Gibson Brands Forums

Studio Recording with the J15

glp2012

I was wondering if anybody had some advice for studio recording the the J15. Do you go direct, through an amp, mic it, or a combination of these? What has worked best for you? I'm doing some recording Saturday and might use my new J15 to see what type of sound I get. Last weekend I recorded with mic and a Martin D18, but it took some time to get a good sound.

Thanks!

I'd think unless you have you a serious pickup system that includes a number of sound options that you'd always be best to record with a quality mic when you can. When making home recordings, I initially assign two tracks to acoustic: mic and line-in. In nearly all instances, the mic sounds most natural and I scrub the line-in track and use it for bass or whatever else I need.

• 2 months later...

I recently purchased my J15, and am still figuring out what works, but wasn't very impressed going direct. But was thrilled with the sound I got with a condenser in front of the 12th fret...old reliable. I love the bright tone this guitar has. Really changing the game in the studio for me.

I'm in the process of recording an EP using my J-15. I'm recording directly into a Shure super 55 dynamic mic pointed at the sound-hole. It's the way to go, nice and simple. This guitar is a great recording guitar, it really cuts through the mix.

Archived