Gibson Brands Forums

What year Sg (from recent years)?

MikeThomasmusic

Hey guys, I just recently had to return a 2013 Les Paul traditional that I bought used but was (A) misrepresented, and (B), I didn't really like the 50's neck anyways. I think I much prefer the smaller necks. I have had a few Gibsons in the past although the only Sg I owned was when I was much younger and all I could afford at the time was one of those Sg faded models that came with the almost Pizza slice shaped gig bag. Mine however was from the first year and among the very first batches of the faded's they produced that featured the ebony fretboards with those half moon crescent inlays. Something they discontinued early on in favor for the more traditional rosewood board with dot inlays. For a cheap roughly around $550 guitar at the time,(Circa 2002),it sounded and played pretty good. I believe it had 490 open coil hum buckers, which for the time were the 490's still kind of new or if not the pickups themselves the 490 nomenclature being used? I can't remember? I do remember becoming an Sg fan after owning that guitar and I just never had the chance or the need never came up to get one since then or more specifically to get a standard or among the likes since being older and able to afford one. That being said I was wondering based on some given info if any of you more experienced Sg guys might recommend any specific SG's I should consider based on my taste,musical style and price range as far as exact model and years to look for? Thanks.

So I should see my LP return refund within the next few days,(had to ship the guitar back). I was thinking of going maybe with a standard of some sort from recent years,leaning of corse to the standard of standards Sg finish of Cherry red. I would like to spend anywhere between $900-$1600 roughly. I know I could just about afford a new standard,but then there is the controversial min e tune which I know can be taken off and you can install more traditional tuners,(if you still don't mind the 120 on the 12th fret)? I actually heard that the best year Sg standard to get when talking more recent SG's of the last almost ten years or so,are the 2013 model years? I don't know if there is any truth to that? If so I'm sure if I do a little digging I may even be able to find a dealer with a great deal on a 2013 new stock leftover out there somewhere?

If money wasn't an object I would go custom shop with the idea of trying to get as close to proper vintage spec as possible,with all the correct vintage appointments as far as things like the correct type of dye being used to achieve the more vintage accurate tone to the red in the cherry finish, along with the proper horns and so forth. I think the closest non custom historic SG that would be closer to vintage spec in recent years, (correct me if I'm wrong), might be like one of the newer 61' SG tributes with the side term? Or an Sg original with the Lyre? I could easily afford a pre-owned one of either of those, as well as probably a used 61' reissue from the last few years? The Sg original from 2013 with the Lyre, is that still evenbeing made or has it been replaced with that SG original for 2014 that is basically like a standard from 2007 with the bat guard? I do like all the appointments of the 61 tribute and the Sg original with Lyre, however, I'm just not digging the Trems on both of those. If either of those had a stop tailpieces I would be all over them. But why would Gibson do something like that? If they did they would probably then consider it custom shop and charge twice as much for it? It seems that they will offer in their affordable to working adult musicians price range of roughly $1,399-$2,100 almost all of the specs that we purist Gibsons fans want to see,but they won't offer everything. It's like they almost go all the way but then there is always some type of monkey wrench thrown in and added to the guitars and the only way to get the guitar without the monkey wrench is to then spend somewhere over $3,000 for a custom shop version. Its pretty frustrating! On one hand I'm thankful that Gibson in recent years, (although I believe forced from the competition of the market), has started to offer more affordable instruments onto the market in the $500-$1,000 price point. But, the average working adult musician (like I consider myself to be), always seems to get screwed like the middle class by Gibson. Am I wrong to want a nice vintage feature packed guitar brand new in the say $1300-$2,000 range? I don't want some faded satin finish guitar for $700 and I don't think I should have to spend $3,500 or more on a custom shop instrument either,to have something for example like the proper Micky Mouse ear cutaways on a 335. It should already automatically come on the guitar and be apart of every 335 design to begin with! I should be able to spend say $1699 for an Sg standard and get the the quality and features/version of say a 61 reissue Les Paul Sg without having to spend a boatload more. It gets frustrating! I used to work in a guitar shop a few years back and we stopped carrying Gibson. The owner got frustrated as well, (although this was before Gibson started to lower their prices),but when you have imports now coming in with quality pieces of solid wood with a good fit and finish along with real USA wiring and pickups in some cases that are selling street p[rice anywhere from $599-$899 including binding and inlay, and not just some stripped down satin finish it can become frustrating. Yes most of if not all the imports in that price range are cookie cutter C N' C machined but so what,as long as the wood is the same quality? Paul Reed Smith for years has been cookie cutting guitars. Without getting into too much of a debate it just seems that Gibson relies quite a bit on the Historic value of its name when pricing its guitars. This is an age old debate that has been going on for quite awhile now, I kind of went off a bit. Let me conclude with one more short question about pickups

Anyone know what year standards started coming with 57's again? An old bandmate bought a new standard Sg in either 2003,'04'or maybe even '05 I can't remember exactl? He had said his Sg standard came with Burstbuckers? I kind of prefer burst buckers. Besides playing some extra income gigs on the side that mainly consists of Oldies 50's and 60's rock while also switching over to piano for some Jazz standards, I write and play a lot of original rock that has a sort of melodic Beatle-esque influence meets 90's alternate/indie rock. Think the likes of Weezer or The Foo fighters and how both those bands cover a lot of ground from clean guitar in some of their ballads or more straight ahead pop songs to full on fat saturated overdrive and distortion in some of their heavier rhythms. That being said perhaps the Burstbuckers would suite that style and sound better than 57's?

Any thoughts as to what year and model Sg I should look for in the roughly $900-$1600 range? I'm more of a vintage style type of fan so I like the traditional chrome covered pickups and gloss finish rather than something like an sg special with exposed coils. Most likely I'll have to go with something used unless I find a decent 2013 leftover deal from a dealer somewhere? Thanks for all the help.

2013 Standard...original style bevels and tapered horns, as

well as the smaller pickguard! If you prefer the "Batwing"

larger pickguard, with smaller bevels, and no horn tapering,

then anything prior to late 2012-2013 on a "Standard" would

be just fine. There's also the Standard 120, and Standard

P-90 with "batwing" pickguards, and smaller beveling/no horn

tapering, as well.

Check them all out:

http://www2.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/SG/Gibson-USA.aspx

CB

The 61 Les Paul Tribute SG goes for about 1650 new. And it is as close as you're going to get to the older 61 reissues in that price range, the 61 ri's they stopped making in 2012. They do have the side pull trem on them but they seem to have a great neck. Definitely not fat at all, a 60s slim taper. They also do not have the inlay on the 12th fret. They still make the SG original but it is a much darker color. I prefer the light and clear color that is on the 61 Les Paul tribute. Also, it doesn't have the min e tune on it and has the bigger headstock and gloss finish.

Les Paul SG

Do the new ones all have that weird high E spacing on the nut like my Classic (P90s) did?

[confused]:-k

CB

I guess this is about the high E string slipping off fretboard problem. I met some poorly cut string grooves on 2012 and 2013 models.

Even worse are too wide bindings and fret bevellings which virtually are beyond repair. I had to return a Les Paul Standard 2012 for that reason.

Well, you may still find some 2013 SG Standards out there. They have a slim neck and 57 humbuckers (not burstbuckers), but they sure make a beautiful sound. [thumbup]

I agree completely with this. My 2013 Original is the best SG I have ever owned and that includes a real 63, multiple 67 and 68's, and a 69.

Archived