Gibson Brands Forums

Flat wound strings

slk

Ok guys I have a 1964 Gibson Firebird that has strings on it from 1969. Yes I do realize they need to be replaced. I bought this guitar new back in 64 and played in bands up until 69 or so and always used flat wound strings on it . I have several old boxes of used strings that all say #040 on the box (made in Germany). Now in todays values what size would those have been????? BTW I am thinking of getting back into the music scene once more.

Thanks

Steve

In my opinion, 040 is mentioning the gauge of the E6th. String gauges still use 1/1000 inch as unit here in Germany, too.

Therefore this would typically mean .009 - .040 sets.

For reading string gauge measurements, I use a digital caliper from a discount retailer, bought for 10 EUR. Since I change the battery in time before leaking, it serves me well since five years.

In my opinion, 040 is mentioning the gauge of the E6th. String gauges still use 1/1000 inch as unit here in Germany, too.

Therefore this would typically mean .009 - .040 sets.

This would be extremely light gauge for a set of flatwounds, and is even described today as "Super Light" for D'Addario roundwounds.

There are still a couple of German guitar string manufacturers, you might find out more info researching that angle. Is there a brand name on the box of old strings?

As for putting new strings on your 'Bird, it will handle any reasonably gauged "modern" strings. It's really up to the sound and playability you're after. Experimenting with various types and gauges of strings is half the fun of finding "Your Sound", and a fairly inexpensive experiment at that.

As Cap said, a dial or digital micrometer or caliper can measure the exact diameter of the existing strings, they are also not that expensive, and really fun to play with.

Gibson, or somebody here, might be able to tell you what strings are being installed on the new (or recent) Firebirds as shipped from the factory. That might be a good place to start. Very few people use flatwounds on solidbody electrics anymore. The most typically used roundwound sets seem to be (high "E" string) .009's and .010's. The gauges of the rest of the sets varies from mfg to mfg.

I believe I can speak for all here when I say "We'd ready love to see some photos of the ole "Bird"!

Yup to all the above...

Although... I have 9-38 flats on my Gretsch hollow. <grin> I kinda think the wound strings are lighter in feel than equivalent roundwound gauge. I plan to replace with a little heavier, but... they slip and slide marvelously for a lotta stuff.

m

The music store measured my old strings and they are very close to the 11-49 D'Addario roundwounds. I bought a set of them, but I really do not like them. They just don't have the mellow tone my flat wounds strings had. I will pick up a box of flat wound for when I need to change strings again I will have them on hand.

I also have another question that perhaps should go to Gibson but will ask here as well. The bridge on my 64 Firebird is missing (2) set/adjustment screws on the back side. The music store said it looks as if they were never there in the first place. Was wondering if I truly need them. My high E string sounds mighty tinny, almost like it is hitting something but it is not touching anything but the top of the bridge. Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Steve

• 2 weeks later...

Archived