problem with a 2014 SGM. I bought it on a whim because it was a good deal. The tronical tuner tuned the E A D G strings sharp the other 2 would be in tune. I tried to recalibrate the tuner..no change. Changed strings and set intonation. still tuned the 4 strings sharp. The second day I had it I was getting ready to play, got it out tuned the strings individually...still sharp went to tune manually and the low E string tuner would not turn.

Besides the fact that the tuner was useless at tuning the guitar, one of the tuners broke the second day I had it. How long before the other 5 tuners break? I took it back for a refund. The SGJ is basically the same guitar without the tronical tuner, and a good bit less money.

No more robo tuners for me!

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I might be chiming in too late, but I just bought Epiphone Classic T with Min Etune, and am debating whether or not to keep it.

Very nice guitar, well made with good action and sound. Min Etune is fascinating technology - fun to watch and use, however, consistent accuracy is a problem. Two passes at same tuning usually gives two slightly different results. The problem is usually 1 ,2, or 3 strings are sharp, usually within 3 cents, but sometimes as much as 8 cents. The accuracy setting doesn't seem to make any difference in accuracy- it just takes longer. The 3 cents makes a huge difference in chords, and requires manual tweaking.

Another gripe is single string mode. It seems that the tuning accuracy is better in single string mode,and I would like to use single string mode to correct a couple of out-of-tune strings from multiple string mode, but you have to go thru low to high string IN order- cant just pick the problem string. This can make previously in tune strings go out of tune, plus it takes longer than I would like.

I also worry about eventual breakdown with this delicate mechanism.

I think the claim of +/- 1 cent is just plain wrong.

Any other experiences with the accuracy of this system?

Thanks.

I have noticed as my battery gets weaker my low Estring does seem to two and a little sharp for some reason and multi string mode. In single string mode it does pretty well. I'm going to try and clean up the knot on my Les Paul and see if that make any difference.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Farnsbarns

My guess would be strings binding at the nut. The string will then slowly ease through the nut just after tuning making the string sharp. Try lubricating the nut by scribbling some pencil lead into it or with purpose made nut lubricant.

I don't think this technology can be made accurate at the pricepoint Gibson are aiming at yet.

My SG which has a StetsBar trem and a GraphTech nut seems a lot more accurate so far. I'm also noticing that trying to tune with the amp screaming at full volume seems to confuse the system by causing excessive vibration in the guitar.

LPS15H3CH1_NF_02.jpg

I agree on the technology comment

but doesn't the guitars come with the 'funky' brass nut now; so the string binding in the nut will be less, you won't need to lube it?

Zero Fret Adjustable Nut (patent applied for) The patent applied for Zero Fret Adjustable Nut increases sustain, promotes accurate intonation, and improves action by offering a wide, range of nut adjustments. Slide guitarists can raise and lower action easily

My guess would be strings binding at the nut. The string will then slowly ease through the nut just after tuning making the string sharp. Try lubricating the nut by scribbling some pencil lead into it or with purpose made nut lubricant.

I don't think this technology can be made accurate at the pricepoint Gibson are aiming at yet.

Archived