Gibson Brands Forums

Do you like shred guitar players?

CJCifuentes

I know this is not about epiphone (if your favorite guitarist use epi would be awesome haha!) but, I mean, I've never liked the shred guitarist like Petrucci, Steve Vai, Guthrie Govan, I just feel them in an empty way, I can't catch a feeling from them, they are so boring for me, I prefer the guitarist that play with feeling! what do you think about it?

only rarely do I have any desire to listen to shred, but if the player is GOOD, I can listen to some.

I love a bit of shred, and am the same, has to be good. Joe Satriani plays with feel and can shred like a demon.

Truthfully, they make me jealousmsp_unsure.gif, but I find shred music not to be too "melodious", maybe it's just me...lol msp_laugh.gif

It is interesting to listen and watch the players rip on those 8 string and fanned fret instruments. I'm kind of surprised Epiphone hasn't made any yet like that...hmmmsp_glare.gif

Truthfully, they make me jealousmsp_unsure.gif, but I find shred music not to be too "melodious", maybe it's just me...lol msp_laugh.gif

It is interesting to listen and watch the players rip on those 8 string and fanned fret instruments. I'm kind of surprised Epiphone hasn't made any yet like that...hmmmsp_glare.gif

They have made some 7 strings

HaefyLesPaulSCust7_Splash_zpsfac83861.jpg

I can't say that I'm a fan of shred or most of the music that it's part of such as thrash metal and metal in general.Having said that though,I do like some of the shredding that Steve Vai does,because it actually has feeling and emotion in a lot of it.If in a broad sense,shred is playing fast,guys like Danny Gatton,Roy Buchannan,Lenny Breau,Roy Clark,Les Paul etc. are also shredders-these guys I can listen to for hours because they played with emotion and that's something that most shredders I have heard are devoid of.

no, not at all. I'd rather listen to Em pentatonic solos played with emotion any day of the week and if I want technical virtuosity I'd prefer to listen to classical guitar (or piano, cello, etc).

For me its like when the Japanese tried making European luxury cars - impeccable engineering but no romance.

Similar threads have been going on here for years and ... in general ... responses have been similar.

I'm reminded of a 2nd general Star Trek show where the cyborg Data's "mother" was playing classical violin - perfectly but identically as though a recording. That showed him that she wasn't the original human any more, but a replacement cyborg.

That's an extreme example, but...

I think it's kinda like what happened to jazz emerging from swing to a large extent in the '50s to date: Incredible virtuosity but a decreasing audience except for backup type things for pop type songs.

I think that when the melodic line isn't there with some swing to it, and the "feel" is beyond what average folks can comprehend whether speed or harmonies/scales, it's not going to be anything very "classic."

That's probably why everybody non guitar players over 40 at least (and a lotta younger pickers) has heard of Chet Atkins, but far fewer have heard of Joe Pass. Joe's simply over a lotta folks' heads.

And... note that "classical" string quartets may play Bartok, but their bread and butter tends to be Bach and Beethoven and similar.

Shredders may be noteworthy for virtuosity, but as has been mentioned, just as many notes come from a lotta pickers who use speed as part of expressiveness as opposed to speed for speed's sake. The shredders and their followers may argue, but...

m

• 4 weeks later...

joe sat puts his heart into his playing like always with me always with you... andy james buts soul into his shred and you can also feel that i mean come on... they are showing skill mixed with passion and you can see/feel that in every movement the greats like malmsteen and micheal angelo batio as well as vai all show you passion OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE steve vais g3 in denver you cant fit any more passion into that not to mention zakk wylde with his insane skills and unbelievable classic pianist

Shred guitarists can definitely play with soul. I tend to like the ones who use the technique in small bursts when it fits, rather than relying on it as their primary style. Think about some of the stuff Alex Lifeson was playing in the mid to late 70's. The intro to "La Villa Strangiato" was full-on shred, but done so tastefully in the context of a larger piece of music. In terms of "modern" guitarists, I'm a huge fan of Jake Cinninger (Umphreys McGee). He can pull off some incredible shred licks during a solo at the right times, but back off into more soulful techniques at will. I admit that I do admire guys like Batio, Govan, Malmsteen, Gilbert, Satriani, etc for their technical expertise, though.

joe sat puts his heart into his playing like always with me always with you... andy james buts soul into his shred and you can also feel that i mean come on... they are showing skill mixed with passion and you can see/feel that in every movement the greats like malmsteen and micheal angelo batio as well as vai all show you passion OPEN YOUR EYES PEOPLE steve vais g3 in denver you cant fit any more passion into that not to mention zakk wylde with his insane skills and unbelievable classic pianist

I don't think it is a question of "opening eyes".

I can both SEE and HEAR that these guys are very, very good (brilliant in fact)but I just don't like the "tune" (or usually the lack of it). It so often seems to be speed for speed's sake rather than interludes of rapidity to induce spells of excitement. I am sure these guys play their stuff with passion but it seems to me that so often it is a just a "wall of notes" which bores the arse off me.

I don't think it is a question of "opening eyes".

I can both SEE and HEAR that these guys are very, very good (brilliant in fact)but I just don't like the "tune" (or usually the lack of it). It so often seems to be speed for speed's sake rather than interludes of rapidity to induce spells of excitement. I am sure these guys play their stuff with passion but it seems to me that so often it is a just a "wall of notes" which bores the arse off me.

You and I are in the same camp, on this one, Pin. While I truly admire that kind of

techical prowess, "Less is More!" At least, for me. I feel the same way about Jazz

trumpet and sax players, that "shred" unmercifully! I used to, as a kid, try to play

as fast as I possibly could, as it "seemed" more impressive. The better I got (even

though I still "suck"), the more I felt like phrasing and less notes, that had better,

more impact, in the song, was the way to go. So, I've been trying to actually slow

down, use less notes, etc.! But, to each his/her own!

CB

Basically I think that folks - including pickers who always want to improve their skills - deep down like something melodic. That seems to me to be true whether the listener is a kid or an elder, male, female, (or something in between), a lover of rock, "orchestral," blues, country or doggone nearly anything.

I've written here many times before that I think the reason "jazz" is a niche market is that it lost either dancability, whistle-ability or both.

It seems to me that regardless of genre, we have two basic types of music - that for a "fast dance" and that for a "slow dance," then there's music that's mostly for listening. Nearly every genre has those three, some genres more popular than others, but...

The stuff most folks like seems to be music one might tap one's toes to and hum along.

Ain't gonna do that with "shred" regardless of genre. A few pieces - flight of the bumblebee <grin> - are enough fun that they remain part of general musical memory. But not many.

m

For their technical skills, I do. However, I tend to like melodic and soulful solos more than technical shreds. That said, I prefer e.g. Gary Moore than Joe Satriani. Moore can be surely regarded as shredder (listen to "Out in the fields" solo for example).

I love a bit of shred, and am the same, has to be good. Joe Satriani plays with feel and can shred like a demon.

Yup, Satriani is the only so called "shredder" I listen to because he plays with feel and and soul but really knows how to add some incredible speed and technical skills when it feels right to the music rather than just fret wanking for the entire 4 minutes of a tune.

Archived