Gibson Brands Forums

Musicians Friend Discounts

RevDavidLee

Hey guys - just a note to let you know I just purchased another Telecaster and I called them because it says on their website - Need a Coupon - Call Us and they post the 800 number for you to call. On the options they give you on the menu just select customer service and tell them you want a coupon when you get a person on the phone. They will tell you they currently don't have any coupons but that they are authorized to give you up to a 15% discount over the phone if you complete your purchase over the phone with them. In order to get the full 15% you have to spend over $349 but on a guitar that's easy to do. And I did and they did. I didn't know they would do that on name brands like Fender but they did. Got a beautiful butterscotch Tele on the way and I was so excited I hung up when we got done and forgot to ask them if they would do the same on a Gibson guitar. I'm guessing they would since they did so on a Fender I dunno - but it doesn't cost you anything to ask them. Just wanted to pass this along in case you've been jonesin for something and wanted to save some pretty good money - plus no sales tax unless I suppose if you live in Oregon?

Admin - if this is inappropriate to post - please delete and accept my apologies. [unsure]

yep,, this has been my experience too. you can negotiate a bit with MF on just about anything.

When I bought a few Epi archtops, and my Mustang III amp, I was able to do the same, over the phone.

I have not had the same results however with sweetwater... when I have tried,, the price,, is the price,, that's it.

I have heard other people mention they were able to, but when I have tried, it's not happened.

Congrats on the Tele score.. awesome guitars, the beauty is in the simplicity,

I love my USA Standard [natural/maple neck] (got it in 97, after buying and selling at least 4 before hand - till I finally realized -Stop the madness... you gotta get one and keep it-)

ps: the first "REAL" guitar I got as a kid was a 69 Blonde Tele - bought brand new from the local music store, (if I only had that today, the mojo would be beyond epic.)

..ps: the first "REAL" guitar I got as a kid was a 69 Blonde Tele - bought brand new from the local music store, (if I only had that today, the mojo would be beyond epic.)

And the value of that guitar would also be beyond epic! [drool]

Thanks for the tip.

You're getting another Tele!? You are awesome. I keep showing my wife your posts. Keep it up, please.

I just got a Les Paul and am thinking about another deal in honor of Johnny Winter. Guitar acquisition is a disease.

I work for MF... but I won't gloat over the discount I get on anything and everything I buy. [blush]

It all depends on the vendor, however—not an across-the-board %. But still... makes buying new gear a daily temptation! [drool]

Congrats on the Tele, Rev! I am almost certain you'd get the same deal with a Gibson.

I've been noticing that too!

I keep noticing at checkout that they have a place for a coupon code. So I started doing searches for coupons for them and Sweetwater, GC etc.

There are some sites that have coupon codes for you just for joining... But MF has this "call us for coupons" thing that is about the standard answer and thy are advertising on their site for it pretty steady now...

Glad to have some feedback on it, thanks!

Sweetwater gives me whatever factory deal is next up. Like on the Am. Std. Tele I got, they gave me a hundred bucks off cause that's what the next Fender deal was that was coming down the pike in awhile. That's only about 8% though. And that's through my salesman. I've bought lots of stuff from him.

I've called an been given the discount on excluded items many times. I'm pretty sure the approach has to do with price matching. Once we're trained to call, we know we can get the price. But the other is only going to check online ... nothing to price match.

My semi-quasi-para-local shop matches stuff pretty close. I have to pay tax with MF anyway, so no savings there and I want my semi-quasi-para-local shop to stay in business. I'm going thru a warranty process with them now and they are awesome to deal with. I much prefer standing face-to-face with people to work thru the bad times. That's their added value for the tiny premium I pay to buy from them. I love to stop by and remind them that they "owe me". I have a $3 store credit I refuse to use so they will always "owe me" :)

They will tell you they currently don't have any coupons but that they are authorized to give you up to a 15% discount over the phone if you complete your purchase over the phone with them.

Note, however, a phone purchase will typically include sales tax for whatever state that store is in. But no state has a 15% sales tax!

I've been thinking of buying a set of active monitors, I just called them and bought a set of Presonus.

I got a 12% discount based on the $200 price tag, they could not give me the free cheap headphones they were giving as a gift but that's OK by me, I do not need them.

Damn, I should have called earlier in the week so I receive the package before the weekend but I am busy as hell at work.

Sweet score. Can't wait to see the pictures. I guess I'm lucky enough to be close to the HOG. They give me really great discounts. Having that one-on-none relationship helps. When I was gigging a long time ago we'd buy all of our equipment from this one store. The owner loved us. He gave us great prices. Even when we just walked in to look around we'd come out with free drumsticks, strings, picks, reeds (for our sax player), etc. Ah, the good old days.

Very nice,

The studio monitors I bought are scheduled to arrive tomorrow, I ordered just yesterday and did not think I was going to get them in time for the weekend.

If I ever get to Nashville, I hope you'll show me the best places to buy guitars down there. [cool]

If I ever get to Nashville, I hope you'll show me the best places to buy guitars down there. [cool]

Sure but you know, you'd be surprised but we do not have cool guitar stores in Nashville, we used to have the Gibson Showcase which was cool but other than Guitar Center and Sam Ash we do not have anything that willblow your mind.

Stores like Corner Music, Rock Block Guitars, Nashville World Music are cool but small and none are Gibson dealers.

Gruhn's is great but I have not been to the new location.

If anyone from Nashville can pitch in with a cool place to buy guitars I am listening.

Sure but you know, you'd be surprised but we do not have cool guitar stores in Nashville, we used to have the Gibson Showcase which was cool but other than Guitar Center and Sam Ash we do not have anything that willblow your mind.

Stores like Corner Music, Rock Block Guitars, Nashville World Music are cool but small and none are Gibson dealers.

Gruhn's is great but I have not been to the new location.

If anyone from Nashville can pitch in with a cool place to buy guitars I am listening.

Well... that is surprising. I just figured thousands of wannabe country music stars and Elvis impersonators flooded the city trying to make it big, failed miserably and had to sell their guitars cheap to get a bus ticket back home. Yes - I was hoping to get some big bodied guitars for cheap based on other people's failures. I'm just a no good guitar addict... sob.. sob.. [crying]

Lol [biggrin]

Holy hell, why didn't I buy a set of active monitors before?

I have not even set them up properly and the isolation pads are on their way and even with MP3s at 192kbps these things sound stellar. Wow

9E9DB64B-AF8E-45A3-9E68-BB227921A1D4_zpsabxfgur5.jpg

Archived