Gibson Brands Forums

Something wrong with my pickups?

petreestow

First off, thanks for reading this!

I have a 2011 Gibson SG Special. The kind with 2 humbuckers and 3 switches. When the pickup is on Either the Neck or the Bridge pickup the volume control and tone control work as they should. However, when the switch is in the middle and engages both pickups at the same time something happens. Let's say I have both the Neck and Bridge pickup volume up. If I turn one of the two volume knobs down when i get it all the way down to zero both pickups with turn off (even if the other is still up). Shouldn't you still be able to hear the other pickup since it's volume knob is still up? (i have to check to see if adjusting the tone knobs for the pickups will adjust the sound of the guitar if both volumes are up)

Any help on this would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks guys + gals

To answer your question - NO. That is the way it works. I have had many Gibson's and wired up several guitars from scratch, and that is correct. You are not the first person to post this. In the middle(both pups) position if one of the two volume pots is at 0 you will get no output. Your guitar is fine. Trust me I am not a doctor nor do play one on TV. Go to any large guitar store that carries Gibson's and plug in a dual hum model and it will be the same.

Exactly. [thumbup]

Furthermore, in case both volumes are up and both pickups engaged, both the tone controls are affecting both pickups. On 50's wiring guitars, they will do so regardless of volume positions.

Archived