Gibson Brands Forums

AJ-220S vs J-45 1963 reissue

cliffenstein

I gave my wife my RK Dirty Thirties Single O and so I'm getting another Vintage Sunburst guitar.

I love my Texan, but electrics aren't necessary in my next purchase. I want something good that a bone saddle/nut upgrade will make great. I've narrowed it down to two guitars...

Both are acoustic-only, both are $199. Here are the differences:

AJ-220 listed as solid sitka spruce top

J-45 listed only as solid spruce top

AJ-220 is long scale with 1.69 nut width

J-45 is short scale with 1.72 nut width

AJ-220 has chrome tuners

J-45 has vintage style tuners

AJ-220 has fretboard binding

J-45 has no fretboard binding

AJ-220 has a satin neck

J-45 has a gloss neck

AJ-220 has Texan style pickguard

J-45 has 1963 Gibson style pickguard

Anyone here play both of these? I could use a little insight.

I gave my wife my RK Dirty Thirties Single O and so I'm getting another Vintage Sunburst guitar.

I love my Texan, but electrics aren't necessary in my next purchase. I want something good that a bone saddle/nut upgrade will make great. I've narrowed it down to two guitars...

Both are acoustic only, both are $199. Here are the differences:

AJ-220 has a shorter, wider headstock

J-45 has a longer slightly more narrow headstock

AJ-220 has chrome tuners

AJ-220 is advanced jumbo slope shoulder

J-45 is standard slope shoulder

Hey man! The primary difference between these two guitars is the scale length, and the nut width. Short scale plays and sounds slightly different, some say easier action, and sweeter sound. 1.72 nut width is a wider width of the guitar neck. I would suggest you play some of each in a guitar store even if they are not Epiphone to get the feel of these. There may be neck profile differences (neck shape) as well. I own the 220SCE which is long scale.. and love the neck, tone, and feel of it. I also own the Epi Hummingbird which is short scale and love it as well, but I can hear and feel the differences between the two. I like both, some however prefer one over the other.

The scale difference for ease of play isn't really relevant to me. I cut my teeth on stratocasters which are long scale. My Texan feels extremely easy to play. I think I like the looks of the AJ-220s better, but if the J-45 sounds better than that's the direction I will go. I've read a lot of really great things about the AJ and if it sounds basically like my Texan then that will seal it for me.

Anyone play 'em both?

Both are acoustic only, both are $199. Here are the differences:

AJ-220 has a shorter, wider headstock

J-45 has a longer slightly more narrow headstock

AJ-220 has chrome tuners

AJ-220 has fretboard binding

J-45 has no fretboard binding

Play both and bring someone with you for another opinion then decide

Cliff - I had an AJ200 that I Loved - after about 2 years playing it sounded amazing - I dropped it and bust the neck

My local shop has an AJ45 - I'll play it at lunchtime and let you know my opinion of which is the better guitar if you like

Can't play both...the J-45 is only available from a few online retailers. I think I'm going to get the AJ-220s. Looks nicer and reviews seem to be consistently better as well.

played the j45 and wasn't that impressed - sounded a bit boxy and light

picked up an EF-500RCCE Masterbilt and it sounded amazing - really great tone and projection and i was just strumming and picking with my fingers

Now I want that guitar!

Thank you! I thought about that fretboard binding looking a bit odd with no binding around the headstock.

I wonder if that J-45 tone would become more alive and proper if the nut/saddle were switched out to bone.

Then again...probably best to just wait until the Masterbilt AJ-45ME gets released and then move on that. Anyone heard any release date or price point yet?

Thank you! I thought about that fretboard binding looking a bit odd with no binding around the headstock.

I wonder if that J-45 tone would become more alive and proper if the nut/saddle were switched out to bone.

Then again...probably best to just wait until the Masterbilt AJ-45ME gets released and then move on that. Anyone heard any release date or price point yet?

That one looks too good to miss - I'd love that if it sounds as good as the Masterbilts I've played and regretted not buying

I love my J45. I have the wine red version. I have played the aj-220's many times, and for my taste I would take the 45 every time. The slightly wider neck and the set up are great for me. I think that all guitars need bone nut and saddle, so I will eventually upgrade it. I was impressed by it right out of the box. The tuners keep it in tune well, and it just looks cool.

A Gibson Advanced Jumbo is the model name of a particular slope shouldered guitar (the way J-45 is), usually featuring a long-scale (most Gibsons are short-scale), distinctive arrow head inlays, and rosewood back and sides (also unusual on a Gibson--most are mahogany or maple). The Advanced Jumbo was originally made from 1935 to 1940. After a long absence, it was reissued in the 1990's. It was named for the fact that its decoration was a step-up (advanced) from the more modest Jumbo (now referred to as the Original Jumbo), the dot-necked, mahogany model that preceded it (notable as the first slope shouldered dreadnaught). People often think it was called "advanced" because its bracing was somewhat forward shifted in relation to later Gibson slope shoulder guitars, but that was not the case.

An Epiphone "advanced jumbo" is another name for a slope-shouldered dreadnought. The AJ-200 and AJ-45 can both be described as Epiphone advanced jumbos and slope shouldered dreadnaughts.

Red 333

Thanks for the correction, Red...I was comparing photos from two different websites which caused me to think there was a slight body shape variance. The differences between the Epiphone AJ-220S and the J-45 are the pickguard, fretboard binding, neck coating, tuners, scale length and nut width. Assuming Gibson confirms solid top, I think I'm leaning back to the J-45 now. Will buy it from zZounds and then replace the strings, nut, saddle and pins.

Original post updated.

I just heard back on some questions that I sent to Epiphone. Here's the reply...very interesting:

"The Ltd Ed ’63 J-45 is not a regular production model for Epiphone, it is a dealer exclusive model for AMS and zZounds. The quality of solid spruce top is equal on all the models with solid spruce tops. This dealer exclusive ’63 J-45 model has a laminated spruce top."

I obviously will not be picking up the J-45 and it's very interesting to see that there is no difference whatsoever in specs between the guitars listed as having a "solid sitka spruce top" vs those listed as having only a "solid spruce top."

I just heard back on some questions that I sent to Epiphone. Here's the reply...very interesting:

"The Ltd Ed ’63 J-45 is not a regular production model for Epiphone, it is a dealer exclusive model for AMS and zZounds. The quality of solid spruce top is equal on all the models with solid spruce tops. This dealer exclusive ’63 J-45 model has a laminated spruce top."

I obviously will not be picking up the J-45 and it's very interesting to see that there is no difference whatsoever in specs between the guitars listed as having a "solid sitka spruce top" vs those listed as having only a "solid spruce top."

Hi - I have both. I've had the AJ220s for about 8 months and I think it is a great guitar for the price. Very deep bass. I like it so much I bought the company!!! No kiddin! I decided that I would get the 1963 J45 lookalike. It costs 30% more than the AJ 220 here in the UK and is 30% worse. The J45 does not have a solid top as advertised by some sellers. In fact I have emailed a few to inform them that it has a laminate top as I had a dispute about it with the shop I bought the J45 from and they checked with Epiphone who said that somewhere along the line someone had misheard, misread, mislead about the spec. Get the AJ220 VS!!. Oh by the way - my AJ220 has a wider neck than my 1963 J45 Limited Edition bla bla. Each seems to have the spec of the other. Finally, what's all this about a Masterbilt AJ-45ME?? If this is true I want one - tomorrow.

Archived