Gibson Brands Forums

J29 vs HD2 SS

duluthdan

They just had to go & put a sunburst on it, didn't they (?) ;).

The short scale Martin, and the rosewood Gibson finally allow for a decent tone comparison between the Martin and Gibson sounds, and no one does a comparo better than Tony & company at Music Villa.

Notwithstanding bracing/voicing differences, it can also show how the slope-shoulder shape reels in the rosewood sound, keeping it out of the mud. Interesting to listen, with eyes closed, to the decay of the single strum sequences starting @ t = 4:53; the Gibson has a brilliance, with greater frequency of resonance(visualizing what the sine wave would look like here). Of course, subject to variability from individual guitars & strings.

Good for Martin for offering this in a short scale.

Thanks for passing that along, Dan. (To have the vid in your post, use the "insert media" button instead of Insert Link for your url)

I found the difference still to be pretty signficant.

The Gibson brighter, more artiulate, just generally had more beans than the Martin which to my ears sounded 'sluggish'.

And then there's that burst, which has to be one of the worst examples of a sunburst Ive come across ..... really fugly.

They just had to go & put a sunburst on it, didn't they (?) ;).

Thanks for passing that along, Dan. (To have the vid in your post, use the "insert media" button instead of Insert Link for your url)

Huh? All I do is "Copy" "Paste". I have little clue of where to find the "Insert" command you speak of.

Huh? All I do is "Copy" "Paste". I have little clue of where to find the "Insert" command you speak of.

'Had my cursor arrow pointing to it, but the screen capture did not pick it up. Regardless; 6 buttons to the right of the :) (the overlapping picture frames) is the "Insert Media" icon.

ScreenShot2014-07-26at12712PM_zpsf496d53b.png

Archived