Gibson Brands Forums

Epiphone EJ 160E

Ralph F.

A friend of mine bought an Epi John Lennon model.

This an acoustic model with a pickup right at the end of the fingerboard.

http://www.guitarcen...604-i1150093.gc

Aside from the fact I don't like electric knobs on flattops this guitar has a really nice acoustic sound and thru my amp it sounds good too.

What I'm wondering is what kind if strings does it use? the experts say don't put acoustic strings on an electric guitar.

Of course the experts also say don't use electric strings on an acoustic guitar.

He's still using the strings that came on it and the 1st & 2nd strings are silver, not bronze colored like most acoustic strings.

I was with him whe he bought it but neither of us thought to ask.

Ralph

If you want to play electric you can't use bronze strings. DR make Zebra strings one wrap bronze,one nickel specifically for acoustics with magnetic pickups.

I'd be mighty tempted to try Martin Monel,recently marketed as Retro/Tony Rice strings.

If you want to play electric you can't use bronze strings. DR make Zebra strings one wrap bronze,one nickel specifically for acoustics with magnetic pickups.

I'd be mighty tempted to try Martin Monel,recently marketed as Retro/Tony Rice strings.

• 2 weeks later...

A friend of mine bought an Epi John Lennon model.

This an acoustic model with a pickup right at the end of the fingerboard.

http://www.guitarcen...604-i1150093.gc

Aside from the fact I don't like electric knobs on flattops this guitar has a really nice acoustic sound and thru my amp it sounds good too.

What I'm wondering is what kind if strings does it use? the experts say don't put acoustic strings on an electric guitar.

Of course the experts also say don't use electric strings on an acoustic guitar.

He's still using the strings that came on it and the 1st & 2nd strings are silver, not bronze colored like most acoustic strings.

I was with him whe he bought it but neither of us thought to ask.

Ralph

. I'm using the DR Zebra 11/50 strings on mine and they sound really nice, get that acoustic sound and electric when I use a compressor pedal ,those are the best strings for the Epi Ej160e ...and they last forever they work very well with the magnetic pickup ..try them you will love them and they also sound full acoustic unplugged too

Archived