Gibson Brands Forums

New (vintage) fuzz restoration project

Dub-T-123

336958A5-F692-4090-B79F-9DDCC3DA3986_zpsb8sqsfu3.jpg

C1E9EC09-729F-4AEB-8D21-DFAEC15AEAEE_zpshafigv6w.jpg

I bought this broken Maestro FZ-1A for cheap because I can see that even though it's broken and tampered with the circuit board and components are original.

The bad: missing all screws, broken foot switch, missing foot switch grommet, missing circuit board mounting bracket, broken battery snap, battery leads disconnected, original input cable removed and new hole drilled for input jack, hideously soldered wire from input jack to board

I'm not sure exactly how the serial number is coded, but it seems to me that it indicates it was made feb 1967. I'll look into that later, for now I want to start working on it

Yeah, I just got it working and it sounds pretty awesome. Dirtier than my Jerms FZ-1 with single coils, which is exactly what I was hoping for.

At this point it works great and I made it true bypass also (the fuzz bleeds into the bypass signal on the original). The way I fixed the battery snap is kinda ghetto though because I was too excited to hear this pedal to wait for my replacement.

Basically the snap currently has -1.5V running though the snap and into the bottom plate because I riveted the tab and spring directly to the metal bracket. Since this is a positive ground circuit, that means it shorts out if I attach the plate. So I can only test it with the bottom plate sitting next to the pedal right now.

Anyways, I have an exact replacement for the battery snap and the missing screws incoming, after that I'll be able to put this on my pedalboard.

How was NAMM? I've gone to the winter one which is here in Anaheim. Favorite booths were Gibson (of course) and Moog. Moog had just debuted the Moog Paul Vo guitar, which aside from being butt ugly is one of the most amazing guitars ever

Searcy, I thought of you when posting this thread :) This pedal feels incredible to play. Such a raw sound with clarity and touch responsiveness. It's sharp and lively and electric. You can't quite recreate this sound with anything else.. Gibson knew what was good when they made this

I have one of the reissues. I don't have the electronics knowledge to repair one like you do so buying a broken one would not do me any good. I'm glad you know how though because these fuzz boxes need to be kept around - especially since they quit making them. Between these and the Gibson Gold tone amps I just don't understand you Gibson company [confused]

How do you like your reissue? I'm skeptical about Gibson being able to properly reissue this. You really need to have the right transistors for this circuit to sound good

Anyway I have a little update. I have repaired the pedal to the point where it's pedalboard ready, although it's still not complete in terms of vintage correctness.

After I replaced the broken foot switch, my next big problem was this broken battery clip

C24DA9AB-9247-4845-A609-725CDB242C69_zpsmw7fg7hj.jpg

B94831F0-D62D-4526-AE96-03067E404B50_zpsm3iypjle.jpg

As you can see it is riveted to the bottom plate, so I carefully drilled out the rivets to remove the broken clip

2D7834A1-F921-405C-91DF-4FDCF0282F47_zps81av1lga.jpg

And here you can see I've cleanly removed the old clip

5279F082-DB8A-4324-8FFE-C7710C204976_zpsj9bwl1oe.jpg

Now, my buddy is sending me an exact replacement for this battery clip, but for the time being, I installed this plastic clip which only cost me $1 and of course does the trick. It's simply secured by hot glue

21E89429-06EA-495C-AA22-13ABFFBB8227_zpsnu0n8bk0.jpg

So now that the pedal is in perfect working condition I've taken it to band practice and experienced it's sound at full volume with keys and bass and drums. To say that I'm impressed would be an understatement.. I'm in love!

I have no idea when I'll have a recording setup capable of handling this volume but I promise recordings when that time comes. Until then, you'll just have to believe me that it sounds amazing :P

How do you like your reissue? I'm skeptical about Gibson being able to properly reissue this. You really need to have the right transistors for this circuit to sound good

I like the reissue a great deal. Of course since I don't have the original to do a side-by-side shoot out with I can't give you a comparison between the two. But like I said - your doing a historically correct restoration is a thing of beauty and thanks for sharing your photos! Will continue to monitor your progress. Keep up the great work [thumbup]

I believe you! Jealous. [love] But I do look forward to hearing it.

Get on the lookout for one of these deals mang! This had a lot of problems and was still really easy to repair! Just try to get them before me, cause I'll be looking for broken vintage pedals a lot more

I like the reissue a great deal. Of course since I don't have the original to do a side-by-side shoot out with I can't give you a comparison between the two. But like I said - your doing a historically correct restoration is a thing of beauty and thanks for sharing your photos! Will continue to monitor your progress. Keep up the great work [thumbup]

I'm glad to read that you enjoy it. Hey, if yours breaks, I can fix it for you and give you a comparison :P

What is scratched into the bottom? It looks like it says "By ?uck"

Sharp eye, Hoya! Ahh yes.. This pedal is steeped with a rich history indeed. Back in the day a dude named Buck took out the built in input cable and replaced it with a jack. While he was there, he scratched "Improved by BUCK" into the bottom plate

This is functionally an improvement, and Buck even had the sense to drill the hole for the jack on the right side. However, Buck couldn't solder worth ****. I weep for the other pedals he has almost certainly violated with his daft hand

Legend has it this Buck went on to become an uncle and coach a Jamaican bobsled team to victory

Not sure anyone is actually GETTING $800 for them, unless maybe it's an FZ-1 and not the FZ-1A. But yeah prices on most vintage pedals are pretty crazy

I installed the battery clip, and changed my switch to a more vintage accurate Carling. The original uses a Carling SPST, which cannot be wired for true bypass, and it bleeds fuzz into the bypass signal. I have replaced this with a similar Carling DPDT to keep it looking true, although I modified it to be true bypass so I can use this no problem in my band

5059DCD3-F970-439A-93A6-D8A01A3218E2_zpsahjrkhvz.jpg

Now that I have my screws, battery clip, and switch, only thing I need is to fabricate the circuit board mounting bracket. With all the solid core wires, the board stays perfectly in place with no bracket, but with the bracket this will be extremely durable

.. The original uses a Carling SPST, which cannot be wired for true bypass, and it bleeds fuzz into the bypass signal. I have replaced this with a similar Carling DPDT to keep it looking true, although I modified it to be true bypass so I can use this no problem in my band

Nice mix of vintage and modern... well done.

Thanks. Lots of vintage fuzz pedals were true bypass but this one normally has a really annoying buzz that sizzles over your clean sound. It seemed wrong to put the blue 3PDT in there but I wanted true bypass so I could use this to the fullest extent.

My friends and I got a new rehearsal studio, and I've been blasting the hell out of this thing over there. I'm sure if you could ask anyone they'd say I'm enjoying it a little too much :P

Archived