Gibson Brands Forums

Refinishing Top on Gibson B-15 Acoustic

I just recently picked up this project online. It is an old Gibson B-15 presumably from the 1960s... Someone installed a new Spruce top on it and it was done a bit amateurishly. The sound-hole needs to be smoothed out a bit. I am not sure if a rosette can be installed because the sound-hole is a bit too far north. I figure I'll just stain it and be done with it. What would be the correct way to finish the top on a guitar like this? How did Gibson originally do it?

DSC02634

I just recently picked up this project online. It is an old Gibson B-15 presumably from the 1960s... Someone installed a new Spruce top on it and it was done a bit amateurishly. The sound-hole needs to be smoothed out a bit. I am not sure if a rosette can be installed because the sound-hole is a bit too far north. I figure I'll just stain it and be done with it. What would be the correct way to finish the top on a guitar like this? How did Gibson originally do it?

https://www.flickr.c...04/14558276458/

No doubt....Nitrocellulose lacquer....it has its own 'learning curve' and precautions.

It's funny because on the Fender Forums there's a group of annoying guys that answer almost every question but they really know their stuff.... On this site I can almost see the tumbleweed rolling across the screen. A ghost town!

• 1 month later...

Archived