Gibson Brands Forums

the eternal topic-- adj bridge vs. non -adj

DCBirdMan

I am checking out a final year (1962) LG-2 in the cherry sunburst which was rare for that model. it has the adustable bridge w/ white ceramic type saddle. Plenty of these have been converted to the type where you work on the saddle to adjust action. We routinely see adj bridge described as "tone sucking' etc. But it's still bridge pins down into the bridge plate... how much difference can there be? Enough to pay for a conversion?

Well, you have an Xbraced, small bod, percussive, maybe not so great bass response, typical good quality toned LG/L0/L00 sized Gibson, representative of the era. Hell, that's a nice guitar, even if you don't convert the bridge/saddle setup. I loved both my '56 LG2 and my '67 B25 and there wasn't that much sonic dif between the two, even though the latter had an adj bridge w/rosewood saddle. I converted to a fixed bone insert, but they were still comparable in sound quality. The question becomes how much would you pay. The B25 cost me $900, the LG2 was $1600. I think that price range is still relevent.

I hope that gives you a reference point.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a '58 LG-2 with the adj bridge and ceramic saddle. There's no "tone suck" - actually it has an incredibly wide mid-range and plays great. I love it just as it is. It's one of those guitars that seems to have a wealth of original songs in it and if you're lucky it'll give one to you.

Glad to hear it. My home stereo sound system is intricate and rife with equalizers and subwoofers, so I'm always tuned in to bass balance. I like that balance in acoustic guitars too and always throw that in as a factor for keeping or trading. That's where the LG-2 and I parted ways. For some reason old L-00's have a fuller thumpy bass, probably because the LG's have a sturdier/thicker top. Nevertheless, I agree that the mid and high end is nice and woody. I just need that 6th string to have a touch of oomph.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a '62 Cherry Sunburst LG-2 I bought several years ago. I had it converted to a Brazilian bridge and bone saddle by a highly regarded luthier. I noted increased sustain, volume, and bass response; however, it was not the dramatic change I thought it would be in terms of tone. It's a damn loud guitar with an in your face type of sound. I would have to say it was worth the minimal expense.

Archived