Gibson Brands Forums

New Gibson Memphis ES335 Plain Top Gloss Guitars

Larsongs

I'm not new to Gibson Guitars & have had them for many years. I am new to this Forum & have a question.

Years ago I owned a '59 ES 345 with PAF's which was a great Guitar. Who knew? Anyhow........

There are so many variations of new ES335's out there & prices have gone through the roof.

I'm looking at the new Memphis ES335 Plain Top Gloss w/ 57's. It is a new 2013 model. I like the idea of the lifetime Warranty & have used it in the past on my Gibson's. They have done a good job for me which is why I'm buying a new one.

Any & all feedback regarding the positive & negatives on these Guitars is appreciated.

Thank you,

Lars

Hi Lars,

If it's any help, I have a 2010 Memphis built 335 plain top and to answer your questions, Plusses it's a great playing guitar with great tone (I have a Les Paul with the same pickups the 57 & 57+) and they sound completely different from each other. Minus points, nil that I can think of. Of course my opinion is purely subjective, as the say, "one man's meat is another man's poison".

I would suggest you play a few before buying, because I did and found each guitar to be different, far more so than a Les Paul. I would also suggest trying one of the Warren Haynes, models if you can run to it because I played one and it was superb.

Best of luck in your search,

Ian

Hi Lars,

If it's any help, I have a 2010 Memphis built 335 plain top and to answer your questions, Plusses it's a great playing guitar with great tone (I have a Les Paul with the same pickups the 57 & 57+) and they sound completely different from each other. Minus points, nil that I can think of. Of course my opinion is purely subjective, as the say, "one man's meat is another man's poison".

I would suggest you play a few before buying, because I did and found each guitar to be different, far more so than a Les Paul. I would also suggest trying one of the Warren Haynes, models if you can run to it because I played one and it was superb.

Best of luck in your search,

Ian

Thanks for the info.

It seems that Gibson is constantly making changes to these Guitars. I just read that 2014's are getting Tone Pro's Bridge & some other things. I don't have the Specs with me right now. I'll try to Post it later. My Sales Rep is telling me the 2013 have all the same features as the 2014's? Anyone know for sure? Can't find anything about it.

I'm wondering if the 2014 is better than a 2013? Is a Nashville built better than a Memphis? The Plain Top Gloss Models street price is around $3000.00 which is a lot of money to me. It seems a Guitar they've been making 50+ years for that kind of money should be Perfect. The Custom Shop models are even higher $4,5,6+K.

Thanks,

Lars

Lars,

I really would urge you to try the Warren Haynes model. Here in the U.K it seems to be selling for about £300 more than a plain top, not a huge difference when your talking this sort of money. Having played one myself, I think I'd be in the market for one if I didn't already have a 335.

Ian

Over here on the other side of the pond the WH 335 is about $3699 and a Plain Top 335 is $2999. So $700 which may be about £300. Not sure of the exchange rate. I have a BB King Signature and it is the buisness. Would not trade that guitar for anything. It sound better than any Gibby I have ever had. I have had an Explorer, a LP Classic, 2 LP Studio's, 3 SG's, a 335, a ES-225TD, and a The Paul.

At the present exchange rate, it's about £400.

Ian

Absolutely love my 2014 Memphis plain top ES-335. Best electric guitar I've owned, one of the best I've played. It sounds fantastic stock. It's so fun to play I have a hard time putting it down, and it's cutting into my J45 playing time.

At the present exchange rate, it's about £400.

Ian

At the $3700 level there are some interesting choices. The WH for sure. The Rich Robinson, I'm a sucker for Bigsby's. The Rusty Anderson which is beautiful & vintage Spec.

Unfortunately they're above my budget. I'd have to sell a Guitar or two which I really don't want to do. I may have to though.

It certainly is difficult to decide.

Thanks,

Lars

I have recently purchased a brand new Memphis ES345 1959 reissue and it is very well made and excellent to play. I can't fault it except the strange smell it gives off (I am sure it is the nitro or the glue that is used) but it'll go in time.

I have recently purchased a brand new Memphis ES345 1959 reissue and it is very well made and excellent to play. I can't fault it except the strange smell it gives off (I am sure it is the nitro or the glue that is used) but it'll go in time.

Wow, I bet it's a beauty! What Pup's does it have?

I used to have an original Sunburst '59 ES345 Stereo. It was a great Guitar but back then it was just a Guitar. Newer seemed better. I have been chasing that sound ever since & have had many Guitars. None have had that sound.

Recently I played a new Plain Top with 57's which actually sounded really good. The Neck felt familiar too. The Sunburst was beautiful. The build seems excellent.

I have played a few used 80's thru 90's & the ones I played were unimpressive to me. It may have just been the particular ones I played as I've heard that Gibson's can be hit & miss.

Anyhow this new one spoke to me. I'm close to pulling the Trigger but wanted some feedback regarding them.

Thanks,

Lars

Wow, I bet it's a beauty! What Pup's does it have?

Lars

It has MHS pups Lars which stands for "Memphis Historic Specification". They are Alnico 2 neck and Alnico 3 bridge unpotted pickups which are designed to reflect the sound of historic PAFs. All I know is that they sound fantastic - best pickups I have on any guitar I own.

It has MHS pups Lars which stands for "Memphis Historic Specification". They are Alnico 2 neck and Alnico 3 bridge unpotted pickups which are designed to reflect the sound of historic PAFs. All I know is that they sound fantastic - best pickups I have on any guitar I own.

Is it a Stereo Guitar like the originals?

Is it a Stereo Guitar like the originals?

No, mono.Better that way as the original "split lead" was a pain in the neck and two outlets on the rim means the guitar departs from original appearance spec.

The 1964 I used to own was stereo and the Epiphone ES345 I have has a stereo option but the new Gibson is mono only.

To be honest it matters not at all to me.

I never played my first Gibson ES345 in stereo and I wouldn't even think of bothering with it (I have just once plugged the Epiphone ES345 into two amps just to test it)

I have a Gibby BB KIng which is stereo. I used to play stereo every once in a while with my stereo chorus box and stereo flanger box. I need to do that again. The chorus and flange sounded cool with the signal split. But unless you are doing something live where you want to split the signal to a clean amp and a dirty amp there is no need. If the BB was a mono guitar I would be more that happy with it since I rarely use 2 jacks.

I didn't know the BB's were Stereo?

I never used the Stereo on my original 59 either.

Although now I do record using 2 Amps thru a Splitter sometimes. I have thought about playing thru 2 Amps (L & R) when playing live but figured that's what's happening thru the Board anyway. Although you could have 2 different things going on at the same time.

Are there any negatives any of you have heard about the new Memphis Plain Top Gloss ES335's? I do like the one I'm looking at & can't find fault with it. It seems to be a really great Guitar.

Thanks,

Lars

I didn't know the BB's were Stereo?

I never used the Stereo on my original 59 either.

Although now I do record using 2 Amps thru a Splitter sometimes. I have thought about playing thru 2 Amps (L & R) when playing live but figured that's what's happening thru the Board anyway. Although you could have 2 different things going on at the same time.

Are there any negatives any of you have heard about the new Memphis Plain Top Gloss ES335's? I do like the one I'm looking at & can't find fault with it. It seems to be a really great Guitar.

Thanks,

Lars

I was just looking at Gibson's website trying to get more info on this Guitar. The picture is there but all the Specs & info has been removed. Has this Guitar been discontinued? Also it seems Dealers only have 2013's no 2014's?

Should this be cause for concern?

Thanks,

Lars

I accidentally included the BB King model in my Post.

My Post was meant for the new ES335 Plain Top Gloss Guitars.

I called Gibson yesterday for more info re; Specs since there are none on their website. Just a couple sentences & pictures. Almost looks line a discontinued model. Gibson just doesn't keep their website current. But they assured me it is still in production basically unchanged since 1957. I think most purists would have a different opinion.

Thanks,

Lars

I have a 2012 335 plain top Memphis made guitar. That's the regular old 335. I think maybe the 2013's have the tonepros bridge and/or tailpiece. You'll have to search around on dealers' websites to verify the specs. The tonepros bridges are better, IMO. They have a more solid anchoring system and more intonation range.

Here's one - I can't tell what kind of bridge or tailpiece it has. They kind of look like tonepros.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-ESDPX-LIST

I have a 2012 335 plain top Memphis made guitar. That's the regular old 335. I think maybe the 2013's have the tonepros bridge and/or tailpiece. You'll have to search around on dealers' websites to verify the specs. The tonepros bridges are better, IMO. They have a more solid anchoring system and more intonation range.

Here's one - I can't tell what kind of bridge or tailpiece it has. They kind of look like tonepros.

http://www.americanmusical.com/Item--i-GIB-ESDPX-LIST

So it goes back to at least 2012 with the TonePros bridge? My 2014 Memphis 335 came with one, and I was a bit surprised by it since it came directly from the factory through my dealer I figured it would be a standard ABR. I have a Callaham bridge and long studs that I want to try out, but I've been very happy with my stock 335 and don't know when I'll get around to swapping the bridge at this point.

When I called Gibson the Rep said he was going to email me all the Specs on the 2013 Plain Top Gloss 335's. Still waiting.....I'll Post here when I get them.

Gibson website is vague as are all the Sellers re; All the Specs, which is weird?

The Gibson Rep told me these Guitars are still unchanged from the original 1957's. Hmmmm?

I do hear good things about the recent Memphis built ES Guitars. Looking forward to getting mine in the next day or so.

Thanks,

Lars

I'm not new to Gibson Guitars & have had them for many years. I am new to this Forum & have a question.

Years ago I owned a '59 ES 345 with PAF's which was a great Guitar. Who knew? Anyhow........

There are so many variations of new ES335's out there & prices have gone through the roof.

I'm looking at the new Memphis ES335 Plain Top Gloss w/ 57's. It is a new 2013 model. I like the idea of the lifetime Warranty & have used it in the past on my Gibson's. They have done a good job for me which is why I'm buying a new one.

Any & all feedback regarding the positive & negatives on these Guitars is appreciated.

Thank you,

Lars

I have nothing but good words for my ES335 Memphis

Archived