Gibson Brands Forums

Removing the input jack on a PR5E

Tarheel72

I have a PR5E and the input jack is having issues. When I plug in the red light goes on and off several times, and then stays off. It happened one time but I reseated the plug and it starting working. Now I cannot get it to work. I can't figure out how to remove the jack. I have done semi hollow jack repair before but on the PR5E I cannot get anything to penetrate the jack so I can fish it out. I even tried fishing line but it did not go through. I guess the pickup wires are stopping it. Any ideas on how to get it out of the body?

Thanks

OK I answered my own post. I did more research and I see that the input jack on an acoustic is nothing like the one on an electric. I removed the strings, and using my hand, and few other tricks I got the jack out. But I can't see any way to make any corrections or adjustments to it. When I insert the cable I get a few flashes of red from the esonic and then once I seat the cable, it is dead. I have tried to jiggle the cable or pause it on the way in while the light is red but no luck. I do not think it is the connection at the control unit, since it happens when trying to insert the cable, not after it is in.

The only time I used this I had the same problem, but I removed the cable and pushed it in again and it started to work, so I confirmed the pickup was functioning. I just bought this off CL so I have not used it with an amp, but the guy I got it from only had it one year (2012 model) and he did not have an amp. He said he wanted to learn to play but gave up, so I really don't think he ever tried to plug it in, but who knows.

Anyway, what do I do now? Can you order a replacement jack and wire it on at the control unit? I have not taken the unit off, but I assume it is either a plug or soldered on to some lugs? Or do you have to buy the entire esonic unit? Since this is a resale I have no warranty. I just picked up an acoustic amp today, so now I am really hoping to get it working. I only wish it would have crapped out before I bought the amp and saved me some money.

Thanks guys.

OK I answered my own post. I did more research and I see that the input jack on an acoustic is nothing like the one on an electric. I removed the strings, and using my hand, and few other tricks I got the jack out. But I can't see any way to make any corrections or adjustments to it. When I insert the cable I get a few flashes of red from the esonic and then once I seat the cable, it is dead. I have tried to jiggle the cable or pause it on the way in while the light is red but no luck. I do not think it is the connection at the control unit, since it happens when trying to insert the cable, not after it is in.

The only time I used this I had the same problem, but I removed the cable and pushed it in again and it started to work, so I confirmed the pickup was functioning. I just bought this off CL so I have not used it with an amp, but the guy I got it from only had it one year (2012 model) and he did not have an amp. He said he wanted to learn to play but gave up, so I really don't think he ever tried to plug it in, but who knows.

Anyway, what do I do now? Can you order a replacement jack and wire it on at the control unit? I have not taken the unit off, but I assume it is either a plug or soldered on to some lugs? Or do you have to buy the entire esonic unit? Since this is a resale I have no warranty. I just picked up an acoustic amp today, so now I am really hoping to get it working. I only wish it would have crapped out before I bought the amp and saved me some money.

Thanks guys.

you should be able to remove the heat shrink where the wires are soldered to the jack to check those connections. I've never heard of one doing that. if it is the jack, you can replace that and keep the same wire since it plugs into the preamp. http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Jacks/Fishman_Switchjack_Endpin_Jack.html

you should be able to remove the heat shrink where the wires are soldered to the jack to check those connections. I've never heard of one doing that. if it is the jack, you can replace that and keep the same wire since it plugs into the preamp. http://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Electronics/Components_and_Parts/Jacks/Fishman_Switchjack_Endpin_Jack.html

OK so now I am starting to get the idea. If I remove the jack and slip off the shrink I should see the connecting wires. I can check them out. But the interesting thing is that this happens when I insert the cable, no twisting at all. As I insert it the red light flickers a few times but once it is seated, it stays off. I have tried and tried to slip it in slowly and pause while it is lit up but it is impossible. I thought there might be a wire loose somewhere but I can't figure out why it does this as I am inserting the cable as opposed to moving the jack around or rotating the cable. Has me baffled. Looks like if I have to I can just get a new jack and duplicate the wiring pattern on the existing one.

Thanks

OK so now I am starting to get the idea. If I remove the jack and slip off the shrink I should see the connecting wires. I can check them out. But the interesting thing is that this happens when I insert the cable, no twisting at all. As I insert it the red light flickers a few times but once it is seated, it stays off. I have tried and tried to slip it in slowly and pause while it is lit up but it is impossible. I thought there might be a wire loose somewhere but I can't figure out why it does this as I am inserting the cable as opposed to moving the jack around or rotating the cable. Has me baffled. Looks like if I have to I can just get a new jack and duplicate the wiring pattern on the existing one.

Thanks

it could be that the connection inside the barrel part of the jack is just not connecting (or has a weak connection). I'm sure you've run into that problem on a regular output jack where the simplest fix is to bend the leg of the jack in so it makes a tighter contact. that's the thing that sucks about the barrel jacks. you never really know what's happening inside. good luck! sorry I couldn't be more help...

Thanks for the link. I did some research and ordered a gold Switchcraft from Allparts for $15. It only has two lugs that correspond with my current set up. I think this might do the trick for me. I certainly appreciate your help. This is my first acoustic so forgive my stupid questions. I am cautious in my approach to ripping up the electronics, though I have five electrics and have done work on all of them. In two cases I have completely replaced everything, so I am familiar with a soldering iron.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Archived