Gibson Brands Forums

"Blue Sky" Live in '71

darling67

This has historically been my favorite band of all time, which I've now added Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac in a two-way tie with them...

I've read alot on them and found that Dickie spent alot of time in symmetric/symmetrical scales/modes in his soloing and saw a guy demonstrate it on Youtube once and found the sound to be uncannily Dickie Betts-like...

I think the only other guys I've heard run those scales/modes much is possibly The Grateful Dead... (Which I'm not particularly a fan of, but find their early jams to be very reminiscent of the bluesier Allman Bros.)

Luv all their guitarists over the years! Duane, Dickie, Dan Toler, Warren Haynes, Jack Pearson, Derek Trucks, Et Al!

I've read alot on them and found that Dickie spent alot of time in symmetric/symmetrical scales/modes in his soloing and saw a guy demonstrate it on Youtube once and found the sound to be uncannily Dickie Betts-like...

Jim Mac, I think I know what you are referring to...

I am not schooled in music theory, so certain terms are lost on me. [blush] But, I always noticed weird "unexpected" scales in Betts' playing—like the harmonizing that he'd do with Duane. You think he's playing one thing, but upon listening closer, he's not doing anything close to what you thought.

Archived