Gibson Brands Forums

Car boot sale amp buy.... UPDATE.. ive played it properly now

Rabs

I went to another car boot sale today to see what I could find and found this which I bartered down from £60 to £20 :) lol I had no idea what it was, it was a bit of a punt.. But I thought hey, it says Marshall on the front and "made in England" on the back how bad can it be for £20...

But I now have two issues...

A, I don't have a speaker cab to test it out on (the light came on when I plugged it in and no smoke came out)

B, and if you check the pics, the screws on the back have now been well screwed lol. I tried to undo them and they just mushed so im not sure what to do about that now (maybe drill them out?)

So here it is.. See what you think. Its a 2195 Solid State (boo, why couldn't it have been a tube [-( )

DSC_0201_zps380eb10a.jpg

DSC_0202_zps41f6c879.jpg

DSC_0203_zps06300512.jpg

DSC_0189_zps838fcf67.jpg

DSC_0190_zps2bdc55a1.jpg

DSC_0191_zps4a0aa91a.jpg

DSC_0196_zps6844be17.jpg

DSC_0197_zps7e907fa1.jpg

And this is what happened when I tried to unscrew it :o

DSC_0198_zps05a05f33.jpg

So I have done some searching.. Some say its good, some say its crap (as usual :)) But I trust what you guys say.. heres a vid I found

Then I saw this link where someone had turned one into a tube amp (hows that done then? :-k )

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Respect!

I'll give ya $40 for it!!

A good trick for those screws before you start drilling them is to try to use a pair of ViceGrip pliers to grip the sides and try to carefully back it out. It's a tedious chore but it can work.

Respect!

I'll give ya $40 for it!!

A good trick for those screws before you start drilling them is to try to use a pair of ViceGrip pliers to grip the sides and try to carefully back it out. It's a tedious chore but it can work.

Yeah I had thought of that, but all my tools are at my workshop (garage :)) so I will grab some when im there tomorrow and give that a go.

Very nice,

Why are you trying to open it? curiosity or are you trying to fix it or clean it?

The tube conversion sounds great, very nice Yngwie sound and the guy is obviously a fan but I wonder how much it costs to convert an amp, my understanding is that you cannot use the same transformers and then if you add the tubes you are essentially gutting the amp and making a new one.

Its a 2195 Solid State (boo, why couldn't it have been a tube [-( )

Because it would have to be a lot larger and it would not have been £20 [biggrin]

But that's a nice score regardless. If the distortion is not pleasing just play it clean and use pedals. Prolly make a cracking good bass amp too. [thumbup]

Very nice,

Why are you trying to open it? curiosity or are you trying to fix it or clean it?

The tube conversion sounds great, very nice Yngwie sound and the guy is obviously a fan but I wonder how much it costs to convert an amp, my understanding is that you cannot use the same transformers and then if you add the tubes you are essentially gutting the amp and making a new one.

Yeah just to have a look inside and see what I got and what the state of everything is inside it..

Really I got it just to try and re-sell it on (im sure I will get more than £20 (well that's what I hoped anyway) :unsure: I don't need a big head with a speaker.... Even if its the most amazing amp in the world I have a tiny 1 bed flat and don't even have the room for it let alone the space to use a 100w head :)

Because it would have to be a lot larger and it would not have been £20 [biggrin]

But that's a nice score regardless. If the distortion is not pleasing just play it clean and use pedals. Prolly make a cracking good bass amp too. [thumbup]

Well its from the 70s, so I can sell it as a vintage Marshall (solid state) :P

Well its from the 70s, so I can sell it as a vintage Marshall (solid state) :P

True. They were only made between 1976 and 1980, and they are not very common. You should be able to double your money (but that's about it). The last one that sold on eBay UK went £39.

What would happen if I tried to plug its output into the input of my practice amp? (just to see if it works) or is that a VREY bad idea?

That's called slaving. Since both amps are solid state nothing bad would happen, but it'll likely sound like a$$. The input of your guitar amp is made for instrument level signal not the hot signal the output of the 2195 would be sending it. A better arrangement is using the Marshall as a power amp and taking a slave signal from a good lower powered amp like that Slash combo you are looking at. You can a run something like a Red Box between the Slash and it's speaker and pull the slave from that into the big Marshall which then acts basically like a power amp. Of course you'd need a cab for that 2195 head. I used to slave like this a lot in the 80s.

That's called slaving. Since both amps are solid state nothing bad would happen, but it'll likely sound like a$$. The input of your guitar amp is made for instrument level signal not the hot signal the output of the 2195 would be sending it. A better arrangement is using the Marshall as a power amp and taking a slave signal from a good lower powered amp like that Slash combo you are looking at. You can a run something like a Red Box between the Slash and it's speaker and pull the slave from that into the big Marshall which then acts basically like a power amp. Of course you'd need a cab for that 2195 head. I used to slave like this a lot in the 80s.

Well I just want to check that it makes some noise and works really, I didn't expect it to sound good :)

Speaker looks like this... means very little to me

DSC_0204_zpsb463c7fc.jpg

DSC_0205_zpsc787c229.jpg

DSC_0208_zps2272a16e.jpg

The speaker is 8 ohms, probably rated for 15 or 20 watts since this is a SS amp...

Your new head puts out 65 watts at 8 ohms. I mean, you could probably plug it in if you were Really careful and kept the volume on the amp at whisper levels, just to see if it works...but any louder and you'll probably blow the speaker.

-Ryan

The speaker is 8 ohms, probably rated for 15 or 20 watts since this is a SS amp...

Your new head puts out 65 watts at 8 ohms. I mean, you could probably plug it in if you were Really careful and kept the volume on the amp at whisper levels, just to see if it works...but any louder and you'll probably blow the speaker.

-Ryan

So im assuming to use it properly I would need something like this?

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/guitars/guitar-amps/87579-marshall-mx112-guitar-speaker-cab-75w-1x12-/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=base&gclid=CNfo3peC5r8CFazItAodCFcAuw

-Ryan

Ok I did it :) (couldn't stand not knowing)

and heres the results..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpZbWbyctq4

-Ryan

All in all you did good

Archived