Gibson Brands Forums

Gibson SG Custom

johnny echols

Greetings fellow guitar lovers, I own a beautiful old Gibson SG (Les Paul) Custom... serial # 614748 It is either made of solid walnut or figured Mahogany. Any information concerning its age would be greatly appreciated.

If it says Les Paul on it and looks like an SG, it most likely made in 1961 or 1962. Any SG from that year would most definitely be made out of mahogany. They were generally cherry red or white. Sometimes the red finish does fade out and look almost brown. I believe I've only seen the customs made in white. I assume that it has the square block inlays on the neck. It might help if you post some pictures of it.

From '63 Gibson called it Sg. So you would think yours could be an 61-62, as you indicate it say Les Paul on the Trussrod. But your serial number might indicate it's a '63

1963 61450-64220

Serial number

Right, but the serial number that he posted has 6 digits, yours have 5. We need pics of the guitar and the codes on the pots.

Right, but the serial number that he posted has 6 digits, yours have 5. We need pics of the guitar and the codes on the pots.

Ahh your right, yea picks of guitar and pots then

If it say "Made In USA" on the Back it could with that serial number indicate that it is a 70-71 or 72

Archived