Gibson Brands Forums

What kind of Spruce?

cliffenstein

Does anyone know the kind and grade of Spruce that Epiphone uses for their solid tops?

AA and AAA grade Sitka Spruce is generally what you see in the specs for the tops on higher end acoustics, but Epiphone does not list the grade of or, in some cases, the kind of Spruce in their specs. I don't expect Epiphone to be using the same high grade spruce as the pricier brands, but I would love to know what they ARE using.

from what I can ascertain they use Sitka Spruce and looking at my DR500MNA it would be at least AA grade. This is from the tightness of the grain and grain figure. Also by tapping it I would say that is what they use.

I used to build my own line of guitars at one time so I have some knowledge of this subject.

now that is not to say they use that in all of their models but from the Masterbilt I have and the one I used to own I would say that's what they use on the Masterbilt series unless one of the models may of had a Cedar top and then I'm pretty sure that would be at least an AA grade also

Yeah...the website lists "Solid Sitka Spruce" for their Masterbilts and some of their regular models as well (AJ-220S, Jane), but other current Ephiphone model specs reference only "Solid Spruce" (IB64 Texan, Hummingbird Pro, Dove Pro).

Archived