Gibson Brands Forums

Nitro Finish Damage

Bozz

I have a couple of small spots of finish damage on the bottom side of a new J-35 where is came into contact with rubber on a guitar stand. The stand has felt covered supports which I thought was safe, but there is a tiny bit of rubber sticking out of each support. I now have what appears to be little smudges in the nitrocellulose finish. Unfortunately, they don't wipe off. I'm reluctant to put any polish or cleaner on the guitar as its manufacture date 6-24-14 and the finish still seems soft and it still has a strong nitro smell. I have read in other threads that Virtuoso polish works well on nitro finishes. Should I give that a shot now? Or, should I wait for a while to let the soft nitro cure a while longer?

Same thing happened to me with a mini Fender acoustic stand and my J-35. I tried using Music Nomad polish which is great for removing minor scratches, etc, but because of the chemical reaction, the damage is done. I know of no way to darken the specific area that was lightened by the rubber stand support. It seems to have lessened over the past few months but is still visible. I suggest doing nothing and not take a chance of causing more damage.

DC

IMHO, I'd wait and let it cure longer. Then use some Scratch-X and a soft cotton T-shirt and gently rub the marks out. You will then need to buff it some too. This will work on Poly too (Scratch-X that is). If you are patient, and use some elbow grease, you may be back out of the lurch. Done some pretty great cleanups that way. Nothing wrong with the Virtuoso polish for the final buffing, but without a closeup photo I can only imagine the damage.

Is it a dimple or discoloration in the finish (if so lighter or darker)?

Aster

Good advice from Aster. I had similar damage to my J45TV caused by a capo that I left on the headstock overnight. It lightened the color but also softened the finish. Let it firm up first. I waited a bit and then was able to mostly rub it out with virtuoso. It seemed to fade some with time also to the point that when I sold it (a weak yet stupid moment) it was hardly noticeable. Good luck! [smile]

I don't know how helpful this is, but my J-35 had raised finish where I added a strap button. I got paint thinner and a Q-tip and just dabbed it and it instantly repaired the finish. But later I did have to go back and hold the Q-tip for a few minutes to keep it from raising again.

"First, do no harm!"I would take some good pics and file them away for a year. I'd also wait to let the finish cure as Aster said: I'd wait 6 months and then use Gibson polish every month or so for the next 6 mos. Then take out the pics and compare. I had a 2" smear in my nitro from lemon oil and it is not visible after two years, using only Gibson polish. If it doesn't work, you still have all the other options open to you. You can try chemical peels, sandblasting or ... accept these new marks have become indistinguishable from others sure to come. G'Luck.

Archived