Gibson Brands Forums

The way they go on over there at the UMGF about the CEO 7

onewilyfool

Have any of you tried the CEO 7? I mean if imitation is the best form of flattery, Matrtin's steal of the L-00 architecture has certainly high praise. But the way they go on over there, you'd think it is the best thing to come out of Martin in 181 years??!!! I've not seen one at our local Martin guitar shop, but would love to try it out against a similar wooded L-00. Has Martin out L-00'd Gibson? I wish I could try one out…darn!

Ha ha de ho ho ha ha!

I have tried one here at the very end of the guitar universe ...here! And OWF hasn't ....ha ja ha! What kind of shops you got there...

I played all the om's in stock, after reading about this one and that one, but really the target trier out..... Was the CEO7.

I loved it!

I have the mahogany b/s om18v, and I would say the CEO7 is very similar sounding/playing with its largish V neck - probably more like an 00-18v which I haver never played, I don't think.

The CEO sounds definitely like a Martin.... I may wait until someone plays in the Adi top and moves on, then...strike. It is mine.

I do have a few mahogany guitars though.

(They also make a Martin J45..ish, a J200 ish....)

BluesKing777.

A friend of mine has one of these CEO 7s, and I've played it many times. My conclusion: it's OK.

Can't quite figure out what all the hoopla is about. Sounds like a good , modern Martin, but not exceptionally special.

So, Gibson in looks only.

I'm in the, "Gotta have one", CEO-7 corner. It's the Martin sound with tons of sustain, and she's a looker on top of it all! It's not made to bang out chords , but it provides a sweet finger-style, strumming tone. Nicer nut width than my Eagle was, nicer spacing too. Small, yet feisty.....Martin has a winner!(and soon I will too.)

Has Martin out L-00'd Gibson?
My guess? Martin's distinctive hi-lo spread and hyper-articulation are intact, rendering it (ala BHO to HRC) "likable enough" but nothing at all like an L00. Bk's comments would seem to bear that out.

My pet peeve about Martins has nothing to do with the quality of the guitars themselves. I love the Martins that have earned Martin the legendary status it has. I just don't find myself even caring to know what a CEO7 is. Admittedly, it may be a generational thing, but give me a name with a "D" or "HD" or "OM" in it and it arouses old memories and even some tall tales.

I'd been looking for a good sounding small body when I encountered and bought a CEO-7 a few months ago. It was at a local shop that sells for near MAP prices and I paid up without taking my other hand off the guitar. It's that good. I played dozens of guitars of all makes before hitting on this CEO-7. It is that good.

The CEO moniker and the connotation to actual CEO's brings me up short. Sort of like a signature model of someone I find highly distasteful.

Luckily in this case, from all indications the CEO is a good guy!

One would have to think that Chris Martin likes Gibsons, based on the various CEO models. If Martin can take that essentially Gibson blueprint and create a fine guitar, it adds one more worthwhile choice to the instrument pool.

Have any of you tried the CEO 7? I mean if imitation is the best form of flattery, Matrtin's steal of the L-00 architecture has certainly high praise. But the way they go on over there, you'd think it is the best thing to come out of Martin in 181 years??!!! I've not seen one at our local Martin guitar shop, but would love to try it out against a similar wooded L-00. Has Martin out L-00'd Gibson? I wish I could try one out…darn!

Haven't played one, but if it's anything like the CEO-4...

original.jpg

...it looks like a Gibson, sounds like a Martin. What's up with that? Is Martin's CEO a closet Gibson fan?

P

Haven't played one, but if it's anything like the CEO-4...

original.jpg

...it looks like a Gibson, sounds like a Martin. What's up with that? Is Martin's CEO a closet Gibson fan?

P

Aaaaaand..... They still can't do the burst right...

Their amber tone guitars look great but a nice burst? Just can't do it...

• 2 years later...

UPDATE: n 25 July 2014 - 01:57 AM, said:My guess? Martin's distinctive hi-lo spread and hyper-articulation are intact, rendering it (ala BHO to HRC) "likable enough" but nothing at all like an L00. Bk's comments would seem to bear that out." UPDATE: I was too dismissive of these, because I was juding them from a Gibson perspective. It might make more sense to look at these as 12-fret Martin 00 with a 14 fret neck slapped on it. Because it has Martin's wider waist and shoulder than the Gibson counterpart, it is going to have a bigger low end and more sustain than an L00. But the longer body makes it way more punchier than Martin's regular 14-fret 00s. The standard 0018 is

is in your face. I linked 2 version of Moshe's Rag to demo the difference. Check
for some bluesy picking on one of these.

If you are looking for an authentic 30's L00 sound on a budget,get a Waterloo, or if the pocketbook allows, The Legend. If trad L00s are too strident, but you want more punch, bass and sustain than a regular 00, this could fill the bill.

....It IS one of Martins finest! Construction is old school finery. Tone(ymmv, but on mine) is exceptional, as is the thinly applied finish and bracing. Woods are top notch. In my case, couldn't bond with the mod V neck. Sold it for a pittance. the buyer drove a couple of hours to try and buy it. It was worth the drive for him. Can't say Martin has out L-00'd Gibson with this model, but Martin has given us another great acoustic to GAS onmsp_thumbup.gif

Is some trying to sell a CEO7 and brought up a 3 year old thread to drum up some interest?
Nope. I have an interest in concert-size models and the flow of much search took me down the CEO tributary --and gave me a chance to correct an earlier, less informed opinion. Just guitar talk. Move along.

"They were OK but nothing special" Maybe time for another listen.

I've had my CEO-7 for a while now and it is sounding better and better. I'm not sure why it has to be a Gibson or a Martin ( or a Larrivee, for that matter). The CEO-7 sounds and feels better than any affordable L- I played so I bought it. Martin didn't offer a model that corresponded to my J-35 so I bought that one. Neither Gibson or Martin offer a guitar comparable to my 35 year old Larrivee L09, so guess what, I bought that one too.

Archived