Gibson Brands Forums

Shelter From The Storm?

MorrisrownSal

I heard the song today in my car (original version), and it hit me to try it like this. I did just five verses, and I added a bridgey-chorus whatever to break up the verses. My thought is maybe this might work at an open mic on Monday night?

I know you guys are hardcore Dylan. If this does not work TELL ME. Its kind of like Gordon Lightfoot doing Dylan.

EA was pretty brave and we all were honest; I'd love the same from all of you.

Ok here goes...

https://soundcloud.c...-from-the-storm

I can't see why you can't give that a public airing sal.you have balls enough to mess with a Dylan song them you have balls to sing it live!

nice idea to invent the bridge to get out of the repetitiveness of the song (is that the songs secret? )

follow it with tangled up in blue :)

Couple of things... First thank you, second BBG maybe you are right... The repetition is part of The Dylan. He ain't Ryan Adams. Third, Em7... Further down, months back, I did another Dylan tune where I ripped off how you did it (I Want You). Your version was brilliant, and you know what they say... Copying is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sal - I would like to hear that one. But seriously, , , you 'ave a style of your own. Preserve it - because it shines (just took Shame On The M as well, , , for the 4th or 5th time)

Pinch me in the arm - Am I dancing with retro. . . !?!

And Sal - wait till you hear Mr Tamborine Man. We just did that one for Nick the other night ,-)

I agree! This is another fine take, Sal. Keep showing us what YOU hear- yours is a voice I trust, and I really appreciate your ability to go back to the well and bring us things we might otherwise have missed.

You've got skill and passion- hard combo to beat!

👍👍

Hey sal I just wanna clarify that my words weren't a criticism in any way. The 'messing with a dylan' thought was me being sarky. I'm a huge dylan fan , but I ain't no purist.

I was recognising the fear of playing a song and wondering if the audience will be able to stick this three chord repetitiveness. or do we , as musicians , get bored ourselves ? miniscule self disbelief will not spoil a song but it will make the difference between a good performance and a great one. I'm assuming you have that demon in the head because you've worked out a rather clever little break from the song .

i hope you take my words as a side issue from what you are doing here. i honestly liked your version and would buy you a drink if i heard it at an open night.

Yeah Sal that was a good track sounded great The SJ is sing'en right along with you good going. where ever you were going with the interlude was very fitting in fact I'd say if you let just that part take you it could be made into something all it's own Dylan may have opened the door but you walked right thru and took me along too thanks keep'em coming Sal.

Archived