Gibson Brands Forums

J-45 Legend Serial Number Location

ty lowcountry

Greetings!

To make a long story short, a well known musician from my area gave my sister his acoustic guitar after a little private party concert that he played. She (my sister) does not play guitar and she gave me what is now (and probably always will be) my most cherished instrument: a J-45 Legend. I'm happy to share the long story, but I thought I'd save y'all the reading time :)

It has a Fishman Matrix Infinity Active pickup in it, and the battery pouch is located on the neck block. Is the neck block where the serial number is? If so, do you think it would be safe to peel back the velcro to get the serial number, or would I just be messing things up at that point?

The serial number is neither on the headstock nor straight through the sound hole, so the only place I could think of would be under the velcro.

Thanks!

Ty

The serial number on the Legend is indeed inked on the neck block.

I'm not familiar enough with the Matrix Infinity Active to know whether you'd mess anything up by peeling the Velcro off the neck block, but it seems unlikely, as you can always buy another piece to reinstall the battery pouch.

I'd love to hear the story of your sister came by the Legend. That kind of stuff is what this forum is for!

Enjoy your Legend. It is a GREAT guitar.

Red 333

Greetings!

To make a long story short, a well known musician from my area gave my sister his acoustic guitar after a little private party concert that he played. She (my sister) does not play guitar and she gave me what is now (and probably always will be) my most cherished instrument: a J-45 Legend. I'm happy to share the long story, but I thought I'd save y'all the reading time :)

It has a Fishman Matrix Infinity Active pickup in it, and the battery pouch is located on the neck block. Is the neck block where the serial number is? If so, do you think it would be safe to peel back the velcro to get the serial number, or would I just be messing things up at that point?

The serial number is neither on the headstock nor straight through the sound hole, so the only place I could think of would be under the velcro.

Thanks!

Ty

The S/N IS on the neckblock. Are you trying to date tt? Does it have a tapered headstock? Is the pickguard under the finish or on top? Any chance we could see a picture of the guitar? in my experience the glue that holds those little battery bags in is merely the sticky backing of a piece of velcro tape. If you do remove it (carefully) you probably will need a new piece of velcro tape, To insure against it coming loose. I want to her the rest of this story. A Legend? Holy Moly !!!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, I am trying to date the guitar and just want to have the serial number just in case the worst should happen (being stolen).

I will take some pictures when I get home.

The story since you asked :)

My sister was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (cancer starting in the bone) when she was 10. During her 4 battles of cancer (darn disease kept coming back), she was introduced to a local music hero who passionately helps raise money for the local Children's Hospital that she was being treated at. He instantly fell in love with her. He puts on a benefit golf tournament every year (99% sure it is every year) followed by an auction to raise money for the Children's Hospital. She was invited as an honorary guest to the auction to share her story. One of the items being auctioned was a private concert for the winning bidder. Well, the winning bidder invited my sister to the private concert (this is where the guitar joins the story!) and the artist gave the guitar to my sister. I was actually out of the country at the time, but I got an email with a picture of him signing it and handing it over to her. Boy, was I jealous! Well, my sister, even being through everything that she has, handed the guitar over to her doofus older guitar playin' brother; me!! As for my sister, she is healthy, happy, and going off to college next year! :o

Thanks for reading!

Thanks everyone for the replies! Yes, I am trying to date the guitar and just want to have the serial number just in case the worst should happen (being stolen).

I will take some pictures when I get home.

The story since you asked :)

My sister was diagnosed with osteosarcoma (cancer starting in the bone) when she was 10. During her 4 battles of cancer (darn disease kept coming back), she was introduced to a local music hero who passionately helps raise money for the local Children's Hospital that she was being treated at. He instantly fell in love with her. He puts on a benefit golf tournament every year (99% sure it is every year) followed by an auction to raise money for the Children's Hospital. She was invited as an honorary guest to the auction to share her story. One of the items being auctioned was a private concert for the winning bidder. Well, the winning bidder invited my sister to the private concert (this is where the guitar joins the story!) and the artist gave the guitar to my sister. I was actually out of the country at the time, but I got an email with a picture of him signing it and handing it over to her. Boy, was I jealous! Well, my sister, even being through everything that she has, handed the guitar over to her doofus older guitar playin' brother; me!! As for my sister, she is healthy, happy, and going off to college next year! :o

Thanks for reading!

That's a great story. Who is the generous local music hero?

Glad your sister is doing fine, and hope she enjoys the college experience.

Red 333

Archived