Gibson Brands Forums

Car boot sale amp buy.... UPDATE.. ive played it properly now

Rabs

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now you need one of these cool 4-10 cabs. They are pretty cheap if you can find one around locally. It would be the perfect cab for that head.

LOL.. Nooooo, stop putting ideas in my head ;)

By the way... whats that last input/output hole for on the far right? (headphone socket?)

DSC_0202_zps41f6c879.jpg

That third input isn't factory...you can tell by how it's slightly lower than the other two, and is a more modern style of jack. I've looked at lots of pics of the 2195 on the internet; none of them have that third jack.

Somebody modded it at some point, no clue what that jack could be for.

-Ryan

That third input isn't factory...you can tell by how it's slightly lower than the other two, and is a more modern style of jack. I've looked at lots of pics of the 2195 on the internet; none of them have that third jack.

Somebody modded it at some point, no clue what that jack could be for.

-Ryan

Hmmm.. intriguing... I now really need to open it up and have a look inside there (not that I will know what im looking at ;))

By the way... whats that last input/output hole for on the far right? (headphone socket?)

Ooooh I did no notice that. It's not supposed to be there. I checked the schematic and a bunch of photos. Someone added it. So the question obviously is... what is it? Normally one would put outputs on the back but I don't see the need for another input so it has to be an output - logically. Headphone does make sense. Try it. You've nothing to lose really. It could also be a slave output (direct out) like we mentioned earlier). You could slide the chassis out a take a pic. someone might be able to see what that jack is wired to then.

Ooooh I did no notice that. It's not supposed to be there. I checked the schematic and a bunch of photos. Someone added it. So the question obviously is... what is it? Normally one would put outputs on the back but I don't see the need for another input so it has to be an output - logically. Headphone does make sense. Try it. You've nothing to lose really. It could also be a slave output (direct out) like we mentioned earlier). You could slide the chassis out a take a pic. someone might be able to see what that jack is wired to then.

What would I have to do.. Take all the knobs and jack nuts off? Or will it all slide out?

What would I have to do.. Take all the knobs and jack nuts off? Or will it all slide out?

No the knobs will slide out with the face plate. Most Marshalls have chassis bolts that go through the bottom of the cab.

No the knobs will slide out with the face plate. Most Marshalls have chassis bolts that go through the bottom of the cab.

Duhh, I should have known that.. lol..

well heres some pics.... so anyone know what that third socket is for feel free to let me know :)

DSC_0210_zpsd11baa4d.jpg

DSC_0211_zpsa8ff90d9.jpg

DSC_0212_zpsbe92178f.jpg

DSC_0213_zpsc33fa49e.jpg

DSC_0214_zps696d2a3a.jpg

DSC_0215_zpscd8c41cb.jpg

well heres some pics.... so anyone know what that third socket is for feel free to let me know :)

As it seems to be wired up to the 'Middle' pot can I ask, Rabs, does that pot have any effect on the sound produced by the amp?

P.

As it seems to be wired up to the 'Middle' pot can I ask, Rabs, does that pot have any effect on the sound produced by the amp?

P.

Yes they all worked.. its the mid eq... Of course I could barely hear it cos I didn't want to blow my speaker :) but they all definitely had some effect even if small.. (you can just about hear it on the vid if you turn it up)

And im not sure its actually wired to that pot, just the wires go behind it and are the red and yellow wires that you can see. I would have to open it again to be sure though. Actually in looking again you can see here its not wired to the pot

DSC_0215_zpscd8c41cb.jpg

In this image you can also see a resistor or two on the input itself...wonder what those could be for...

-Ryan

No idea... Wheres all the amp people when we need them? :)

Based on where the wires are inserted on the board (far away from the other inputs) I'd say it's gotta be an output. The most logical choices would be headphone or line output. Try it. You ain't gonna break nothin. [biggrin]

Based on where the wires are inserted on the board (far away from the other inputs) I'd say it's gotta be an output. The most logical choices would be headphone or line output. Try it. You ain't gonna break nothin. [biggrin]

Yeah I might give it a go soon.. If it is then I can plug it into my digital 4 track :)

In this image you can also see a resistor or two on the input itself...wonder what those could be for...

Hang On!.......Aren't they..........................Flux Capacitors? ? ? ? . . . . . . [scared]

Ahhh....Here we go again...as it were.....see y'all tomorrow!

P.

What's the capacitor number that has the wires hooked in there? I can't read it cause it's too blurry. C12? It looks like the wires have shielding hooked up to the pot and then the insulated leads run to the board

If it's C12, then it looks like a preamp out or power amp in. It's between the tone stack and the master volume. The resistors are 1M, so that suggests an input. :unsure:

What's the capacitor number that has the wires hooked in there? I can't read it cause it's too blurry. C12? It looks like the wires have shielding hooked up to the pot and then the insulated leads run to the board

If it's C12, then it looks like a preamp out or power amp in. It's between the tone stack and the master volume. The resistors are 1M, so that suggests an input. :unsure:

I just checked the schematic...it looks like C12 to me as well, and my guess is it's a power amp in, aka a slave input. Makes sense with a relatively high-wattage solid state head in a compact form; perfect for an external power amp.

-Ryan

Thanks for the info..

Is this better?

DSC_0241_zpsa3a8388d.jpg

DSC_0242_zps38b71333.jpg

DSC_0244_zps4c8be04a.jpg

DSC_0251_zpsb4701da5.jpg

Check and see if you get anything in some headphones or plug it up to the effects loop return of another amp and see if there's any sound. If so, then it's probably a D.I. that's independent of the master volume.

And the prize goes to Mr Bluesplayer :)

Cheers for the help (and yes I know my bottom E is out of tune :))

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3S69A-DokEw

Archived