Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 TopGold

dondiegost

Bought date 27 Ferbuary 2014 from Gibson developer www.guitarguitar.co.uk

Hi. 5 months ago I buy Gibson Les Paul Studio 2013 Top Gold from UK developer ( guitarguitar.co.uk that store I find on your website ) Last time I saw discoloured painting on the body. I think is manufacture defect. Too small protective layer becouse I have 3 other guitar wich I using long time ( about 3 y. ) and I never had that problem before. Developer told me its my fault. Gibson please help me. Pure sound but poor outfit. I paid lot of money by that guitar and I was thinking for will be very good quality. Im very disappointed becouse I feel be treated like liar by store workers. Its not only one problem.. I send you phots. That was normall. What can I do now?

Welcome.

Sorry to read about your problem. Have you ever owned a guitar with a nitro finish before? It's sensitive to solvents and sweat, among other things. Simply wearing a shirt dyed red (for example) and sweating the shirt wet while playing the guitar can allow the finish to absorb the color. For these kinds of reasons, the bad news is, Gibson doesn't warranty the finish.

As strange as it may appear, some people would call discolouration of recent Gold Top finishes good news. For satin Gold Tops they use poly finishes obviously which is denied by many Gibsonites. Two bandmates of mine own one each, and they still look golden but somehow different from the nitro ones.

Real nitro Gold Tops tend to become greenish, in particular through acetic acid due to sweat which results in buildup of green copper acetate. The appearance of green streaks always depends on both thickness and coherence of the clear top coat. Weather checking will accelerate the process significantly.

Yeah its green. Im play around 6-7 h per day \m/ never again guitar in bright colour ;/

Greenish Gold Tops are supposed to have lots of mojo. Many players like that. In case you're not allergic to copper compounds, there's no reason for worry. Furthermore, microbes "hate" copper ions, so they help to protect the top from mold growth.

As for me, I like transparent finishes most, and in particular on Les Paul guitars. On the other hand, tone and playability are the very factors. I guess if I went with a Gold Top one day, it had to feature real nitro and a natural back.

I dont know consruction of Les Paul and colors varnish but I think Gibson can delete problem :/ really Im scared about my ♥. Next time Im bought dark Les Paul :-B

Sometimes, Gibson's spends less time on the finish of their cheaper guitars and they don't hold up as well. I have an 1982 30th anniversary Goldtop that still hasn't turned green.

Archived