Gibson Brands Forums

Epi Nighthawk Custom Reissue

Larry W

I just got a Epi Nighthawk Custom and am pretty impressed with the quality. I was skeptical as all my other guitars are Gibson and Fender Custom Shop item.

The intonation was not set properly. So I have tried to set it and can NOT get it to intonate properly at the 12th fret. I have set up guitar for over 40 years so I do know what I am doing.

Has anyone had this problem? IF so, how did you fix it?

I have taken the saddles back as far as they will go, an while it is a little closer, the 12th fret notes are still pretty sharp. At the same time, with the saddles back this far, the E, A, D and G strings are locked in place at the saddles.

I tried restringing after setting it as good as I can get it. I can't feed the strings through the body and come through the saddle unless I screw the saddles forward. The saddles totally block the strings in the position that gets it closeted to being intonated properly.

Maybe this thing is just defective?

Did you read measurements and compared half the scale at the 12th fret, and full scale at the saddles? My suspicion is that they didn't match the 25.5" scale at the factory.

I returned a Far Eastern made B. C. Rich guitar for that reason in 2008. On the other hand, I had to remove the spring of the E6th's saddle on a bandmate's Fender Stratocaster for achieving enough space to adjust intonation in 1982. Anyway, the string wasn't blocked after that, and the strings he is currently using allow for mounting the spring.

I did not take the time to measure that but I will tonight.

I am well within my 30 day return policy period. Gibson/Epi wants me to take it to a warranty center...but the closest is about 70 miles away. I don't want to send it to Gibson as they will just cut it in half and have to replace it for me. I don't see this being a repair issue.

Notice here in this picture how jaggedly aligned the string ferrules are in the back. Is that what I should expect on this guitar?

Stingferrules_zps87d35116.jpg

I am just going to let Sweetwater replace the Nighthawk. I can't believe they are all built badly. This an insanely popular guitar. So this just has to be a dud.

They are shipping out a replacement today...always great service from Sweetwater and Zach Garrison there!!!!

I will update this thread as soon as the replacement shows up and I check it out.

I did not take the time to measure that but I will tonight.

I am well within my 30 day return policy period. Gibson/Epi wants me to take it to a warranty center...but the closest is about 70 miles away. I don't want to send it to Gibson as they will just cut it in half and have to replace it for me. I don't see this being a repair issue.

Notice here in this picture how jaggedly aligned the string ferrules are in the back. Is that what I should expect on this guitar?

Stingferrules_zps87d35116.jpg

To my eyes this looks definitely poor. :(

I am just going to let Sweetwater replace the Nighthawk. I can't believe they are all built badly. This an insanely popular guitar. So this just has to be a dud.

They are shipping out a replacement today...always great service from Sweetwater and Zach Garrison there!!!!

I will update this thread as soon as the replacement shows up and I check it out.

This is a good decision I think. I cross my fingers for you receiving a fine one. [-o<

Ok, the replacement arrived and I had to take these pictures for you to see. I have not set the intonation on the replacement yet. But, as you can see ...... the first picture is the one that is going back. Notice how close the bridge is placed to far forward almost touching the bridge pickup.

In the second picture you see the bridge placement of the replacement Nighthawk. So, this looks like an improvement. Now, on the back, it looks as if the string ferrules "rise" up as it goes from treble to bass side.....I have not checked this yet. It may not be an issue. We'll see after I try to set it up.

FIRST Nighthawk:

IMG_1334_zpsebb827db.jpg

SECOND Nighthawk:

IMG_1339_zps793ba1f8.jpg

What do you think????????

Have you been able to properly intonate the 2nd (replacement) guitar ? That "gap" looks larger and the 1st one definitely looks to be a "problem" instrument. Me, I'd set it up (the replacement) as best as I could and just play it. If we as a group return these somewhat "defective" instrument's, maybe, just maybe someone, somewhere in the Epiphone echelon might notice and take corrective action (hey, maybe that's why the 2nd one is somewhat "better") maybe...lolmsp_unsure.gifmsp_scared.gifmsp_glare.gifmsp_lol.gif

Don't settle for any guitar that you have an issue (or 2) withmsp_huh.gif

I did not get the time to set it up last night. I will try to do it tonight, tomorrow morning at the latest.

Yeah, it's obvious now that the first one is a defect and can't be made to play properly. I am glad I got it from a dealer with a good return policy!!

Archived