Gibson Brands Forums

went to a Guitar Center in Sherman Oaks.

JuanCarlosVejar

Folks,

Went to a guitar center yesterday .

Played all the gibsons that they had .

All sounded good and had a great fit & finish.

There was songwriters , sj 200 , j 45 tv . J160e

J 45 custom rosewood.

I would have taken home anyone of those.but the J 160e and the J 45 tv spoke to me the most.

Ill post photos in a minute.

IMG-20140725-WA0031_zps05bf1ad7.jpg[/url]

here I am playing the J 160E :

IMG-20140725-WA0016_zps7ba1e2b4.jpg

IMG-20140725-WA0011_zpsd2a0a021.jpg

Hbird Standard :

IMG-20140725-WA0009_zpsac062794.jpg

a very nice Martin OMJM that sounded very nice :

IMG-20140725-WA0021_zps1421ffcc.jpg

and a uke :

IMG-20140725-WA0014_zpsb7bab945.jpg

JC

Sherman Oaks is my GC of choice, as well. They're pretty cool there... the attitude is not there, as I've detected in other local stores.

I once had a J-160E. Nice guitar. Why the heck did I sell it(?!)?. Did you bring one of them home?

You know, I still have never walked into a Guitar Center. I swear though, over the past six months I have not played any guitar outside of the house that I was even remotely interested in. The one that came the closest was of all things a 1970s Ventura - not sure what model it was but it looked to be a Martin New Yorker clone.

Sherman Oaks is my GC of choice, as well. They're pretty cool there... the attitude is not there, as I've detected in other local stores.

I once had a J-160E. Nice guitar. Why the heck did I sell it(?!)?. Did you bring one of them home?

Darling,

No I'm a lefty so I did not walk out of the store with any guitar.

But I was able to hear rosewood , mahogany and walnut gibsons for the first time.

JC

Wow - it must be hard meeting all those guitars upside down - like dating a chick walking on your hands.

Guess you have your methods.

Seems you had a nice day. .

Yeah you are right it's hard .

But at least I csn get a sense of the neck feel and the sound of the wood.

That way when I order something in lefty I have a clearer idea of what I want.

JC

Great pics! Thanks for sharing! That looks like a wonderful day at GC. I enjoy myself every time I enter one, especially if they carry a lot of high end Gibsons!

GL,

Thanks this guitar center got a batch of exceptional gibsons.

I checked for flaws in the finish or construction of various gibsons guitars and they were all nice and clean.

JC

Hey JCV, First I thought these were pix of your music room. Then I saw the uke and knew it wasn't! The hang tags were also a clue.

I was curious - I didn't see, and you didn't mention - Did the GC stock include any of their own Gibson models?

The only 2 I'm familiar with is a "GC Hummingbitrd" and a 'GC Advanced Jumbo':. They might be called "Pro".

I'm wondering if Gibson has backed off on these confusing, less expensive, and very different variations of the H'Bird and AJ? They may have decided to focus marketing and production capabilities to the J35 for example,

You know, I still have never walked into a Guitar Center. I swear though, over the past six months I have not played any guitar outside of the house that I was even remotely interested in. The one that came the closest was of all things a 1970s Ventura - not sure what model it was but it looked to be a Martin New Yorker clone.

"I like grapes." (From 'Charlie & The Chocolate Factory' )

I don't live in California, nor do we have any Guitar Centers here in Canada....I guess the closest thing would be our Long & McQuade stores.

I've heard a lot of American guitar enthusiasts rag on Guitar Center....Is it really that bad?

Hey JCV, First I thought these were pix of your music room. Then I saw the uke and knew it wasn't! The hang tags were also a clue.

I was curious - I didn't see, and you didn't mention - Did the GC stock include any of their own Gibson models?

The only 2 I'm familiar with is a "GC Hummingbitrd" and a 'GC Advanced Jumbo':. They might be called "Pro".

I'm wondering if Gibson has backed off on these confusing, less expensive, and very different variations of the H'Bird and AJ? They may have decided to focus marketing and production capabilities to the J35 for example,

40y,

None of those were anywhere in sight .

I believe it has to do with gibson not doing custom guitars.

JC

I don't live in California, nor do we have any Guitar Centers here in Canada....I guess the closest thing would be our Long & McQuade stores.

I've heard a lot of American guitar enthusiasts rag on Guitar Center....Is it really that bad?

I guess most of them are not that good .but some gc's are gems.

JC

It really depends on the location and staff. In my area there are two GC. One stays stocked very nicely, the closer one does not.

The whole character of the stores change as does the managers.

The one close to me has a very experienced in house luthier that is invaluable.

The good thing is they will bring in anything you want and you can check it out before you take it.

Deals are sometimes difficult to come by but on the other hand I've gotten some fantastic deals just being in the right spot at the right time.

I think their bread and butter are the more affordable guitars which is understandable and along that same line, most of the sales people are in tune to that group of customers.

I'd miss them if they were gone.

Two things I've found GC to be extremely useful for:

If they happen to stock a model you're interested in, you might be able to do some vital comparisons via multiple stores in your area. If you can sample three of the same model, one will almost always stand out. With three GCs in the metro area closest to me (80 miles), this has been possible on multiple occasions.

The other big plus is their extensive used inventory. Nationwide, some great stuff walks in their doors. Sometimes it's overpriced, sometimes it's not. Once in a while, they clearly don't know what they've got, and an incredible bargain can be found in both amps & instruments.

As long as one shops GC understanding their experience there is mostly what one makes of it then they are fine. I have found most of the employees enjoy music like I do and have various experience and expertise. In their own way they try to be helpful. Some are better than others. I really like the inventory they carry. Great place to compare guitars or try one I've heard about but haven't played. What I really like is their 30 day return policy. Many times after spending quality time at home with a guitar I've found I don't like it as much as I thought. They can be returned for full refund no questions as long as it hasn't been dinged. That's very helpful.

Archived