Gibson Brands Forums

My list of "BLUES" songs…….

onewilyfool

These are the ones I've learned so far! (some may not consider some of these songs "blues", but I do. For example "Ain't no sunshine when she's gone", is just a blues song in Am in my opinion)-

"Steam Roller Blues"

"St.James Infirmary Blues"

"Malted Milk"

"Love in Vain"

"Ain't no sunshine when she's gone"

"Summertime"

"I'll never get out of these Blues alive" J.L. Hooker

"Oh Darling" Beatles

"Bring it on home to me" Sam Cooke

"No body knows you when you're down and out"

"Please Don't talk about me when you're gone"

"Georgia"

"San Francisco bay blues"

"Key to the Highway"

"Heartbreak Hotel"

Most of these by heart……This would be my complete blues set!

What are some of your Blues numbers!!??

I still play "Nobody Knows You When Your Down and Out" as well as "Brother Can You Spare a Dime."

But I would be here all day listng all of the blues songs I have played over the past 50+ years. Some are pretty predictable fare such as Tommy Johnson's "Big Road Blues" (which I play in both Drop D and Open D tuning) while others are heard less often like Memphis Minnie's "Lake Michigan." I would think the ones I have been playing the longest would be Bessie Smith's "Electric Chair Blues" Son House's "Death Letter Blues," and Leadbelly's "Gallis Pole."

I'm a fan of death letter blues. ...grimmest lyrics ever?

you're quite accomplished BK (regardless of what you think)

what's your favourite and what's the one that you get a big head after playing?

There are songs that will amaze an audience that aren't so difficult. ...smoke n mirrors. .....

then again you have 'its a hard rains gonna fall ' .... easy peasy eh? 4 chords! No problem :-s

What song amazes yourself that you make it through?

The first fingerpicking blues I learned was Willie McTell's Statesboro Blues. First bottleneck pieces? Peg Leg Howell's Skin Game and R Johnson's Terreplane (same day in a lesson from Paul Geremia--thanks Paul!). First rag? The Hesitation Blues. It's grown exponentially from there (mostly pieces originally arranged for acoustic).

Songs that amaze? Audiences are fickle but I get a lot of reponse from Charlie Poole's Milwauke Blues and slide peices like Come On In My Kitcken. Amazed me? Learning Gary Davis's Oh Glory How Happy I Am.

The first fingerpicking blues I learned was Willie McTell's Statesboro Blues. First bottleneck pieces? Peg Leg Howell's Skin Game and R Johnson's Terreplane (same day in a lesson from Paul Geremia--thanks Paul!). First rag? The Hesitation Blues. It's grown exponentially from there (I admit a bias to pieces originally arranged for acoustic).

Songs that amaze? Audiences are fickle but I get a lot of reponse from Charlie Poole's Milwauke Blues and slide peices like Come On In My Kitcken. Amazed me? Learning Gary Davis's Oh Glory How Happy I Am.

Hey Rambler i'm going to check out that Charlie Poole one.....cause i'm a Poole and had a grandfather Charlie.

I do remember he had one or two nice cuts on that Harry Smith folk anthology with the North Carolina Tar Heels? - assume it's the same guy-(not my grandfather- he worked in a window factory and I don't recall him playing many licks [smile] .)

Archived