Gibson Brands Forums

Steppinwolf-The Monster

10K-DB

This came to mind as I was hearing world news over the past few days,,my older bro used to play this on his record player,,it still has special significance today. It tells quite a story if you listen to the lyrics. Just one mans opinion.

I absolutely remember this song when i was a kid along with Magic Carpet Ride (which I loved) and The Pusher (which my Dad hated).

You know I have spent most of my life thinking that John Kay escaped across the wall in Berlin into West Germany from the East. But wikipedia says otherwise and that he left East Prussia (mostly what would become East Germany) at the end of WWII to live in Hanover. No escaping over the wall?

I was going to respond to this post about how his exposure to government behind the wall gave him unique perspective, blah blah blah, but looks like I would have been wrong..... yet again. A bit ironic because the original post is about how appropriate the song might be currently even though it was written 45 years ago. Then again, didn't Plato say things a few thousand years ago that are germane even today?

Nothing to see here, have a great weekend. [biggrin]

Interesting band. We play a couple of their songs and the people in the 55-60 ish age group really like hearing them so they must have made an impression on the youth back in the day. A lot of the music of the 'Vietnam' period sounds gloriously semi/unstructured to me, much like some of the literature of the time. not sure whether the substances of the day made it all come together or simply freed the mind to not be concerned with unconventional structures - maybe the latter? Those years left an interesting musical legacy.

I absolutely remember this song when i was a kid along with Magic Carpet Ride (which I loved) and The Pusher (which my Dad hated).

You know I have spent most of my life thinking that John Kay escaped across the wall in Berlin into West Germany from the East. But wikipedia says otherwise and that he left East Prussia (mostly what would become East Germany) at the end of WWII to live in Hanover. No escaping over the wall?

I was going to respond to this post about how his exposure to government behind the wall gave him unique perspective, blah blah blah, but looks like I would have been wrong..... yet again. A bit ironic because the original post is about how appropriate the song might be currently even though it was written 45 years ago. Then again, didn't Plato say things a few thousand years ago that are germane even today?

Nothing to see here, have a great weekend. [biggrin]

Here is one just as pertinent! John now lives in or near Nashville.

Nothing to see here, have a great weekend. [biggrin] Thanks,,have a good one U2

• 2 weeks later...

Archived