Gibson Brands Forums

cann't decide between a J45TV and J45 brad paisley

snowleopard

Hi friends:

i was totally depressed about choosing a J45 between J45TV or J45 Brad paisley or J45 1960's

i really love that 1960s j45 sound when you strum it and suddenly mute it.it is a typical J45 sound to me.

i wanted buy a 1960j45,but i also want to buy a new one. i found that J45 brad paisley claimed that they build this guitar to memorise those old J45,especially brad's 1963 J45.

but i watched some videos on youtube only to find that this J45 Brad is not so woody and warm like a J45 1960's,even no better than a J45TV.

So anyone who had this J45 brad paisley????anyone who compared these two guitars? anyone who had played a J45 1960S?

Give me some advice!! thanks!!!! i was driven to death!

I would never judge any guitar from a video clip. But I suspect you are caught up in something not all that uncommon these days with all the stuff available in the interweb - you are overthinking the whole thing. Can't explain it but when you stumble upon the right guitar you will know it. If you are still pondering what to buy and going back and forth and round and round between this guitar and that you probably have just not found it yet.

I suspect you are caught up .. with all the stuff available in the interweb. If you are still pondering what to buy and going back and forth and round and round between this guitar and that you probably have just not found it yet.
Good counsel. Fwiw, I just happended to listen to a clip of a BP 45 on another thread here. I didnt detect a lot of difference between it and my memory of the couple of TV 45s Ive encountered. Both have a big ringing sound. Neither has the dry woody slightly compressed tone of a 60's slope J (I had a 65 J50 for many moons. Great sound but never could abide the skinny neck). If that's the tone you want, the vintage market may be your best bet. You can still find one in your price range, although with all the risks that a 50+ guitar entails (risks that make web purchases even more risky). Not what you want to hear, perhaps, but there you go. R

Snwlprd, Try not to be too depressed! You are in a great place - many would be envious of your dilemma. Enjoy the process. Your solution may be influenced by where you live - as that affects the availability of vintage J45s to tryout. Plan B would be to purchase through the internet from a reputable dealer with a good return policy. Strings, picks and style can affect the subtleties of how two very similar guitars will sound. And, as ZWoof pointed out - recordings are further affected by the equipment used. So - take your time. Educate yourself. You'll know it when the right one appears. That's what happened to me when I pulled the trigger on a new J45 Custom Koa. (Unabashed bragging not withstanding!) G'Luck.

I would never judge any guitar from a video clip. But I suspect you are caught up in something not all that uncommon these days with all the stuff available in the interweb - you are overthinking the whole thing. Can't explain it but when you stumble upon the right guitar you will know it. If you are still pondering what to buy and going back and forth and round and round between this guitar and that you probably have just not found it yet.

thanks!!!i probably didn't find the one i really want!!!

Good counsel. Fwiw, I just happended to listen to a clip of a BP 45 on another thread here. I didnt detect a lot of difference between it and my memory of the couple of TV 45s Ive encountered. Both have a big ringing sound. Neither has the dry woody slightly compressed tone of a 60's slope J (I had a 65 J50 for many moons. Great sound but never could abide the skinny neck). If that's the tone you want, the vintage market may be your best bet. You can still find one in your price range, although with all the risks that a 50+ guitar entails (risks that make web purchases even more risky). Not what you want to hear, perhaps, but there you go. R

very useful message for me!!!thanks!!!

Snwlprd, Try not to be too depressed! You are in a great place - many would be envious of your dilemma. Enjoy the process. Your solution may be influenced by where you live - as that affects the availability of vintage J45s to tryout. Plan B would be to purchase through the internet from a reputable dealer with a good return policy. Strings, picks and style can affect the subtleties of how two very similar guitars will sound. And, as ZWoof pointed out - recordings are further affected by the equipment used. So - take your time. Educate yourself. You'll know it when the right one appears. That's what happened to me when I pulled the trigger on a new J45 Custom Koa. (Unabashed bragging not withstanding!) G'Luck.

thanks!!!

At one time I was interested in the Paisley J45. Gorgeous guitar and sounds great too. Ended-up with an awesome standard as it turns out, BUT, what kind of steered me away from the Paisley J45 is that (from everything I've found) is that it has a relatively narrow nut. Does anyone know for sure about this? I hope you get to play the guitars before you buy. However, if a guitar feels good to you, you won't care how you purchased it. Good luck in your hunt.

Never played the Paisley, sorry I have zero comparison there.

I've A/B'd several TV's side by side, and loved them all. (9/10 cosmetically, watch for that)

The older one's as you guessed, had a little more resonance than the newly arrived. One of these was in the shop 5 years even.

IF you suspect/ appreciate that soundboards break-in/open-up....I would consider that while test-driving.

The Paisley's also adi/ red spruce, so it'll probably be important to consider that too.

But seriously, the TV's aren't 100% perfect, but for me the tone and weight is spot-on, everytime.. uhh several times soo that's actually a tiny batch!

I've only played the TV which I liked. When I look at Gibson's specs the afore mentioned differences are there. I had a HB pro and disliked the narrow nut so much that I sold it.

TV- Slim Taper neck profile - 1.725" at Nut

paisley - Modified "V" neck Profile - 1.625" at Nut

I've only played the TV which I liked. When I look at Gibson's specs the afore mentioned differences are there. I had a HB pro and disliked the narrow nut so much that I sold it.

TV- Slim Taper neck profile - 1.725" at Nut

paisley - Modified "V" neck Profile - 1.625" at Nut

sorry what is HD pro?

HB Pro is a Hummingbird body with a long scale and narrow nut. It was a good looking and sounding guitar but I could not get used to it. It's a GC exclusive but others sell them

HB Pro is a Hummingbird Pro square shoulder body with a long scale and narrow nut. It was a good looking and sounding guitar but I could not get used to it. It's a GC exclusive but others sell them

IMG_0247_zps6cc773c7.jpg

Archived