Gibson Brands Forums

Another Masterbilt fan

rhythmman

I know there are plenty of threads singing the praises of these guitars but wanted to add a quick one of my own.

I bought the 500mce & am still amazed at the sound after a month. One of my band mates plays a Martin & another has a TTacamine. The Epi more than holds its own. I am extremely satisfied.

I saw an older thread where the mag pickup wasn't as strong as the flex one and mine has the same problem. A new preamp is on the way. We'll see if that solves it but the warranty is 5 years I think so I'm not too worried. Even without the pickups, it's an amazing instument.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know there are plenty of threads singing the praises of these guitars but wanted to add a quick one of my own.

I bought the 500mce & am still amazed at the sound after a month. One of my band mates plays a Martin & another has a TTacamine. The Epi more than holds its own. I am extremely satisfied.

I saw an older thread where the mag pickup wasn't as strong as the flex one and mine has the same problem. A new preamp is on the way. We'll see if that solves it but the warranty is 5 years I think so I'm not too worried. Even without the pickups, it's an amazing instument.

I know what you're saying! I own three Masterbilts..including the 500MCE. All three of my Masterbilts walk on water...literally. There is no guitar on earth they can not compete with. None. And I've owned them all.

Masterbilt needs to go back to making non-cutaway guitars. With the exception of the florentine, I hate everything about the way the cutaway design looks on an acoustic and all current masterbilts are cutaway acoustics.

I recently picked up a DP-500 PNS (non-cutaway) on Ebay and love it.

Masterbilt needs to go back to making non-cutaway guitars. With the exception of the florentine, I hate everything about the way the cutaway design looks on an acoustic and all current masterbilts are cutaway acoustics.

I am so with you on this. I've recently discovered and been researching the EF-500 (I've got big hands, OK?), kind of heading back to my guitar roots I guess, which is acoustic, and I do NOT like to looks of the cutaway. I'm not even looking for an electrified version. The RA (solid Rosewood back and sides, Abalone binding all over the place) looks real nice, but it's so far over the top with the abalone! I'd prefer the less flashy EF500R or the solid mahogany back and sides EF500M. Of course, those will have to be used since they don't make them anymore. Unfortunately, there are practically none for sale throughout the states, on ebay, craigslist, in the entire Universe! Let me know if you run into one.

I am so with you on this. I've recently discovered and been researching the EF-500 (I've got big hands, OK?), kind of heading back to my guitar roots I guess, which is acoustic, and I do NOT like to looks of the cutaway. I'm not even looking for an electrified version. The RA (solid Rosewood back and sides, Abalone binding all over the place) looks real nice, but it's so far over the top with the abalone! I'd prefer the less flashy EF500R or the solid mahogany back and sides EF500M. Of course, those will have to be used since they don't make them anymore. Unfortunately, there are practically none for sale throughout the states, on ebay, craigslist, in the entire Universe! Let me know if you run into one.

You're not looking for a full size dread? The EF-500R would look killer without that little pickguard. I wonder how easily they come off.

You know that guitar has the V neck profile, right?

There's an EF-500MNS (Mahogany back and sides with a Natural Satin finish - "Mahogany Natural Satin") that just went up for sale in Guitar Center used gear. Do a national search and it will come right up. It's for sale at their store in Tucson (phone is 520-320-9900). You'll have to pay shipping and the list price is $399.

I bought a used amp head from Guitar Center that had to be shipped from California several years ago. It arrived without issue and problem free. Call them first, talk to someone about the condition and negotiate a price to include shipping. When I bought the amp from California, I was able to convince them to include the shipping and the tax at a slightly lower all-in rate than they had it listed for.

Best of luck!

You're not looking for a full size dread?

Well, I like the full-sized dread, but it's the nut width - 1.68 vs. 1.75 for the EF500.

The EF-500R would look killer without that little pickguard. I wonder how easily they come off.

I kind of like the looks of that teardrop pickguard. [blush]

You know that guitar has the V neck profile, right?

I'm not sure if I like that or not. I'm far from a connoisseur. I don't really play that much. I mostly play keys.

There's an EF-500MNS (Mahogany back and sides with a Natural Satin finish - "Mahogany Natural Satin") that just went up for sale in Guitar Center used gear. Do a national search and it will come right up. It's for sale at their store in Tucson (phone is 520-320-9900). You'll have to pay shipping and the list price is $399.

That sounds like what I'm looking for! They say it's in "great" condition, but don't have pics up yet. I believe I'm going to give them a call! Thanks, man!

I won't get a "V" neck even if it's Masterbuilt.

I wish my AJ500me had the cutaway.

No problems with the dual pup system, but then again that's pretty much why there's a slider to use to combine both pups. A lot, IMHO, has to do with technique of playing. No problems for me regardless.

I don't own, nor do I plan to purchase, a flattop that isn't AE. Haven't since the first ones came out in the early '70s.

Then again, practicality for my personal needs and my perspective on "using" guitars probably is skewed by personal experience. And...

I guess one might make a case that although in ways I'm a super traditionalist, that traditionalism also is tempered with knowledge that the tradition includes practical performance issues. That's why Mother Maybelle for example began playing an archtop and played it as she did - it was more practical for the recording and then live radio of the day. Seems to me that's something folks tend to forget.

m

Because I don't like the feel of V necks. Otherwise I'd love that guitar. I like a short scale shallow "c" type neck - depending on the overall geometry of my body responding to the shape of an instrument.

I also very much dislike short radius fingerboards which means "No" to any Fender neck electric I've tried. Never owned one, likely never will.

Then again, I like 16-inch body flattops and archtops with short scale and flatter fingerboards.

Why?

I think part is my physical geometry. I have very short arms compared to overall body size. A "32-inch-sleeve" on a dress shirt that fits otherwise is about two inches too long.

The other part is, I think, how I started on classical guitars. Compare a classical guitar to an es175 or an Epi PR5e and note the similarity of dimension to a classical guitar - and that's even with the longer scale on the Epi. Then consider that due to the shape and dimensions of a Dot/335 and realize that to me, that makes it feel as if the nut is narrower and the scale longer.

The "V" type neck makes me reach differently, more slowly and with a different geometry on the fingerboard with how I play.

Obviously it's not the same for a lotta other players.

m

Cougar...the guitar you want is in excellent condition for a price that isn't outrageous. You can get used to a v-neck. If it's good enough for Alex Lifeson....

NOTE: I'm strictly a C neck player, too. Never been interest in V or U profile necks. If you mostly play cowboy chords you'll be okay, though and, ultimately, you can get used to anything. In my electric guitar days I was strictly a Strat player. Then I decided to get a Les Paul...it was a huge feel difference, but guess what? I got used to it.

Here's an excellent write up on V vs C neck profiles:

http://www.deluxeguitar.com/137/fender-v-neck-stratocaster-and-c-neck-stratocaster/

Cougar...the guitar you want is in excellent condition for a price that isn't outrageous. You can get used to a v-neck. If it's good enough for Alex Lifeson....

Give 'em a call!

Yep. Called 'em, and I got a few photos sent to my email. It's a 2009. It does look really nice... except the front of the headstock looks like this powdery light tan color. Don't want no neck repair! Probably just the lighting - the pin logo and name look a bit overexposed. Once I check on that, I'm thinking I'll just have them ship me that guitar....

Call them first, talk to someone about the condition and negotiate a price to include shipping.

Now, that's a right fine tip! They didn't come down to free shipping altogether, but 10 bucks for shipping a guitar is pretty unheard of.

Yep. Called 'em, and I got a few photos sent to my email. It's a 2009. It does look really nice... except the front of the headstock looks like this powdery light tan color. Don't want no neck repair! Probably just the lighting - the pin logo and name look a bit overexposed. Once I check on that, I'm thinking I'll just have them ship me that guitar....

They didn't come down to free shipping altogether, but 10 bucks for shipping a guitar is pretty unheard of.

Post the photos!

Yes...$399 + $10 for shipping should certainly be doable.

Yes...$399 + $10 for shipping should certainly be doable.

There have only been a few sold on ebay in the last few months. This is the best price of those. I always like to get the best price of the ebay completed listings. [smile]

Cougar...the guitar you want is in excellent condition...

While we're at it, what's your opinion on the solid rosewood back and sides version vs. the mahogany? I imagine rosewood on the back and sides, in general, is a lot more rare than mahogany. I read there are tonal differences, which may mean a lot to some players. I doubt I'd be that concerned....

After looking at your photos, I can tell you that it is absolutely the lighting that makes that headstock look like that...heck...it might even be a flash issue. That thing looks beautiful and when you see it in real life all will be as it should be. Buy that puppy! Do it now before you lose out and regret it.

As a last ditch effort you can always call them back and get the serial number...then run that serial through the epiphone online dater. If it shows up then you know this guitar is authentic.

My acoustics are Mahogany...don't have any personal experience with anything else. You're going to like this guitar.

Nice score for sure , I just had mine set by a pro luthier after two failed attempts by one major chain and another not so major ... intonation was off not so noticeable on standard tuning but open tunings showed it off clearly .

The saddle had to be recut and set back a tad a new fatter bone saddle ( the new line DR's have an off set saddle for intonation mine did not just the thin bone saddle ) and nut we're cut and polished fret dress and neck adjust and Ta-dah ! one mean playing machine never happier . I have played Martian's and Gibs and Taylors and the like but only certain ones matched the Dr500mce to me. I did play all together and compared .

From my info on Shadow USA and I've been in touch with them several times this week along with Epi over the Esonic2 system .... Epi warranties electronics one yr from purchase date. I was lead to believe if you register direct with Shadow you get a 5yr but they told me nope not true as of 2 days ago but theres good news possibly coming in a few days.

I have not noticed a volume difference per say from the 2 pick ups on my system but I would think the mag should stick out a tad more ... right ? lol I'm not sure hahaha

anyway my mag side of the pre-amp went bad weird .. but true it distorts like a torn speaker what happened I have no idea . My guitar is 1.5yrs old Epi won't cover it Nor Shadow because the system warranty is through Epi and it's only an Epi designed system . Please correct any mistakes friends one never knows if the info is true till it's proven .

anyway good luck with it .. I told Epi when I tried to warranty my electronics that under no circumstances will the guitar be replaced which I have heard them do in some cases LOL This baby is not for sale !

If I may plug myself .. oh that sounds wrong LMAO here's a tune I did her mic'd

and this one called ocean

https://soundcloud.com/agradeleous234/ocean

IF you listen to this one" things remain the same" you can hear the distortion mostly noticeable on the low end but one Ocean it's pretty clear what happened between that time is the big ? LOL

not responsible for bad playing and vocals on those that include them the above have no vocals listen at you own risk ! :)

I agree. They should re-issue the non=electric and non-cutaway Masterbilts...Were they getting TOO GOOD?

I believe I will be looking for another older one around christmas...

There is a DR-400PNS on Ebay right now. Several days are left in the auction. I was lucky enough to secure one recently. Mine went for $700. I anticipate because of the rarity of the model, this one going for the same price. It is a wonderful instrument. Like butter...I highly recommend if anyone is interested, they jump on it (and no its not my auction..lol). Looks like it has the nice Epiphone case too, the one with the build in hydrometer.

Archived