Gibson Brands Forums

Slash AFD LP will won't tune correctly...

GNR FREQ

My Slash AFD LP will not tune correctly. If I tune the guitar note for note (fretted fifth to open string below) it is out of tune when played. If I use the fifth and seventh harmonics to tune the guitar, it will play somewhat in tune. It seems to intonate correctly, with the exception of the low E.

Most of the notes (the open string notes) seem to be in tune, but the notes played above the open string tuning, seem to be on the sharp side. Even if intonated corretly.

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here??? I'm hugely aggravated. I've spent hours foolin with this thing.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

BMW FREQ

My Slash AFD LP will not tune correctly. If I tune the guitar note for note (fretted fifth to open string below) it is out of tune when played. If I use the fifth and seventh harmonics to tune the guitar, it will play somewhat in tune. It seems to intonate correctly, with the exception of the low E.

Most of the notes (the open string notes) seem to be in tune, but the notes played above the open string tuning, seem to be on the sharp side. Even if intonated corretly.

Anyone have any idea what the heck is going on here??? I'm hugely aggravated. I've spent hours foolin with this thing.

Thanks in advance to all that reply.

BMW FREQ

are you possibly fretting the notes so hard as to make them go sharp?

it's not that hard to do........

are you possibly fretting the notes so hard as to make them go sharp?

it's not that hard to do........

Thanks for the reply.

I know what you're implying, but no, I'm not pressing any harder than necessary when fretting the strings. Which is one of the reasons I'm so perplexed as to what's going on here.

The tuners are in good shape. The nut is seated and cut correctly. The bridge and stopbar are stable. The strings are new; but stretched well.

I even lowered the pickups, so they didn't have any influence on the tuning/intonation.

I'm at the end of my rope with this thing...

I've got be to missing something here - that's why I've turned to the forum for help.

WHAT HAVE I MISSED??!!

post-36191-026843800 1406429370_thumb.jpg

post-36191-023557100 1406429371_thumb.jpg

Alright - so it occured to me that there was one aspect I had overlooked. The truss rod. Yep - the truss rod. While the truss rod may be set to a desired relief, it may not be sitting at a stable position I gave the truss rod just a hint more tension towards less relief (clockwise), and voila'; tuning issues gone.

So, a note to someone having tuning issues...check the truss rod for stability/tension.

Alright - so it occured to me that there was one aspect I had overlooked. The truss rod. Yep - the truss rod. While the truss rod may be set to a desired relief, it may not be sitting at a stable position I gave the truss rod just a hint more tension towards less relief (clockwise), and voila'; tuning issues gone.

So, a note to someone having tuning issues...check the truss rod for stability/tension.

you answered my next question before I could ask it !

Rock On !

Welcome to the Forum

g

you answered my next question before I could ask it !

Rock On !

Welcome to the Forum

Well, thank you - I appreciate that.

So, yeah - I was sitting here last night thinking about it with my geetar in my lap, watchin' a little T.V...and all of a sudden it occurred to me that I had made an adjustment to the neck a few days ago, and the light bulb went on!!! A small tweak of the truss rod, and BAM!!! All better. Finicky things these LPs. I never had the problems with my strats that I've had with the LPs. But hey, the LPs are an awesome design, and ya just gotta take the good with the bad.

So, what Epi are you playing??

Archived