Gibson Brands Forums

Raising Finish

mooserman40

Do you mean the finish is lifting?

Or do you mean there's some kind of reaction occurring that's expanding the finish?

If it's lifting, you might have tightened the screw to much - you see what I'm talking about on the headstock when the tuner post nut is tightened to much.

FinishSeperate.jpg

image2_zps772e0a61.jpeg

My gibson acoustic has finish raised around the added strap button hole on the heel. I keep using paint thinner which lowers the finsh and makes it look fine. But after about a half hour the finish starts raising. How can I keep it down?

Haha actually that second picture is of mine! I published this question a few months ago! I use the thinner and it goes down and looks perfect but I starts to raise again

I'm not a luthier. In fact I am not much of any of those type of things. But one possibility would be to cut around the loose lacquer and take it out so it does not spread. Then relacquer, touch up, the small area. I definitely would not want to see the uplifting spread. It looks like the piece of felt or cork under the strap button may cover it up if it does not turn out just right.

chasAK

Archived