Gibson Brands Forums

Long fingers vs. Short Fingers?

Aster1

Hi Ya'll,

I did a couple of searches but came up with nothing on this and have always wondered about it. My fingers are shorter than most guitarist that I see in videos. My glove size is a Medium all day long and my middle finger is 3" long. All are in proper proportion and are thin not thick fingers. My digits are plenty for me to do all my work, pitch horseshoes, or toss a Frisbee etc and have great dexterity with the sometimes detail work that I get into. When I play guitar I wonder about them being short however, although I don't think they will grow anymore at this point even with hormone therapy! [biggrin]

I can barr cords okay, for the most part, but the reach with the pinky just doesn't work out that well. Any tips from players with shorter fingers, I'm sure there must be some here? Not all of us can have long fingers or be a "John Holmes" either (course he's dead cuz of the little head doing the think'n for the big head). [rolleyes] I'm a rhythm player right now but will be working more on learning to play lead in my someday to be retired years.

Thanks in advance for your responses & time.

Aster

Archived