Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul?

mikey<3hisguitar

Hello all!

I've been looking at various Gibson Les Pauls and I saw a video of Joe Don Rooney playing a Les Paul that I liked... However, there are so many different models of Les Pauls... I could really use some help identifying this specific model. Do you guys recognize or know anything about the guitar he is playing? I'd really appreciate any information and specs on this model. I've attached a picture below.

Thanks so much!

Michael

(Here is a video of him using the guitar)

post-53467-089436300 1406239290_thumb.png

Ohh man, that's so hard to say just from looking at it...

However just a quick google and I found this on the Gibson site

http://www2.gibson.com/News-Lifestyle/Features/en-us/Rascal-Flatts-Joe-Don-Rooney.aspx

Rooney uses a complex wet/dry rig on stage to recreate the vast array of sounds he and producer Dann Huff, an extraordinary guitarist in his own right, have printed on Rascal Flatts’ studio albums. An essential part of Rooney’s live arsenal is an armada of several Gibson Les Paul Studios and a ’59 reissue Les Paul Standard, and in the studio he employs Les Pauls, a ’63 SG Junior, an ES-335 and a Gibson Southern Jumbo.

So its probably a 59 Standard re-issue.

Guest Farnsbarns

I agree with Rabs, it's hard to be sure but I think it has an abr1 bridge and tall pickup rings which would also fit with the 59ri theory.

As the peg-head silkscreen also appears to say 'M O D E L' as opposed to 'MODEL' (which further backs-up the Re-Issue notion) it's almost certainly the '59 R-I mentioned by Rabs.

Furthermore it has an Historic-style TRC.

Although it's slightly unusual to find a R-I without a p'g fitted (there are no holes on his guitar) they do exist. My own '59 R-I was 'bare' when I got her.

Good choice of axe, Mr. Rooney.

P.

• 1 month later...

Agreed. And also doesn't a blank truss cover suggest a reissue/throwback/tribute to a historic model?

Yeah, the blank TRC is one of the give aways here. So you're correct in your observation. I would love to have one of those. They're some of the nicest Gibson has to offer.

Archived