Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar OCD

mooserman40

Alright so is it just me, or are other people super OCD when it comes to blemishes in your guitars finish/dings in the neck? Sometimes things like this drive me crazy! How can I be more laid back with my Gibson? [scared]

A high percentage of people get weird about something. Imho, it's only a problem to the degree that it keeps you from being functional. If you simply can't live with a scarred guitar, move on & get a perfect one. Someone else will enjoy your old guitar & you'll enjoy the new one. Is it totally rationale? Hell no, but so what if it doesn't hurt anyone?

Btw, your bill for my clinical time is being processed as we speak!

How old is your guitar?

For me its just a matter of how many scratches, dings and dongs a guitar has. The first ten to twenty hurt, from than on I don't care anymore.

My H'bird, which is about half a year old has one dong on the lower side, and man I got really mad about it.

My j-45 is about eight years old and I don't really care about any scars, cause there are so many.

Here are a few shots of my 24 year old les paul, I love all its scars (headstock broke three times!) and this thing plays and sounds like a dream!

IMG_4744_zpsc2f2e11f.jpg

IMG_4743_zpsacc5c053.jpg

IMG_4745_zpsfe8ac7eb.jpg

Some people call it mojo and some people go out and pay a premium buck for aged guitars.

Wait, I actually never saw and aged acoustic. Whatever, play the damn thing!

I think it depends on what the issue is.. it sucks if it's purely cosmetic, but,, you get over it.

if there's something that could advance, (like a finish crack or something that could get worse over time with climate changes) I'll have it looked at.

The only thing I get really OCD about is guitar stands for ex: I wont use those $20 "pitchfork" guitar stands, I threw those suckers away a long time ago. They are accidents waiting to happen.

It's GOT to be a sturdy stand that offers minimal risk of the guitar falling. (like a Hercules or a stand that has an A Frame construction with a neck rest) I try to avoid leaving the cable attached when any of them are on a stand, all it takes is one person to sang their foot on your cable and you're going to have a bad day.

I'm a firm believer in, if it's not being played, it's in the case. I don't mind getting it out of the case when I want to use one of them. I guess that's why some of my guitars, like my nearly 20 year old les paul standard, while not MINT, is still in excellent condition. if that's OCD,, well fine I'm OCD..

I think it depends on what the issue is.. it sucks if it's purely cosmetic, but,, you get over it.

if there's something that could advance, (like a finish crack or something that could get worse over time with climate changes) I'll have it looked at.

The only thing I get really OCD about is guitar stands for ex: I wont use those $20 "pitchfork" guitar stands, I threw those suckers away a long time ago. They are accidents waiting to happen.

It's GOT to be a sturdy stand that offers minimal risk of the guitar falling. (like a Hercules or a stand that has an A Frame construction with a neck rest) I try to avoid leaving the cable attached when any of them are on a stand, all it takes is one person to sang their foot on your cable and you're going to have a bad day.

I'm a firm believer in, if it's not being played, it's in the case. I don't mind getting it out of the case when I want to use one of them. I guess that's why some of my guitars, like my nearly 20 year old les paul standard, while not MINT, is still in excellent condition. if that's OCD,, well fine I'm OCD..

What's a pitchfork stand?

Alright so is it just me, or are other people super OCD when it comes to blemishes in your guitars finish/dings in the neck? Sometimes things like this drive me crazy! How can I be more laid back with my Gibson? [scared]

Just pick up a little vintage guitar like this one below - your therapist will buy me a new J200 for Xmas!

Wreck01e_zps3f2608ca.jpg

BluesKing777.

I've dropped my ovation and dented the neck in 3 different places, dropped my little martin and chipped the headstock, and my Peavey t-40 has a ruff spot by the headstock, and it doesn't bother me one bit. But something about pitted finish and dings on my Gibson just drive me crazy

I'm actually CDO.

It's basically OCD - but in alphabetical order.

Good one, fortyearspickn! I'm the same way. I have to wipe my guitars down every time I touch one. Scratches and dings would keep me awake at night.

Good one, fortyearspickn! I'm the same way. I have to wipe my guitars down every time I touch one. Scratches and dings would keep me awake at night.

Truthfully, I am a little crazy about making sure my hands are clean before I start playing. Especially the fingers on my left hand. Saw a sign once in a luthier/tech repair shop .. something to the effect - "Friends don't let friends touch their fretboard with dirty fingers." Stuck with me. I also never spray insect repellent on my right forearm. It's covered in chigger welts and mosquito bites - but I prefer that to some here who wear a sock over their arm. I just keep dropping the plectrum in the sound hole. And forget finger picking. As far as dings, dents and scratches - they're unavoidable. The first one hurts, each succeeding one, less and less. "What Would WIlly Do?"

I was like you....It took me the longest time to get over my OCD....But just keep this is mind, it's a piece of nice wood and it's meant to be played, along with this playing will come wear....If you want a museum piece buy another and hang it on the wall and never touch it except to clean it....That's the mentality I took.

This doesn't mean I purposely ding my guitars, but normal wear it's OK and will give your guitar character....Don't you like battle scars? :)

Wear and tear from years of playing I can handle. Splits, cracks or other signs of abuse I cannot handle. I still don't get how some people can have pick marks from top to bottom on a guitar. [cursing] i never use a pick guard and have never had pick scratches.

I am not very fond of letting others play my guitars, so in that regard I am a little OCD? I tend to hover around people and bite my lip the whole time. Even the thought of handing my guitar to a tech gets to me as they might not treat her as I do ( so, I usually do my own guitar work) I just hate seeing how others play on them, lol. I am a little over protective. I really should buy one or two guitars that friends can hack on.

While I play all of my instruments, I do make sure to take care of them as best I can. Still, I know they will all eventually have wear on them, I certainly don't want to accelerate it.

I am also kind of weird in that I usually only buy new instruments and ones that I order in (as I can't stand when other people have played them on the sales floor). I only have one used guitar and it was in perfect condition when I got her, I inspected every inch like a crazy man [biggrin]

Yeah, guess I am a little weird. Lol

I take good care of my guitars, but I don't obsess over them. I bought them to play and enjoy. Music takes me away from my worries. I immerse myself in it, and I can't imagine doing that if I'm worrying about my guitars. They're insured, and I always use a high quality luthier when they need work.

I was like you....It took me the longest time to get over my OCD....But just keep this is mind, it's a piece of nice wood and it's meant to be played, along with this playing will come wear....If you want a museum piece buy another and hang it on the wall and never touch it except to clean it....That's the mentality I took.

This doesn't mean I purposely ding my guitars, but normal wear it's OK and will give your guitar character....Don't you like battle scars? :)

I guess battle scars aren't that bad [thumbup]

Archived