Gibson Brands Forums

New J45 Ordered

brixa

Based in the UK i've just put a deposit down on a new J45 Custom Rosewood after playing a few that were consistently brilliant at my local Gibby stockist.

This will be a nice rosewood counterpart to my hog 160.

Can't wait now. It was on pre-order anyway and is on route from the US. I pick it up within the next 3 weeks and will post pics then.

Any experiences and current owner comments welcome 👍

Congratulations on the Custom J45 I'm sure you will love it too.

I have a Custom also it's a Mystic RW model It came with the LR Baggs but I removed that pup and installed the Trance Amulet MVT in it and its sound is fantastic .

great looking to boot!

Hers a pic..

image_zps27b5d3bc.jpg

image_zpsa8d67bd0.jpg

Hi brixa,

I'm UK based too and a recent J45 Custom owner. Obviously all opinions are personnel but for me this guitar is the whole package. Like most I started playing with sub £200 and worked my up through the ladder. I haven't owned many 'high end' guitars like this, my previous guitar was Gibson J-35 which I loved. The J-35 opened my eyes as to what a guitar could sound/play like and wetted my appetite for what else was out there. I managed a weekend end away in a city with plenty of guitar shops and played my way through many Taylors, Gibson and Martin. They all sounded way better than I expected and in my opinion at this level there are no bad guitars - it comes to personnel taste. Picking up the J45 Custom stopped me in my track's this guitar can be quiet and subtle (dust in the wind and behind blue eye's sound so good I almost must play them every day!). Pick up a pick (!) and strum and WOW it becomes a different guitar, this guitar can be played loud and powerful, it begs to be played harder and harder.

I've never given much thought to what woods a guitar is made with, assuming as with most things in life the more you pay the better the quality (generally) but this guitar with the rosewood back/sides sounded so different to everything else I've played. The sustain and clarity of the notes is almost unbelievable, I've never played a chord and heard such difference depend on how you 'attack' it, it can be bass heavy or midrange to die for. Strumming a song in the 3 or 4 chord range never appealed to me but you can bring such a feeling to it playing each chord slightly different I can spend an hour just strumming away when I really wanted to finger pick (my preferred style).

On my test weekend (and every other opportunity I've had) I've played guitars up to the £5000 range and cant see me selling this. I guess I'm a little different to most people on here in that I only have one guitar, I used to have 11 in the house but decided that at this level I could only justify owning one, I can fully understand people owing many guitars but my personality leans to me and 'A' guitar that expresses me, I will grow as a player with this guitar and we will continue to grow into each other.

The other aspect of this guitar is the looks! - it looks awesome!!! the sunburst is fantastic and the little touches to me scream quality, sjl200 pictures look great. I appreciate the looks aren't everyone's cup of tea but to me spending this type of money I want the guitar to look as good as it sounds.

On a slightly different note , after owing the guitar for a couple of months and again thinking I've spent this type of money on a guitar and I want the best from it I opted for a professional setup. I've never had one done before and always thought they were applicable to electric guitars which are much more 'fiddly'. All I can say is I'm a full convert! The guy I dealt with (not sure if I can name on here?) was fantastic, so helpful. When I got the guitar back it's now so smooth to play the action which I didn't think was bad is fantastic now playing is 'easier'. For the type of money paid for a setup I would recommend it to anyone.

Sorry for the long post, it's Saturday night, I've had a couple of buds, got the house to myself and it's time to play dust in wind!

Hope you enjoy the guitar as much as I do,

Graham.

PS my son recently purchased a Martin D35 (another rosewood back/sides) and when we play together the guitars really compliment each other, the sound is fantastic we both sit there with big grins on our face's (to be totally honest, if volume is what your looking for the D35 goes louder than the j45).

Cheers guys. Great comments and pics. Your making me even more impatient!

I got my first Gibson - a J45 standard brand new in 2010 and loved it but always wanted the j160e which i managed to get in January by swapping the J45. No regrets there - it's the same beast as the 45 with a bit more bling and serves my purpose of blasting out beatles classics in conjunction with my ric.

I got a brand new D28 last year then made the mistake of trying the upgraded D18. I got that and it blows my mind how good it is.

The upshot is the D28 is now up for grabs to pony up for the new J45. I went in to try the J15 which is amazing for the money. The same day i played the j45 custom and fell in love. Same comfortable neck as the standard 45, rosewood like the D28 but more comfortable and what looks! Jeez - it seems to have tbe lot.

I got a bit off the price when phoning in a deposit this morning.

Aaargh! I want it now.

Also in the UK...I bought my J45 custom a few months ago now from Guitar Village. I play it every day and it's a joy to simply own and even just look at! I love the inlay and herringbone and gold Grovers, not I know to everybody's taste, but to me it all looks stunning. It records wonderfully too. I'm quite sure you're gonna love it when it arrives :)

Also in the UK...I bought my J45 custom a few months ago now from Guitar Village. I play it every day and it's a joy to simply own and even just look at! I love the inlay and herringbone and gold Grovers, not I know to everybody's taste, but to me it all looks stunning. It records wonderfully too. I'm quite sure you're gonna love it when it arrives :)

My 1999 Gibson J45 Rosewood is absolutely a HUGE winner. I had a 2003 which I thought I'd never sell. Had to and now landed this one. This one is so lively. Harmonics off of most frets. Decent volume up on the neck too. My only MINOR gripe with the design is I would love a Collings or Bourgeois compound radius fret board instead of the straight 12". But it does record great and is so easy to play.

_57_zps139ecdb0.jpg _573_zpscea39910.jpg

You're going to be in guitar heaven. Enjoy the J45 Rosewood!

Based in the UK i've just put a deposit down on a new J45 Custom Rosewood after playing a few that were consistently brilliant at my local Gibby stockist.

This will be a nice rosewood counterpart to my hog 160.

Can't wait now. It was on pre-order anyway and is on route from the US. I pick it up within the next 3 weeks and will post pics then.

Any experiences and current owner comments welcome 👍

congratulations! can i ask why you didn't buy one of the awesome ones at your local dealer though?

Cheers modoc. My story maybe reads wrong...i have ordered from my local dealer. I played one a few weeks ago instore...i went abroad on holiday and by the time i got back it was sold. When i called them they had anothet on pre-order from Gibson...so i put a deposit down and i await its arrival. It may be several weeks before it arrives which suits me as i'm trying to sell my D28 and the Commonwealth Games are on where i stay and its all a bit mad in Glasgow at the moment!

Archived