Gibson Brands Forums

'80 Gibson Flying V with a headstock repair. To buy or not to buy?

Oliade677

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1980 Gibson Flying V in tobacco sunburst that is mostly in original condition. I was told the guitar had no prior breaks or repairs. After inspecting the guitar, it was easy to determine that there was actually a prior headstock repair. Just below the base of the headstock, there is a "v" shaped discoloration in the finish. The owner had no knowledge of the repair or the incident that caused the damage. The guitar is in solid shape otherwise, but having no history of the repair is a bummer. The ohsc is not included, as well. Is this guitar worth picking up? Assuming everything else is original, what would you consider paying?

AvJmQf.jpg

MChDFi.jpg

7o8eYp.jpg

I have an opportunity to pick up a 1980 Gibson Flying V in tobacco sunburst that is mostly in original condition. I was told the guitar had no prior breaks or repairs. After inspecting the guitar, it was easy to determine that there was actually a prior headstock repair. Just below the base of the headstock, there is a "v" shaped discoloration in the finish. The owner had no knowledge of the repair or the incident that caused the damage. The guitar is in solid shape otherwise, but having no history of the repair is a bummer. The ohsc is not included, as well. Is this guitar worth picking up? Assuming everything else is original, what would you consider paying?

Find out what these types of guitars are going for on eBay and offer $500 less. It kind of depends what you plan to do with the guitar. If you're buying it as an investment, I would walk away from it. If you're buying it just to play it and have fun with it, offer what you think it's worth. I'm not sure if I would ever buy a guitar with a headstock repair but from what I understand there are plenty of guitars with repaired headstocks out there being used by big name players that are still in service.

Thanks for the feedback. My reasoning for picking it up is a bit of both, as both a guitar to enjoy and play with, but also as a potential long-term investment. The seller is asking $1,100. I wouldn't want to drop that kind of money today and have difficulty recouping that money down the road. Preferably, I'd be able to make a little money if the need to sell arose.

Thanks for the feedback. My reasoning for picking it up is a bit of both, as both a guitar to enjoy and play with, but also as a potential long-term investment. The seller is asking $1,100. I wouldn't want to drop that kind of money today and have difficulty recouping that money down the road. Preferably, I'd be able to make a little money if the need to sell arose.

Buy stock.

rct

That looks like a solid repair to me. The price is actually not bad, considering what these old V's are going for, plus its a Tobaccoburst, which in itself fairly rare. The thing is, does it feel good to you? Sound good to you? Make sure the neck isnt twisted. For that money, if all is well with feel and sound, go for it. I would.

Archived