Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson Chet Atkins SST questions

Long Beard

I recently acquired a Gibson SST. I've wanted to try one out for some time. There are some things I love about it and some things I'm not so sure on. Hopefully you can help.

1. What strings am I putting on this? Acoustic strings? Electric strings?

2. The bass seems really loud. Even with it the whole way down, when I play and open E it's thunderous. Does everyone use an EQ pedal or something?

3. speaking of pedals....are you all using acoustic processors or pedal boards or just playing it straight?

Thanks in advance.

Being an acoustic player, even when I play electrics, I always use Martin SP Acoustic strings on all my guitars. I use acoustic bronze Medium-Lights (12.5) if I can find them or Lights (12). Need that wound third string of acoustics and string weight of the others as opposed to electric strings. The lines of acoustic and electrics has blurred with acoustic pickups, etc...unless one is playing electric shredding music or high effect electric. Something like the SST, to me, is more of an acoustic or hollow-body electric adapted to an electric guitar. Just my opinion...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

I used to own both the CE and the SST.

I do not remember which model had it, but one of them had individual string volume controls in the back of the guitar with the battery.

I strung mine with acoustic strings but that's strictly a personal preference and what sound you are going for.

1405868384[/url]' post='1543116']

Being an acoustic player, even when I play electrics, I always use Martin SP Acoustic strings on all my guitars. I use acoustic bronze Medium-Lights (12.5) if I can find them or Lights (12). Need that wound third string of acoustics and string weight of the others as opposed to electric strings. The lines of acoustic and electrics has blurred with acoustic pickups, etc...unless one is playing electric shredding music or high effect electric. Something like the SST, to me, is more of an acoustic or hollow-body electric adapted to an electric guitar. Just my opinion...

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

Here's the prob tellin someone inexperanced as this person seems to be, the advice you gave him on his guitar I'm not sure what gauge (low to high) that string set is but...if his guitar is anything like the slimmer necks of some gibsons..ie 60's slim taper necks. His guitar neck is gunna look like robin hoods favorite bow shortly after installing those..it's all good IF he has a god guitar tech to help him set it up. Cuz if it get. HO t where he lives..it gunna go bad...Just FYI...peace

My advice was offered with sincere experience. I have numerous 60s Gibsons in my collection and none after all these years has had its neck bow from using Lights or Medium-Lights. Matter of fact I used Mediums (13s) on all my guitars up until about the mid-80s, when to not push the stress years matter, I decided to reduce the tension on 'em by using Lights and/or Medium Lights. I have 39 newer stock and vintage instruments in my collection and none are worse from Acoustic Strings whether Lights or Medium-Lights (or their earlier use of Mediums)...otherwise I would not have provided my comment. But, it is an individual thang and in my case I'm a melody finger-picker and different strings may work better from different styles or just individual preferences, thus just my opinion.

But thanks for your feedback so I could clarify mine.

QM aka Jazzman Jeff

The SST is the one guitar that eludes me! If I ever have the opportunity to aquire one, I will! Travis Tritt played one exclusively in the '80's. I love that sound. I would try, just for the sake of trying, some electric strings on it. Light gauge, which probably came from Gibson that way anyway. I believe that would take away the "thundering" bass as you put it. Those guitars were front-runners in acoustic-electric sound. Great because of less feedback when amplified. They do play well with pedals. That's a great guitar. I hope you find the sound you're looking for with it! Just keep experimenting till you're satisfied! Here's a clip of Travis playing one of his! (he's an outstanding guitar player himself)

• 2 months later...

I know you posted this some time ago, but I own a Chet Atkins SST and wondered what kind of strings to use; electric or acoustic. It seems that no one actually answered your question. I contacted Gibson and asked what make and guage strings were on it when it shipped from the factory. This was their response: This came strung from the factory with Gibson Masterbuilt .010-.047 gauge acoustic strings.

I've used both electric and acoustic and I prefer electric. It's a matter of taste. Hope this helps.

• 2 weeks later...

The SST is the one guitar that eludes me! If I ever have the opportunity to aquire one, I will! Travis Tritt played one exclusively in the '80's. I love that sound. I would try, just for the sake of trying, some electric strings on it. Light gauge, which probably came from Gibson that way anyway. I believe that would take away the "thundering" bass as you put it. Those guitars were front-runners in acoustic-electric sound. Great because of less feedback when amplified. They do play well with pedals. That's a great guitar. I hope you find the sound you're looking for with it! Just keep experimenting till you're satisfied!

I know you posted this some time ago, but I own a Chet Atkins SST and wondered what kind of strings to use; electric or acoustic. It seems that no one actually answered your question. I contacted Gibson and asked what make and guage strings were on it when it shipped from the factory. This was their response: This came strung from the factory with Gibson Masterbuilt .010-.047 gauge acoustic strings.

I've used both electric and acoustic and I prefer electric. It's a matter of taste. Hope this helps.

Selecting strings for the SST is an interesting point since there are options. For magnetic/piezo hybrid solidbodies it have to be electric strings, and I was curious how their acoustic tone would be before I bought the first of my hybrids. No problems at all, they do sound just as I like them.

• 3 months later...

I have a 1990 gibson chet atkins sst. I have gibson masterbuilt premium phosphor bronze strings on mine. gauges 10-12-22w-27-36-47. I'm sure you can use any steel string sets on your guitar, providing it's not a nylon style chet atkins sst.

I have my treble and bass knobs on 5 out of 10. it's pretty balanced. I'm sure if you use a equalizer stompbox or rack you'll be able to take down the harsh bottom end lows. as long as the bottom e isn't buzzing on the frets while you play, you should be good with an equalizer. happy playing!

• 1 year later...

I just took ownership of a 2001 Chet Atkins SST in black. I got it from a guy who had replaced the electronics with a DTAR Wave-length 18 Volt preamp and pickup. I've owned just about every solid body acoustic out there and this beast is a colossal game changer. It came set up with 12's. It sounds fabulous - the extra headroom with the DTAR removes all the quack. The previous owner also bypassed all the controls - which is fine with me. He said running it through all those pots and circuitry kills the extra headroom. That being said - I run it through the following and it sounds SO real: Tuner, Fishman Aura, TC Electronics BodyRez, TC Electronics HOF set to 'Ambience' - Stereo Wet reverb.

Is there Chet Atkins owners club out there?

Archived