Gibson Brands Forums

NGD!!! SG 60's Tribute

bobby b

Picked up a 60's Tribute SG Special from the local CL for a very good price. Love it, it really gets along with my JCM800 [thumbup]

The PO replaced the p90 covers with cream....uhhhggg !! He could not find the original black covers so I already have some black covers on order..... cream covers on a cherry SG just seems wrong to me....agree?

He also swapped in some reflectors that I do dig though.

14707261541_876a62a9fb_b.jpg

DSC_2663 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

Congrats!

No, i don´t agree, i have an exact lookalike, i think the cream pup covers makes the guitar stands out a little from others, so i have kept mine like that :-)

Very comfy guitar to play and very vibrant, sure is a keeper and great value for money. But hell, what a noise from the p90s. I´m not use to them but i learn to handle them and it gets better end better.

Fair enough, to each their own. ThePO liked 'em too, just not my thing.

Yeah, the noise I expected ..... but that disappears as soon as the first power chord is struck!!

Cheers

Congrats! The cream pickup covers did not scream"wrong" at me, necessarily... I like a little contrast on a guitar. But it was a good choice to order the black ones.

I was trying to get a hold of one of these some time ago, but they were going in and out of availability and I didn't want to deal with it. I ended up with a '50s Tribute with P-90's... but what yours has that mine doesn't—and is the "compromise" I made with the '50's Tribute—is the dot neck.

Congrats again! [thumbup]

Congrats! The cream pickup covers did not scream"wrong" at me, necessarily... I like a little contrast on a guitar. But it was a good choice to order the black ones.

I was trying to get a hold of one of these some time ago, but they were going in and out of availability and I didn't want to deal with it. I ended up with a '50s Tribute with P-90's... but what yours has that mine doesn't—and is the "compromise" I made with the '50's Tribute—is the dot neck.

Congrats again! [thumbup]

It´s kinda strange with a 50s tribute SG since they wasn´t even released until 61 i belive, or was it 60?

Do they have the chunkier 50s neck? I would like a little beefier neck, may be a reason to get another SG :-)

Congratulations!!! [thumbup][thumbup]

I certainly prefer black plastics over the cream, especially when it has a black pick guard. No doubt that thing is just killer through the JCM8000.

SG's rock!

HNGD!!! [smile]

Cheers!!

Yes SG's do rock!

Cant believe I waited this long to get an SG!!

Cant believe I waited this long to get a P90 guitar.!!

I love my LP with humbuckers ....... but oh man do these P90's bark

very punchy !!

It´s kinda strange with a 50s tribute SG since they wasn´t even released until 61 i belive, or was it 60?

Do they have the chunkier 50s neck? I would like a little beefier neck, may be a reason to get another SG :-)

Yeah, the neck on the '50's Tribute is nice and chunky-round. I love it.

I think Gibson took some liberties with the "'50s" name. You are right—I don't believe the "SG" was available during the 1950's... but, there may have been some "SG"-style guitars made that still sported the "Les Paul" moniker. Maybe that was it...?

The first SG's were "Les Paul's" made in 1961! (Possibly, late 1960, for the '61 model year.)

The Double Cut Les Paul Jr. and Special was introduced in 1958, which was the closest model

they had, at that time, to the future SG. Those LP Double cuts, were made from 1958-1960.

Later LP Jr.s and Specials were single cutaways, and still later, there were SG Juniors 1-P90,

and specials (2 P-90's) (1961-1971 initially), first with compensating tailpiece bridges, then later

seperate stop bar, and ABR-1 bridges. You could special order them with a "short" Maestro, sometimes

the longer version, as well, or "solid body" Bigsby (usually, a B-5). Special orders, in those days

meant a 10-20% surcharge. Not a "Custom Shop" price. [biggrin] Of course, the Custom Shop didn't

exist, per se, back then, like it does now.

AND...every model SG (Junior, through Custom), had Awesome beveling, and horn tapering!!! SO beautiful,

and comfortable, too! [thumbup][biggrin]

CB

Finally got the black covers in.......

Love the look.....totally transformed it to 'badass' IMO. [thumbup]

Oh yeah.... I also polished the finish as the satin just did not do it for me..... really darkened and brought out the cherry red.

I am one happy camper!! Got the guitar, the covers, a strap, some straplocks and new strings all for LESS than $500 !!!!

14795055955_25654b9e96_c.jpg

DSC_2686 by bobbyjeepyj, on Flickr

Oh yeah.... I also polished the finish as the satin just did not do it for me..... really darkened and brought out the cherry red.

I am one happy camper!! Got the guitar, the covers, a strap, some straplocks and new strings all for LESS than $500 !!!!

NOW, you're talkin'! [biggrin] Looks Great!! [thumbup]

Out of curiosity, what polish did you use?

CB

NOW, you're talkin'! [biggrin] Looks Great!! [thumbup]

Out of curiosity, what polish did you use?

CB

Cheers and thanks!

Just Gibson pump polish and an electric polisher ..... followed by a hand polish or two.....!

It's a nitro-lacquer coating, it shines up rather easily.... B)

Great work on the SG, does it shine like, let´s say, a common gloss LP after the polishing? I can´t see that from the pic, old eyes probably <_<

I really want to do this on mine too, but i´m not convinced to swap the pupcovers :rolleyes:

Great work on the SG, does it shine like, let´s say, a common gloss LP after the polishing? I can´t see that from the pic, old eyes probably <_<

I really want to do this on mine too, but i´m not convinced to swap the pupcovers :rolleyes:

I will add some pics for you later today, to hopefully give you a better idea of the shine....

Archived