Gibson Brands Forums

Taylor...ugly!

cliffenstein

Dude leading worship in church this morning has a Taylor. Someone remind me why these have such a good reputation. Perhaps it's a low end model, but it is one ugly satin finish guitar. Sound is okay, passible at least and no quack piezo tones anywhere to be heard. It's plugged in so I can't judge its true acoustic tone.

It was very easy to see the wood grain, but it was completely missing that "special something" that makes people notice. The fretboard looked even and dark and the headstock was nice and large...but I dunno. I just don't get it. The guitar itself doesn't look at all like a "thing of beauty", which is the very thing that attracted me to the guitar in general at a young age.

About six weeks ago I played some Taylors. There's a decent "feel," but I think they're intended mostly to be played AE since to me, they sound tinny otherwise.

Then again, I'm a grouchy old man.

I think a PR5e plays and sounds as good as a Taylor one pays 10 times as much to buy. Then once again... I'm a grouchy old man.

As for the aesthetic of the appearance... I dunno. Some of the Taylors were kinda pretty, but not IMHO like a Gibson (even a low-end Epi) or a $1,000+ Martin.

As for the flat finish... doesn't bother me. I do find it interesting Taylor doesn't fib about using filler on their tops under the poly finishes. They do. Dunno about other marques.

m

IMO Taylors offer an alternative take on the acoustic way of life...

Their more recent offerings have a unique P/U configuration to balance bridge and body inputs

My trio-mate has one, not sure of the model...LH 6str cutaway...

This inspired me to get one too...RH 12str cutaway 354ce...

A glance through their website and YouTube presence may convince some people of their vision and quality ethos...

V

:-({|=

Obviously only personal opinion but I don't like their sound at all. Plus, with so much treatment to the wood the sound you start with is the sound you have. I have a natural series Takamine I got 15 years ago for $1000. It is my baby, the kind of guitar you put in your will for someone specific. The depth of that sound has grown magnificently, especially after about the 10 year mark. The Takamine isn't as bright, but that Taylor sound seems so "manufactured" (struggling to find a better word). If i wanted to spend money to have a better name on a headstock, Martin would be my choice. But i think $1000 is the limit for me.

All kidding aside, I get the impression that Taylors are designed as AE guitars from the get-go rather than as acoustic guitars to which some sort of pup system has been added.

My take on it is that if you like the feel of a Taylor, you can always mess with an amp/board to get it to sound how you want it to sound.

I played one that I actually did kinda like. But for $2,800 plus tax... it didn't add anything for me that I get from a PR5e as a fingerpickin' guitar. The advantage to the Taylor is real wood to brag about and a bolt-on neck that's easier to adjust or reset. I just don't think it's worth an extra $2,500.

m

Dude leading worship in church this morning has a Taylor. Someone remind me why these have such a good reputation. Perhaps it's a low end model, but it is one ugly satin finish guitar. Sound is okay, passible at least and no quack piezo tones anywhere to be heard. It's plugged in so I can't judge its true acoustic tone.

I've owned 5 Taylors. ...From the big baby...through the 700 series...clear up to the 900 series. Let's just say those were 5 of my biggest mistakes...just loved them at the time, but they didn't pan out for me. But they are great guitars for sure.

Archived