Gibson Brands Forums

korean strat

Richie123

I don´t know about the late 80s, early 90 ones, (net)rumers tells that leftover parts from Japan manufacturing where used...

I have 2 Korean Pro tones from late 90s, one strat, one tele thinline, great guitars, not even the pots are bad as they where on the 80s Japan Squiers and Fenders. Thin necks are the only drawback from my point of view, but now i´m used to that too, alnico pups too, i think alnico V, sounds great anyway. To be honest i can´t say they are in any way inferior to my 79 strat or my Baja tele, just a little different.

off hand, IMX, those were not great years for the Korean exports. They have come quite a ways today from those days.

On the other hand, if you had a Japanese made strat from that same time frame, I would say "do it!"

What is the asking price?

I would look it over really good before I'd pull the trigger

It's a bargain. A friend of mine got one from around the same time with 2 cheapo 'bedroom' amps for just a bit more and it's a fine guitar which would do me on any gig. I say go for it.

Ritchie, personally I hate the idea of just having a guitar with no real purpose that just takes up space and never gets played except occasionally to justify keeping it - which is just as well cos there are a lot of these cheap bargains people are just clearing out through eBay and such....

...so, my advice is to define a 'purpose' to it - this could be -

- Back-up for main gig Strat during gigs for broken string etc

- Open tuning guitar for occasional song in gig to avoid retuning on the fly

- Slide guitar with higher action (same as above)

- Guitar to keep at work for rainy days when its too wet to go for a walk during lunch break

- etc

...Then it all falls into place and becomes a great bargain for an entirely necessary - critical even - purchase! [biggrin]

(and for the price of a tank of petrol, it can't be that bad)

Hi Richie,

To be fair, I don't think anyone slagged it off. The responses mainly were either supportive, or trying to be optimistic (mine was in that category) or at least saying go for it but that it would be good to check it out first to make sure it had no issues.

Maybe its that the questions you asked at the start are not easy to answer. they were:

Are Korean Squier Stratocasters any good???

Its very hard to answer - compared to what? (Les Paul, Am. Strat, Epiphone SG) - and Korean Squires may have varied in quality when new let alone many years down the track. What is important to you personally that makes something good or not good - even things like neck profiles could make a big difference to individuals. How many people on a Gibson forum would have detailed knowledge of Korean Squiers - maybe not too many.

and

Is it worth buying???

How to answer that? especially without knowing the price, the condition, what you plan to use it for (parts, gigs, ...).

Unfortunately if everyone answered "I just don't know" it would be pointless so I guess everyone answered as best they could - and again pretty supportively as i read it.

what i just wrote is all meant to be constructive by the way.

Hope the squier gives you much pleasure in any case and that it is better built than the affinity and worth the 75 pounds.

Archived