Gibson Brands Forums

NGD - Gibson J-35

Pim

Hi there! New to the forum, bought my first Gibson last week! It's a second hand J-35. Was looking for a solid acoustic for several months and the J-35/45 were both on my list. This one came by on the local craigslist at a great price ($1200) so I instantly made a deal with the guy, since Gibson acoustics are rarely seen second hand in the Netherlands. Set up an appointment for testing and pick-up, which was last week. After 30 mins of testing I knew I had to take it home. What a great little guitar! Really nice sounding, great finish and very well set up!

Here's a small pic I made, more to follow:

10556349_903698122978932_8085584429372011729_n.jpg

Great buy, Pim. I think the j-35 is a solid guitar. I have yet to see a review of a J-35 that dissed on sound quality. Some even prefer its tone over the J-45's. And on top of that, you saved yourself $500 off the price of a new one.

Great buy, Pim. I think the j-35 is a solid guitar. I have yet to see a review of a J-35 that dissed on sound quality. Some even prefer its tone over the J-45's. And on top of that, you saved yourself $500 off the price of a new one.

In NL, he did better than that!

Funny, I was in NL last week and sold one of my CA Cargos from Marktplaats (Dutch Craigslist).

Congrats!

Every time I see a picture of one of those guitars though I can't help but wish that Gibson would find a different supplier of pickguard material and go with somebody who knows how to do a proper firestripe. Then again, a minor thing and not one that would keep me from buying the guitar - hey pickguards are easily changed out.

Congrats, and glad you like it! Looks like one of the first runs with the angled headstock logo. Enjoy!

DC

Congrats!

Every time I see a picture of one of those guitars though I can't help but wish that Gibson would find a different supplier of pickguard material and go with somebody who knows how to do a proper firestripe.

...and a better pickup system.

Hi there! New to the forum, bought my first Gibson last week! It's a second hand J-35. Was looking for a solid acoustic for several months and the J-35/45 were both on my list. This one came by on the local craigslist at a great price ($1200) so I instantly made a deal with the guy, since Gibson acoustics are rarely seen second hand in the Netherlands. Set up an appointment for testing and pick-up, which was last week. After 30 mins of testing I knew I had to take it home. What a great little guitar! Really nice sounding, great finish and very well set up!

Here's a small pic I made, more to follow:

10556349_903698122978932_8085584429372011729_n.jpg

Nice deal you got there, Pim! Welcome to the Gibson World and J-35 owners club. I love mine. [thumbup]

It is a beautiful guitar and I am extremely happy with it! On Marktplaats this guitar hardly ever passes by (probably because they are really good guitars :D) so I was very happy to find it that morning and even more happy when the seller accepted the deal! The LR Baggs I am not really fond of, yet I don't use it that much so I'm not gonna switch it out for now.

Congrats! She's a beauty!! The pickguard looks great. I didn't care for them, until I got a J45 that has one. I love it. Yours looks appreciably nicer than mine, being on a natural finish! And... Welcome to the forum. We like new blood.

Congrats!

Every time I see a picture of one of those guitars though I can't help but wish that Gibson would find a different supplier of pickguard material and go with somebody who knows how to do a proper firestripe. Then again, a minor thing and not one that would keep me from buying the guitar - hey pickguards are easily changed out.

I wonder if there really is any other option though. The stuff from Stewmac i ordered to cut for a project guitar of mine looked awful like it was printed on. The Gibson stuff looks so much better than that. I was also at a guitar store today that carries some upscale guitars and noticed the material on all the Collings and Bourgeois slopes looked exactly like what Gibson uses. You'd think if there was a better option the small guys would be using it on their guitars. Personally I like it.

I like the PG material also... Think it looks great on the guitar. And even if I wouldn't like it, everytime you pick up the guitar and strike a nice open chord you will absolutely forget about the pickguard...

I like the PG material also... Think it looks great on the guitar. And even if I wouldn't like it, everytime you pick up the guitar and strike a nice open chord you will absolutely forget about the pickguard...

WHAT ?!? You got a guitar because it sounded great !?! As I said - WELCOME !

Archived