Gibson Brands Forums

Les Paul Standard Premium Plus

johnnybgood

Hi,

I've just bought a Les Paul Standard Premium Plus 2013 at my local music store (they're currently closed for summer holidays) and I've noticed a few things, on which I would appreciate the feedback from other players before going back to the store.

1) Is it normal that the hole on the far-right edge of the Tune-o-matic bridge has no screw in it (as opposed to the left hole, where there is one? I've attached a picture).

2) The tone pots seem to have a much "tighter" feel to it when turned, whereas the volume pots seem to have some slack in it, both horizontally and vertically. Is this normal?

3) There is a terrible buzz when the guitar's volumes are turned open and I do not touch the strings or any metallic part of the guitar. It vanishes when I touch the jack, the metallic plate around the input jack, the strings, or even the tuning screws (also, obviously much worse with distortion or higher gain). The luthier checked the electronics and he said it played fine in the store. After having read in various forums on the subject, and since it could be nearly "anything", I've decided not to worry too much and wait to go back to the luthier; in the meantime, I will also play it on a friend's amp and see what we get there.

Thank you for your time and advice,

Larry

Hi,

I've just bought a Les Paul Standard Premium Plus 2013 at my local music store (they're currently closed for summer holidays) and I've noticed a few things, on which I would appreciate the feedback from other players before going back to the store.

1) Is it normal that the hole on the far-right edge of the Tune-o-matic bridge has no screw in it (as opposed to the left hole, where there is one? I've attached a picture).

2) The tone pots seem to have a much "tighter" feel to it when turned, whereas the volume pots seem to have some slack in it, both horizontally and vertically. Is this normal?

3) There is a terrible buzz when the guitar's volumes are turned open and I do not touch the strings or any metallic part of the guitar. It vanishes when I touch the jack, the metallic plate around the input jack, the strings, or even the tuning screws (also, obviously much worse with distortion or higher gain). The luthier checked the electronics and he said it played fine in the store. After having read in various forums on the subject, and since it could be nearly "anything", I've decided not to worry too much and wait to go back to the luthier; in the meantime, I will also play it on a friend's amp and see what we get there.

Thank you for your time and advice,

Larry

The only issue that I feel qualified to address is the empty hole in the locking tailpiece. There should be an adjustment screw in there just like the other side.

Welcome.

1 - IMO the store should've got you a set screw.

2 - The pots should turn easily with one finger, if not that would bother me.

3 - If there was no buzz at the shop, you either have something generating noise in your home circuitry or your amp has problem, possibly a bad ground.

Nice guitar. Hope you get things sorted out.

Hello Johnny, and welcome to this nice place in the web.

First, congrats on your nice guitar, HNGD! [biggrin][thumbup]

Now on the details:

1) The TonePros locking bridge and stopbar tailpiece should each have a headless screw on both ends. Please look carefully in the lining of the guitar case. It may have been lost there and possibly damage the guitar finish by accident. In case you want or need to substitute it, take care since these screws are of metric sizes. The matching Allen wrench should be supported in the case's accessories compartment.

You're in no hurry with finding a new one. Just make sure the other ones are tightened sufficiently and get a replacement at a given opportunity.

2) Due to different push/pull switches, volume and tone pots are of different builds. The volume pots are full size and contain a fairly heavy single pole on/off switch. The tone pots are mini pots featuring a double pole/double throw switch. This makes the pots feel different, either when rotating and pushing/pulling. No reason for worrying.

3) CAUTION: Please check your electrical equipment and environment or have it checked by trained personnel. There might be a potentially lethal problem in the earth/ground connection. Since your guitar is connected to the amp's earth/ground through the guitar cable, voltage differences between guitar and amp, and any other electrically conductive object can be dangerous.

Hope this helps.

Dear all,

Thank you all for your replies. I am actually very excited about this new guitar, as I've always desired a Les Paul, and I must say she plays just like a dream :) and those Burstbuckers deliver such a full & warm sound, it's unbelievable.

Yes, the pots are push/pull on this model.

In fact, there was some buzz at the shop when plugged into an eBand JS-10 with effects; there was no buzz (or at least not a noticeable one) when we plugged it into a proper amp at the shop, but the gain wasn't very high and no distortion or screamer added. The luthier also said it didn't buzz when he checked it. Because I don't yet have a proper amp at home, I've also bought the eBand JS-10, and that's the one I use for the moment at home with same buzz btw). I will play the guitar on a friend's amp and see what we've got there, and also test it back at the shop when they re-open.

I also got fret buzz (low E, A, D, around the 5th fret and down, and on the open G); the luthier said he'd adjusted the truss rod when he checked the guitar. He will adjust it again once the shop reopens.

In any case, thanks again for your feedback.

Larry

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I have some updates.

Regarding the buzzing: the issue is not with the guitar (I've checked it on different amps at a friend's place), and it's fine. So the issue lies with my amp and possibly the way the apartment is wired.

The missing screw was put in by the second luthier I've brought the guitar to.

I probably didn't mention it earlier but I had terrible fret buzz on some open strings and down starting at the 5th frets when I picked up the guitar from the store.

So I've brought the guitar to another luthier recommended by a friend of mine. Bottom line: the slots of the bone nut were - how should I say - "adjusted" (i.e. cut slightly deeper), so the strings are now in a too low position. He made adjustments the best he could (raised the bridge on the side of the lower strings, checked the heights of the frets, adjusted the truss rod, but he could do nothing about the string buzz on the open E and D, and to some extent also on the A string. And it still buzzes on fretted positions, although a lot less than initially. What he'd recommend is to change the bone nut, but even though this is a current operation, it is still a delicate and costly one.

I've read some posts about putting glue or cigarette paper into the slots, but the luthier didn't like that idea. I guess I'll have to live with it.

My question to you guys: how can I find out the initial height of the bone nut and the depth of its slots on a new Les Paul standard premium?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi guys,

I have some updates.

Regarding the buzzing: the issue is not with the guitar (I've checked it on different amps at a friend's place), and it's fine. So the issue lies with my amp and possibly the way the apartment is wired.

The missing screw was put in by the second luthier I've brought the guitar to.

I probably didn't mention it earlier but I had terrible fret buzz on some open strings and down starting at the 5th frets when I picked up the guitar from the store.

So I've brought the guitar to another luthier recommended by a friend of mine. Bottom line: the slots of the bone nut were - how should I say - "adjusted" (i.e. cut slightly deeper), so the strings are now in a too low position. He made adjustments the best he could (raised the bridge on the side of the lower strings, checked the heights of the frets, adjusted the truss rod, but he could do nothing about the string buzz on the open E and D, and to some extent also on the A string. And it still buzzes on fretted positions, although a lot less than initially. What he'd recommend is to change the bone nut, but even though this is a current operation, it is still a delicate and costly one.

I've read some posts about putting glue or cigarette paper into the slots, but the luthier didn't like that idea. I guess I'll have to live with it.

My question to you guys: how can I find out the initial height of the bone nut and the depth of its slots on a new Les Paul standard premium?

Thanks,

Larry

Hi Larry - According to a guy named Dave at Gibson Memphis, the string height at the nut should be as follows - Measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". (1/64" = 0.4 mm, 1.5/64" = 0.6 mm, 2/64" = 0.8 mm)

There's a way to fill in the nut slots and re-file them to the correct height using a mixture of baking soda and super glue. I have never done this, but there are instructions

According to Bruce Egnater of Egnater amps, one of the most prominent sources of electronic buzzing are flourescent light dimmers. If you have any of those in your house, you would want to turn them off, so that the dimming function isn't working.

Hi Larry - According to a guy named Dave at Gibson Memphis, the string height at the nut should be as follows - Measure the string height at the nut; underside of the string to the top of the fret. Low E and A should measure 2/64", D and G =1.5/64" and B and high E = 1/64". (1/64" = 0.4 mm, 1.5/64" = 0.6 mm, 2/64" = 0.8 mm)

There's a way to fill in the nut slots and re-file them to the correct height using a mixture of baking soda and super glue. I have never done this, but there are instructions

According to Bruce Egnater of Egnater amps, one of the most prominent sources of electronic buzzing are flourescent light dimmers. If you have any of those in your house, you would want to turn them off, so that the dimming function isn't working.

An make sure you don't have your cell phone in your pocket!

Hi badbluesplayer,

Thanks for the numbers. Well, I've just measured the low E string: 0.2 mm The other strings are the same, way lower than the figures you've mentioned. So this would corroborate what the second luthier said, i.e. that the nut was "adjusted" at some point. Having bought this guitar new from the shop, I am a bit puzzled (Les Paul Standard Premium Plus, 2013). I've attached two pictures.

Larry

post-66617-040874900 1409164806_thumb.jpg

post-66617-018824100 1409165073_thumb.jpg

... There's a way to fill in the nut slots and re-file them to the correct height using a mixture of baking soda and super glue. ...

I've done this using 'ultra gel control' super glue by loctite - not runny and cures slower allowing time to mix the baking soda and get it in the slot.

Or, have a new nut installed, properly cut of course - I recommend bone.

Regarding 'adjustment' puzzle - possibly setup for someone who returned/refused it.

Archived