Gibson Brands Forums

Shortwave Radios?

10K-DB

Hi all,,I know this doesnt have anything to do w/gtrs or music,,but I just thought Id toss it out. Im a regular listener to shortwave radio stations,,and wanted to suggest trying it sometime,,you can hear stations from all over the world,,some small time outfits,,to larger ones. And most of what you hear is not owned by corporate agenda/interests. May I suggest freq's 5850 or / 4840 or/ 6115 or / 3215 or/ 13845 or/ 6876 or/ 5918 or/ 9884 just a few to check out. With that said,,as with any media outlet,,youll get "opinons" "views" "info" that maybe true,,maybe not,,youll have to decide when you hear it whether or not you believe what your hearing. But,,theres really no commercials to speak of,,and you get info that isnt reported on most majors. For around 100$ you can get a decent SW radio from radio shack,,or where ever. Just a thought. Happy summer [rolleyes]

So I need to buy a special radio to catch that frequency? Its not something I can catch with my radio (standard FM AM)?

I've always loved the thought of indi-radio...by which I mean not corporate. Nothing to do with bearded men in scarves or whatever those weirdos are wearing.

So I need to buy a special radio to catch that frequency? Its not something I can catch with my radio (standard FM AM)?

I've always loved the thought of indi-radio...by which I mean not corporate. Nothing to do with bearded men in scarves or whatever those weirdos are wearing.

Many radios provide AM receiving of LW and MW but no SW or just a fraction of the entire SW range. Others may offer the entire range but either have a rather coarse tunability and insufficient selectivity. Therefore it is likely to miss certain stations and hear lots of unwanted noise.

In most cases, SW radio stations are AM but there also are SSB (single side band) services to my knowledge. Receiving SW stations from longer distances calls for precise tunability and highly selective circuits. Therefore these are rather sophisticated designs. Analog radios used multiple superheterodyne stages with advanced oscillators for achieving the required selectivity.

Modern digital radios for receiving analog signals are software based and cheaper on principal. However, they call for high performance signal processors and, same as the "old" analog ones, for precise and stable clocking circuits.

Anyway, in short, I guess this is a nice one:

http://store.sony.com/fm-stereo-multi-band-world-band-receiver-radio-zid27-ICFSW7600GR/cat-27-catid-All-Clocks-Radios

You can buy used also. I have an old (and I mean old) Panasonic (it don't even have the model on it - duh) but if I remember correctly it is an RF-3100. Most transmitters are in the USA or else trying to actually pick up overseas is difficult to do without antennas that are long and gamely and any thing like that. All I have is an regular radio antenna on mine, but only picked up Australia once at night but then I never use it for that since it has AM on it, and FM and well the 1mHz band is upper AM and a local station can be picked up at 1420 mHz however that is done with the megahertz up to 30mhz with the shortwave I have. The Australia station was I think if remembering 17.775 mHz from Perth I think, but only since the atmosphere bounced it that night. A good shortwave costs quite a bit, mine was only mid-range.

Digital ?? don't think those really are that good. Anyway, there is coverage of different things with many other frequencies like with a Scanner and upper band stuff like ships and sea traffic I think and whatever, have to look up all the stuff on the chart. Since I don't really use it for shortwave depending on where you are at anyway, and all of that and having an outdoor antenna, I just use it for AM band sometimes and FM band sometimes, and not much time at all.

http://www.eham.net/...ews/detail/4926

http://www.dxing.com/rx/rf2800.htm

it's a wonder they still list it.

light don't work anymore in it.

It really needs an outdoor antenna and before it was only rated 3 out of 5. (?????)

Whatever rating they use I suppose, I do not know.

There is the Internet, until the world is no more I suppose.

But I keep your list handy just to see sometime, but doubt inside I will pick up that much. I use to pick up WWV in Colorado for the time at 10.000mHz - at the sound of the beep, it will be 18 hours 17 minutes coordinated universal time. Bong! Ding, ding, ding ding, ding ding ding ding as the new minute starts sounding. Also may be at 5, 15, 20 and 25 mHz if not shut down lately. Time is not that important to me anymore I guess. A few minutes here, a few minutes there.

But I keep your list handy just to see sometime, but doubt inside I will pick up that much. I use to pick up WWV in Colorado for the time at 10.000mHz - at the sound of the beep, it will be 18 hours 17 minutes coordinated universal time. Bong! Ding, ding, ding ding, ding ding ding ding as the new minute starts sounding. Also may be at 5, 15, 20 and 25 mHz if not shut down lately. Time is not that important to me anymore I guess. A few minutes here, a few minutes there.

My brother had a 1930's RCA Console with a turntable & AM/FM/SW radio. I used to listen to the time at night with it's metronome-like rhythm and make up songs to accompany the beat. Good times!

Hi Izzy,,SW is different than AM{amplitude modulation} or FM {frequency modulation} My SW radio has all 3 "bands" on it,,I just have to select the mode I want it to pick up AM,,or,,FM,,or,,SW, Its a radio shack DX-399,,small ,, about the size of 2 packs of cigarettes,can be battery powered also w/4 AA size batteries.{vital if we/you ever have a power outage,,because you wont have internet unless you have some type of web backup system,,+ elec generator}Comes with a power supply+ outdoor antenna. With that said,,the antenna should be placed either in a North to south direction,,or east to west direction depending on where you are on the globe for best reception ,,I have mine in a north to south direction,,I can pick up news from china,,cuba,,germany,,south America ,,mexico,austrailia ,,africa ,,and many great stations in USA. One of my favs is WHR out of Nashville,,USA,,and there may be folks on here who know all about that station,,but dont say much about it. Its a great station. Comes in very clear most of the time,,no insulting commercials,,of fluff. So,,its not all the expensive,,I guess the reason I listen to SW is because Im one of those who still insist on having a choice as to what world info I digest/listen to. As to the "Bearded men in scarves" lol,,thats funny. I dont know who they may be,,maybe there the used car salesman down the street from us? LOL. Not sure,,anyways,,you may enjoy SW. Thanks for viewing,,"now back to your regularly scheduled program." [thumbup]

My brother had a 1930's RCA Console with a turntable & AM/FM/SW radio. I used to listen to the time at night with it's metronome-like rhythm and make up songs to accompany the beat. Good times!

Wow,,a 1930's RCA? That has to be powered with Tubes,,many of the same as used in our Rock N Roll amps! 6L6's,,12ax7's ect,,ect. That unit probably works as well today as the day it came off the assembly line! AAhh,,yes,,AMERICAN CRAFTSMANSHIP!!!!!!! I love it!!! [thumbup]

Wow,,a 1930's RCA? That has to be powered with Tubes,,many of the same as used in our Rock N Roll amps! 6L6's,,12ax7's ect,,ect. That unit probably works as well today as the day it came off the assembly line! AAhh,,yes,,AMERICAN CRAFTSMANSHIP!!!!!!! I love it!!! [thumbup]

My bad - it did NOT have FM! But yes it was all tubes. He still has it and it still works!

My bad - it did NOT have FM! But yes it was all tubes. He still has it and it still works!

Wow,,now thats really cool he still has that,AND it still works! Forgot to mention about all this is,,, theres lots of great music stations as well,,all types,,and I enjoy hearing different music from around the world,,it helps me write music from a different perspective than I normally would if I didnt hear music from far away lands. Ive never been very good at following trends,, \:D/

Archived