Gibson Brands Forums

I am considering buying a EF500RA

lucille64

I have a DR500MNA and I love it.

I am seriously considering getting the EF500RANS but I am looking for honest straight forward tone descriptions of this particular model. ?

As in does it sound deep and balanced ?

Resonate, articulate and how nice is the V neck ?

Does it have really solid low end response and a smooth top end ?

Does it have good volume for a OMC body instrument ?

Because of arthritis in my hands I use 11-52 guage strings on all my acoustic guitars.

So experience with those or heavier gauges are welcome.

I own a 5000 dollar Martin custom shop 000-45 so I can't reasonably expect the exact same level of tone and quality but I am sold on Epiphone Masterbilts for the money invested.

I think my DR500MNA is as good as any 1-3 thousand dollar acoustic guitar out there.

I know I can count on our forum members to be forthcoming with good descriptions.... this is the one I'm looking at.....

D8334B2EADB7431F91F3281936A21C68_zps66fe9a43.jpg

No longer though !! see my last post !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am seriously considering getting the EF500RA but I am looking for honest straight forward tone descriptions of this particular model. ?

As in does it sound deep and balanced ? Resonate, articulate and how nice is the V neck ? Does it have really solid low end response and a smooth top end ?

I own a 5000 dollar Martin custom shop 000-45 so I can't reasonably expect the same level of tone and quality but I am sold on Epiphone Masterbilts for the money invested. I think my DR500MNA is as good as any 1-3 thousand dollar acoustic guitar out there.

I know I can count on our forum members to be forthcoming with good descriptions.... this is the one I'm looking at.....

Beautiful, to tell you the truth I've never played one but every video I've seen leaves we wanting one. the all around tone is amazing If you like the DR then you love this. Remember though strings make the difference. I've gone from Lights to medium lights and now I stay on Mediums they really make my DR stand out

this is the one I'm looking at.....

That was on my watch list too. It's weird that there are no bids on that one yet, and the other RA at auction had 75 bids and recently went for $630. I note the one you're looking at is listed as an EF500R, but it's hard to miss all that abalone! I just ordered last Tuesday about the only EF500M that was available anywhere, and it already arrived yesterday, Thursday. Jeez, that was fast! It's a 2009 that turns out to be in dead mint condition. [thumbup] I've played it for about 10 minutes. It'll take a little getting used to, with the wider nut and neck width, but the lows, mids, highs are all in great balance. It's a Masterbilt! The reviews I read say the ones with solid rosewood back and sides have a slightly different tone than the mahogany, as one might imagine, but it sounds like the difference is pretty slight, maybe a little deeper than the mahogany. I think you ought to go for it. :)

That was on my watch list too. It's weird that there are no bids on that one yet, and the other RA at auction had 75 bids and recently went for $630. I note the one you're looking at is listed as an EF500R, but it's hard to miss all that abalone! I just ordered last Tuesday about the only EF500M that was available anywhere, and it already arrived yesterday, Thursday. Jeez, that was fast! It's a 2009 that turns out to be in dead mint condition. [thumbup] I've played it for about 10 minutes. It'll take a little getting used to, with the wider nut and neck width, but the lows, mids, highs are all in great balance. It's a Masterbilt! The reviews I read say the ones with solid rosewood back and sides have a slightly different tone than the mahogany, as one might imagine, but it sounds like the difference is pretty slight, maybe a little deeper than the mahogany. I think you ought to go for it. :)

a side note question to you .... Cliffmac

what gauge strings do you use on your DR500 mahogany model Masterbilt and what type ? ex. bronze wound vs phosphor bronze and what brand ?

a side note question to you .... Cliffmac

what gauge strings do you use on your DR500 mahogany model Masterbilt and what type ? ex. bronze wound vs phosphor bronze and what brand ?

I've been trying a lot of different brands. I love the Gibson Masterbuilt but they don't last long, Martin SP med. Lights but the same they don't last, right now Elixer Nanoweb Phospher Bronze .013-.056 they are holding up the best so far. Next ones will be D'Adario Mediums. What's your Preference?

I've been trying a lot of different brands. I love the Gibson Masterbuilt but they don't last long, Martin SP med. Lights but the same they don't last, right now Elixer Nanoweb Phospher Bronze .013-.056 they are holding up the best so far. Next ones will be D'Adario Mediums. What's your Preference?

Cliffmac.... I have used Ernie Ball Earthwood bronze 80/20 11-52's for years on all my acoustics.

One because the arthritis in my hands forces me to use lighter gauge strings , I play with a very light attack and I do a lot of string bends.

Two because after many many different brands of strings I found the Earthwoods to last the longest of uncoated strings.

The coated ones vary with brand as to their feel and tone to me and I've never been completely sold on their sound. I always buy one or two cases of strings at a time so I change them often.

I did use EXP bronze wound for a while on my 000-45 Martin but I went back to Earthwoods once again. I always used EB Slinky 10-46 electric strings on every electric guitar I've had sine EB started making strings.

How about the Elixer Polyweb bronze strings ? You ever try them on your Masterbilt's ?

Funny thing is about my DR500MNA... I keep trying to find a fault, something that makes me cringe just a little about it and I swear I can't find anything. The build quality is so precise, the woods used appear to be AA or better quality, the bracing is clean and smooth, the binding is flawless, the fret work impeccable, the inlays done to perfection , the finish is pristine. It has to be labor costs that puts them in a price range like this.

Now that is a first for me thru all the guitars I have owned . Especially at this price point ? I mean come on this is just to good to be true, right ?

I am a believer now. I believe this instrument will stand toe to toe with about almost anything out there with maybe the exception of some specialized brands like Collings, Santa Cruz or other limited production very high end price wise instruments.

I read somewhere here on the forum and I think it was Guitarlight that said Epiphone should build a Masterbilt version of a Hummingbird.

I wholeheartedly agree !! That and a Doves in Flight model. Are you listening Gibson/ Epiphone ?

There would have to be a huge demand for a quality Masterbilt version of these two Gibson models so that those players with families and other financial burdens can afford reasonably priced and Masterbilt quality copies of these two historically famous models.

Even make them with the same headstock shape as the Gibson models only with Epiphone script inlaid in the headstock and Masterbilt truss rod covers. Just like the American series Epi's from long ago had or not and keep the historic Epi Masterbilt headstock shape.

ARE YOU LISTENING GIBSON ?????????????????????????

I tried the Earthwoods some time ago and they just didn't do it for me. The Elixers are nice because they are easy on the hands even the medium string have a light feel. I can play for hours like last night and not get cramps or feel that annoying strain on my ring finger. I did try the polywebs didn't like the feel, just pickie I guess.

I doubt you will see a masterbuilt bird or dove those have Gibson name Gibson/Fender will keep those and let Epi make the cheaper ones but check out youtube guy compares the Gibson bird to Epi bird and for the price wow you decide

Funny thing is about my DR500MNA... I keep trying to find a fault, something that makes me cringe just a little about it and I swear I can't find anything. The build quality is so precise, the woods used appear to be AA or better quality, the bracing is clean and smooth, the binding is flawless, the fret work impeccable, the inlays done to perfection , the finish is pristine. It has to be labor costs that puts them in a price range like this.

Now that is a first for me thru all the guitars I have owned . Especially at this price point ? I mean come on this is just to good to be true, right ?

I am a believer now. I believe this instrument will stand toe to toe with about almost anything out there with maybe the exception of some specialized brands like Collings, Santa Cruz or other limited production very high end price wise instruments.

Absolutely totally 100% agree with you.

I am seriously considering getting the EF500RANS but I am looking for honest straight forward tone descriptions of this particular model. ?

As in does it sound deep and balanced ?

Resonate, articulate and how nice is the V neck ?

Does it have really solid low end response and a smooth top end ?

Does it have good volume for a OMC body instrument ?

Because of arthritis in my hands I use 11-52 guage strings on all my acoustic guitars.

So experience with those or heavier gauges are welcome.

I own a 5000 dollar Martin custom shop 000-45 so I can't reasonably expect the exact same level of tone and quality but I am sold on Epiphone Masterbilts for the money invested.

I think my DR500MNA is as good as any 1-3 thousand dollar acoustic guitar out there.

I saw a previously used one hanging in Bill's Music House in Catonsville Md. about two years ago and I hesitated when I went back it was gone. I think they wanted in the $800 range for it. I should have played it. I own an AJ and two DP's and they are all consistently great (not just good). They are beautiful instruments as well. If only the were short scale...

I'm recommend you but it as this model doesn't seem to come up that often...

I tried the Earthwoods some time ago and they just didn't do it for me. The Elixers are nice because they are easy on the hands even the medium string have a light feel. I can play for hours like last night and not get cramps or feel that annoying strain on my ring finger. I did try the polywebs didn't like the feel, just pickie I guess.

I doubt you will see a masterbuilt bird or dove those have Gibson name Gibson/Fender will keep those and let Epi make the cheaper ones but check out youtube guy compares the Gibson bird to Epi bird and for the price wow you decide

you make a great point on the Gibson issue.

They could always build a Masterbilt square shouldered dread with the same appointments and finish as the Bird or the Dove and give it a letter designation like say... DR500BIRD or DR500DIF and use the Masterbilt headstock which would be fine by me.

I'd be in line for one of each.

As for the strings well they are like people, everyone has different taste and conceptions of tone.

I use the Earthwoods because I change strings every few days. I will try a set of the Nanoweb Elixers after I try these Polyweb ones.

I'm always open to suggestions, always keep an open mind on most things.

I saw a previously used one hanging in Bill's Music House in Catonsville Md. about two years ago and I hesitated when I went back it was gone. I think they wanted in the $800 range for it. I should have played it. I own an AJ and two DP's and they are all consistently great (not just good). They are beautiful instruments as well. If only the were short scale...

I'm recommend you but it as this model doesn't seem to come up that often...

Dennis yes if Epi would build a Masterbilt DR with a 24" scale and a 12 fret neck how sweet would that be? Or even a 24" scale on a 14 fret neck with a 12" radius with the option of rosewood or mahogany or even Koa wood bodies. Offer it in a cutaway as a special order with no electronics.

Are you listening Gibson/Epiphone ?

Dennis yes if Epi would build a Masterbilt DR with a 24" scale and a 12 fret neck how sweet would that be? Or even a 24" scale on a 14 fret neck with a 12" radius with the option of rosewood or mahogany or even Koa wood bodies. Offer it in a cutaway as a special order with no electronics.

Are you listening Gibson/Epiphone ?

They do that and I'm going to be sweet talkin the wife a lot!I'm already getting the points in waiting for the AJ-45 I've been hearing about.

OK you know what guys ??

I have decided to pass on the EF500RA.

Why ?

Well to tell the truth... My DR500MNA just plain satisfies my every need, desire, tone requirements , playability requirements and appearance needs. So I really have no need for it, it's that simple.

If I was still playing for a living I would grab the EF500 no doubt but being retired my DR500 does all I need it to.

I can't deny it... it is the first guitar I pick up every day and the last one I put down.

I swear for the life of me I don't know how Epiphone could build an instrument with this kind of quality, tone woods, attention to detail and playability for this kind of money. A guitar with such perfect balance from note to note. From low end to high end tone wise.

I have bonded with it so much in the short time I've owned it that all my other guitars just take up space and sit in their display cabinets feeling a bit lonely :)

I'm thinking they are going to stay that way for a while. I feel so comfortable writing songs on it, playing it in general, it's like it's been my best friend for years.

I ask myself ... is this even really possible but the truth is right in front of me and in my arms when I'm playing it.

There is nothing more I can say about it. I am a very happy guitar player since I received my Masterbilt, period !

OK you know what guys ??

I have decided to pass on the EF500RA.

Why ?

Well to tell the truth... My DR500MNA just plain satisfies my every need, desire, tone requirements , playability requirements and appearance needs. So I really have no need for it, it's that simple.

If I was still playing for a living I would grab the EF500 no doubt but being retired my DR500 does all I need it to.

I can't deny it... it is the first guitar I pick up every day and the last one I put down.

I swear for the life of me I don't know how Epiphone could build an instrument with this kind of quality, tone woods, attention to detail and playability for this kind of money. A guitar with such perfect balance from note to note. From low end to high end tone wise.

I have bonded with it so much in the short time I've owned it that all my other guitars just take up space and sit in their display cabinets feeling a bit lonely :)

I'm thinking they are going to stay that way for a while. I feel so comfortable writing songs on it, playing it in general, it's like it's been my best friend for years.

I ask myself ... is this even really possible but the truth is right in front of me and in my arms when I'm playing it.

There is nothing more I can say about it. I am a very happy guitar player since I received my Masterbilt, period !

Sounds like a good reason but to tell the truth although mine is my pride and joy and compares to no other. I am waiting to see this Aj 45 Masterbuilt

I have used Ernie Ball Earthwood bronze 80/20 11-52's for years on all my acoustics.

Man, I need some 11s. I don't know what's on my new EF, but the action sure is harder than my electrics, which is only a surprise by how much. Did I read somewhere that I might need to adjust the neck in going from 13s to 11s?

Man, I need some 11s. I don't know what's on my new EF, but the action sure is harder than my electrics, which is only a surprise by how much. Did I read somewhere that I might need to adjust the neck in going from 13s to 11s?

Cougar, if you have 13's on it now and then put 11's on it the truss rod adjustment set for the 13's would only make the action closer going to 11's because the tension of 13's is considerable stronger than 11's.

to check the bow of the neck while strung put a capo on the first fret and hold down the low E string at the 14th fret and use a feeler gauge set at approx.10- 12 thousandths and slip it between the bottom of the low E string between the 5th to the 9th fret and see if that feeler gauge slides between those frets and that string from the 5th to the 9th fret without pushing the string upward. If you can do that with a 10 thousandths to 12 thousandths gauge then the truss adjustment should be very close to correct.

Archived