Gibson Brands Forums

Clapton hanging up his hat...

Ryan H

I was thinking the other day that so many people only listen to classic rock or classic bands and how in 10 years like 90% of those bands will be gone and this time for good.

In general we have not been replacing guitar legends with newer acts.

That's cool Riff, millions of people people still tend to listen to Van Beethoven, Mozart, Bach and co. Replacements aren't particularly necessary.

With YouTube I find I keep getting exposed to more and more classic rock and blues and feel I've still got more than enough of the 60's and 70's still to be mined to keep me going for many years. [biggrin]

nor Freddie King, John Lee Hooker, Muddy Waters... that wasn't my point. I was saying that I don't mind that we ain't replacing them, that's all. The music isn't going away.

Yep, your right - the days of seeing the great's live is coming to an end. It's like when there used to be quite a few WW1 veterans in parades and then in a few short years suddenly there were none. The Stones had to postpone their tour of Oz earlier this year until October. I'm betting ' this'll be the last time'.

I was thinking the other day that so many people only listen to classic rock or classic bands and how in 10 years like 90% of those bands will be gone and this time for good.

In general we have not been replacing guitar legends with newer acts.

I somewhat agree,,but theres a difference from Claptons era,,and today,,and that is ,,the larger "buying public" arent really into Gtr people as much as back when,,sadly for us all who play gtr,,theres tons of great players out today,,IE: Eric Johnson,Steve Vie,Allan Holdsworth,Joe Bonamassa, ect,,,ect,,and visit nashville studio players,,the best in the world really. So sad the gtr oriented music is being basically "swept under the rug" by the music industry today,,and theres quite a few reasons,,the main one is the "culture" of the mass buying public. Im not downing them in any way,,just an observation as to whats out there today. I could be wrong about all this,,but its IMO

Old coot? Sheesh, the guy's only a cupla months older than I am.

Seriously though, country legend George Strait basically did the same thing at a younger age.

A student of mine who had some Warner albums quit the road much younger - I think she was only mid 30s. Asked why, the response was the stress and weariness of the road.

As for "replacements," I don't think it's so much a lack of talent or skill, but rather of splintering of genres and more importantly, a splintering of media so there's more music but with fewer "heroes" since there's not an audience that immediately recognizes the current folks. Too many media, too many stylistic concepts, fractured market.

m

I don't think there need to be replacements. I mean, who can replace the Beatles or Bach?

I'm glad he got to do what he loved, got to feed his peeps with the profits, got to make a name and see the world. I just feel gratitud. Thanks for Cream and Layla and Tears in Heaven. [laugh]

CB...

And perhaps there's a bunch of us "older" pickers looking differently at what we do and how we might do it... desperados waiting for a train... Perhaps remembering those who've left the metaphoric "Red River Valley" and singing of it in kitchens and parlors as well as the occasional gig that's worth doing for whatever reason.

m

Eric does right to leave the stage whilst he's ahead. I believe he has hearing problems and that must be terribly frustrating for him.

Perhaps now he can give us some more of those wonderful unplugged sessions or if he just retires and stays at home with his family that's fine too.

But if it's the latter thanks Eric for some great music. Clapton is a great guitar player both electric and acoustic a fine singer and all round musician.

I've seen him many times, first with the Yardbirds at the Marquee Wardore Street in the early 60s then at his regular gigs at the Albert Hall.

Eric has given of himself both to music and to charity, an all round descent guy, thanks Eric.

If it's no longer fun for him, it's time to quit.

As far as I can tell, for as long as I can fog a mirror, I'll be playing sax, flute, guitar, wind synth and perhaps a few more. And to me playing is not recording, but playing in front of a live audience.

I could see an Eric Clapton or George Strait not wanting to tour anymore, because today's tours are so complicated that you don't really have time for yourself. So for the un-famous it's a lot easier. Find a club, retirement development, restaurant or anyplace else that likes the kind of music you play, and gig.

Les Paul gigged until the end, but it wasn't a tour. I figure I'll gig until either the end or nobody wants to hear me anymore.

If I were famous like EC, I'd land a gig in someplace like Ronnie Scotts and perhaps play Monday nights.

Notes

Of course, EC has threatened all this, before. And, he might just hang it up,

for good, but I seriously doubt it. I think he'll miss playing "out," at the

very least. Maybe not "touring," but a few gigs, here and there, for good reason,

or causes. Or, just for "Fun!" Who knows? He may just need a good Rest! Touring,

for him, has to be grueling, at any age. But, playing is in his blood, his very

nature. IMHO So, I don't seem him actually quitting, altogether. But, time will

tell.

CB

Maybe not "touring," but a few gigs, here and there, for good reason,

or causes. CB

I suspect he will continue to hold, and play at, his tri-annual Crossroads Guitar Festival. That is something that he is passionate about and he does for a great cause. But who knows?

I suspect he will continue to hold, and play at, his tri-annual Crossroads Guitar Festival. That is something that he is passionate about and he does for a great cause. But who knows?

In the article, he states that either the previous Crossroads or the next one will probably be his last. He just wants to stay at home, relax, and play for his family and friends, without the stresses of touring.

-Ryan

He was one of the guys who made me want to play the guitar and i copied hos licks true the 70s, he sure deserves to retire and just enjoy the rest of his life!

And the best is to quit when you are at the top, some guys (i.e Chuck Berry) just humiliate themselves going on and on and on and..... sounding like... i don´t know, everything but good!

Archived